Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 install experience and some tips ...

Not directed towards you Rob - one thing to consider on using spad / fsuipc method I did notice you have to play with the cable placement - had to try different positions on usb inputs on back of computer and hub to get all components working happy together

Leave spad in sys tray  to start up with windows - fyi using paid version of fsuipc not sure if that matters

I've had this problem with USB's vs control plug-ins  for years Rich with FSX, FS9, P3D. Got to one point had to buy extra USB port.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Couple more bits of info I should add:

1.  After you have Win10 installed and working and all USB devices are good to go, you can go back into the UEFI/BIOS and disable CSM which will force UEFI and should speed up boot times.  You may need to unplug/plug any USB devices not showing up after disabling CSM once the OS loads (one time deal) - make sure you use the same port. 

2.  If you are using Intel's 750 NVMe and/or any M.2 storage devices, you'll need to have UEFI drivers ready during the Win10 install process.

On the USB front, if you're like me and have about 30+ USB devices connected to your PC you can run into trouble using USB 3.0 ports/hubs (as in you hit the max supported very early, in my case 19 devices) ... at first glance the USB 3.0 spec says max of 127 devices per port (USB 2.0 it's 255 devices).  Plenty right?  Well no, the Intel xHCI controller is rather limited to 96 hub address, but a device can consume 5 end points, so you really have 96 divide by 5 so one really only has about 19 devices.  Good thread here with some limited input from Intel: https://communities.intel.com/thread/52417?start=0&tstart=0

Newer motherboards seem to have less USB 2.0 ports and more USB 3.0 ports .. so if one is going to run a lot of USB devices, I'd recommend getting a separate USB 2.0 PCIe card and always use powered HUBS (be it 2.0 or 3.0) and do NOT mix USB 2.0 devices with USB 3.0 ports.  It sounds to me that USB 3.0 (or at least the Intel controllers) are a bit of a limiting hack rather than proper full implementation ... guess because of power requirements and the fact that very few people have more than 19 attached devices.

Cheers, Rob.

Windows 10 also has a "fast boot" option, which really speeds up boot time.

Windows 10 also has a "fast boot" option, which really speeds up boot time.

And you should shut that off in Windows 10 know issue your pc will not shut down - I had this problem and the way to fix it is to shut it off

Rich Sennett

And you should shut that off in Windows 10 know issue your pc will not shut down

Fast Boot issue was fixed some time ago ... but Fast Boot is really just a "form" of hibernation, any devices you have that don't have drivers that support "fast boot" aka hibernation will cause issues (like not shut downing/hibernating).

Cheers, Rob.

And you should shut that off in Windows 10 know issue your pc will not shut down - I had this problem and the way to fix it is to shut it off

Nope, it works perfectly for me. It's basically a glorified hibernate mode that saves a snapshot of what's in memory and brings it back at boot up.

Nope, it works perfectly for me. It's basically a glorified hibernate mode that saves a snapshot of what's in memory and brings it back at boot up.

Have not tried with latest Windows build but had to shut it off on build before it - no biggie pc starts up in no time so I will leave it alone for now 

Rich Sennett

UPDATE:

I was having some issues with loading DLL and EXEs from the DLL.XML and EXE.XML ... EXE just wouldn't load and I'd get an ContentError.log entry with "Failed Loading ...  DLL".

Normally I set Prepar3D.exe to "Run as Administrator" just to avoid any possible security blocking issues (probably not required but I do it for good measure).  If you right click and select properties on the Prepar3d.exe, Win 10 has an option to "Change settings for all users" which brings up another settings dialog with a checkbox for "Run this program as an administrator" in the "all user context".  DO NOT check this box.

efd8c7cfa27a6deb121c4dc4461b2d9b.jpg

Click on "Change settings for all users"

edef7b65d14e1a9bd88ce84e340cc2d9.jpg

Do NOT check item in RED BOX.

Having BOTH of these items checked will prevent P3D from loading anything in the DLL.XML and EXE.XML.  Lesson learned for myself, but thought I'd share in case anyone else went down this path and made the same mistake.

Cheers, Rob.

On the plus side Windows 10 Enterprise media player has native support for playback of 4K MP4 files ... finally!!!

Cheers, Rob.

UPDATE:

I was having some issues with loading DLL and EXEs from the DLL.XML and EXE.XML ... EXE just wouldn't load and I'd get an ContentError.log entry with "Failed Loading ...  DLL".

Normally I set Prepar3D.exe to "Run as Administrator" just to avoid any possible security blocking issues (probably not required but I do it for good measure).  If you right click and select properties on the Prepar3d.exe, Win 10 has an option to "Change settings for all users" which brings up another settings dialog with a checkbox for "Run this program as an administrator" in the "all user context".  DO NOT check this box.

Having BOTH of these items checked will prevent P3D from loading anything in the DLL.XML and EXE.XML.  Lesson learned for myself, but thought I'd share in case anyone else went down this path and made the same mistake.

Cheers, Rob.

Good to know thanks Rob I dont have them checked so I guess all is good

Rich Sennett

One other nice finding ... nVidia ShadowPlay recordings under Win10 are no longer bound to 4GB file size limit and doesn't segment the files while recording.  This is VERY good news.  An no it's not the OS file system difference it's:

"ShadowPlay uses the Windows MFT MP4 muxer to multiplex video and audio stream into one single MP4 file. This implementation on Win7 has the limitation of not being able to output valid MP4 file that is larger than 4GB. Win8 does not have this limitation."

More info here (Win8 but Win10 is the same): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757763(v=vs.85).aspx

So for those of you that make videos using ShadowPlay on Win7 ... you have "small" reason to move up to Win10.

Cheers, Rob.

I just  upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. I have a Dell Aurora R4 and upgraded all of my drivers from Dell's website and upgraded BIOS sequentially from A 03 to A11 before the upgrade. I also upgraded to latest NVIDIA driver for my GTX 580.

The upgrade went very smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised that my wallpaper and all of my desktop Icons were preserved, making it look like my Win 7 desktop.

I installed my Saitek drivers for Win 10 for my Pro Flight Yoke, and Rudder Pedals, and reconfigured my NVIDIA inspector to old settings under Win 7 after the upgrade.

I can tell no  difference in FSX under Win 10 compared to Win 7. I also use Active Sky Next, REX texture Direct, PFPX, and Opus FSI.

Everything works as before. No issues.

And this was not a clean install , just an in place upgrade.

Greg

Greg Clark

I just  upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. I have a Dell Aurora R4 and upgraded all of my drivers from Dell's website and upgraded BIOS sequentially from A 03 to A11 before the upgrade. I also upgraded to latest NVIDIA driver for my GTX 580.

The upgrade went very smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised that my wallpaper and all of my desktop Icons were preserved, making it look like my Win 7 desktop.

I installed my Saitek drivers for Win 10 for my Pro Flight Yoke, and Rudder Pedals, and reconfigured my NVIDIA inspector to old settings under Win 7 after the upgrade.

I can tell no  difference in FSX under Win 10 compared to Win 7. I also use Active Sky Next, REX texture Direct, PFPX, and Opus FSI.

Everything works as before. No issues.

And this was not a clean install , just an in place upgrade.

Greg

Do a clean install when you can its way better - it can be done right in windows10 since you have it installed now - I did it - its way cool no more fussing with disks - super

Rich Sennett

On 28/12/2015 at 7:27 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

UPDATE:

efd8c7cfa27a6deb121c4dc4461b2d9b.jpg

Click on "Change settings for all users"

edef7b65d14e1a9bd88ce84e340cc2d9.jpg

Do NOT check item in RED BOX.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the tip, by habit, I tend to do this. Possibly why Track IR was not working with P3D unless I ran it as admin..

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I have to reinstall everything.

Can i simply format my HDD`S to delete everything and start with W10 Setup?

Mike