Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 install experience and some tips ...

On 14/05/2017 at 1:03 AM, bigmike said:

I have to reinstall everything.

Can i simply format my HDD`S to delete everything and start with W10 Setup?

Mike

Yes you can.
Win10 serial is stored in bios.
During install just ignore requests to enter Win10 serial number.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Another ? if i may,  There is a folder after upgrade labeled old.win taking up some 20gb of space is it alright to delete?  Thanks in advance...

Some of us really appreciate the hard work you and many others do to help make this hobby so much fun now without all the hassle, Thank You!!! 

Steve

5 hours ago, sluihn said:

There is a folder after upgrade labeled old.win taking up some 20gb of space

old.win or Windows.old?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

caught me...away from flt sim computer.   You are correct Windows.old    can this be removed as i dont usually mess with system anything and just do full reinstall.

Thanks again

Steve 

2 hours ago, sluihn said:

caught me...away from flt sim computer.   You are correct Windows.old    can this be removed as i dont usually mess with system anything and just do full reinstall.

Thanks again

Steve 

Yes sure.
Apparently it is best to remove it via the Wndows Disk Cleanup utility.
Click the "Clean up System Files" button on the third window that comes up
and check the 'Previous Windows installation" box before running.

https://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-delete-the-windows-old-folder-from-windows-10/

gb.

Truely awesome help around here. Now that everything wants to install on to the C: Windows drive this will make some room.

Thanks Again

Steve

Yup, can be deleted!

It is a law of the Universe stating that the more hard drive space you have, the more you fill it with 'just in case I will use it' stuff!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

My bits on Win10:

after long hesitation, I upgraded last week from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win10 Pro 64bit. I had to do that because I will buy a new VR set which needs Win10. Long story short: downloaded Microsoft media creation tool, ran it as administrator, completed upgrade via internet after 1 hour. To my surprise, Win10 automatically activated (anyway, I have a license). After some days, I was sure that I did not want to return to Win7 and let control panel clean out the old stuff. To my delight, my SSD is now 20Gb lighter compared to Win7.

Only obstacle: when I tested the Majestic Dash 8, P3D either crashed or the airplane behaved totally crazy with flickering displays. I did an un-install / re-install and found that DirectX9 was installed, too. Now, the Dash 8 is back to the hangar. I conclude that the Win10 upgrade process deleted DirectX9 - do not forget.

Michael

Edited by michaelth

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I've got an HP workstation that has a separate HP partition (called drive E) for Win 7 Pro on my OS duel drive RAID setup. What's the best way to deal with that?