Rob Ainscough

Windows 10 install experience and some tips ...

One other nice finding ... nVidia ShadowPlay recordings under Win10 are no longer bound to 4GB file size limit and doesn't segment the files while recording.  This is VERY good news.  An no it's not the OS file system difference it's:

"ShadowPlay uses the Windows MFT MP4 muxer to multiplex video and audio stream into one single MP4 file. This implementation on Win7 has the limitation of not being able to output valid MP4 file that is larger than 4GB. Win8 does not have this limitation."

More info here (Win8 but Win10 is the same): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757763(v=vs.85).aspx

So for those of you that make videos using ShadowPlay on Win7 ... you have "small" reason to move up to Win10.

Cheers, Rob.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I just  upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. I have a Dell Aurora R4 and upgraded all of my drivers from Dell's website and upgraded BIOS sequentially from A 03 to A11 before the upgrade. I also upgraded to latest NVIDIA driver for my GTX 580.

The upgrade went very smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised that my wallpaper and all of my desktop Icons were preserved, making it look like my Win 7 desktop.

I installed my Saitek drivers for Win 10 for my Pro Flight Yoke, and Rudder Pedals, and reconfigured my NVIDIA inspector to old settings under Win 7 after the upgrade.

I can tell no  difference in FSX under Win 10 compared to Win 7. I also use Active Sky Next, REX texture Direct, PFPX, and Opus FSI.

Everything works as before. No issues.

And this was not a clean install , just an in place upgrade.

Greg

I just  upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. I have a Dell Aurora R4 and upgraded all of my drivers from Dell's website and upgraded BIOS sequentially from A 03 to A11 before the upgrade. I also upgraded to latest NVIDIA driver for my GTX 580.

The upgrade went very smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised that my wallpaper and all of my desktop Icons were preserved, making it look like my Win 7 desktop.

I installed my Saitek drivers for Win 10 for my Pro Flight Yoke, and Rudder Pedals, and reconfigured my NVIDIA inspector to old settings under Win 7 after the upgrade.

I can tell no  difference in FSX under Win 10 compared to Win 7. I also use Active Sky Next, REX texture Direct, PFPX, and Opus FSI.

Everything works as before. No issues.

And this was not a clean install , just an in place upgrade.

Greg

Do a clean install when you can its way better - it can be done right in windows10 since you have it installed now - I did it - its way cool no more fussing with disks - super

On 28/12/2015 at 7:27 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

UPDATE:

I was having some issues with loading DLL and EXEs from the DLL.XML and EXE.XML ... EXE just wouldn't load and I'd get an ContentError.log entry with "Failed Loading ...  DLL".

Normally I set Prepar3D.exe to "Run as Administrator" just to avoid any possible security blocking issues (probably not required but I do it for good measure).  If you right click and select properties on the Prepar3d.exe, Win 10 has an option to "Change settings for all users" which brings up another settings dialog with a checkbox for "Run this program as an administrator" in the "all user context".  DO NOT check this box.

efd8c7cfa27a6deb121c4dc4461b2d9b.jpg

Click on "Change settings for all users"

edef7b65d14e1a9bd88ce84e340cc2d9.jpg

Do NOT check item in RED BOX.

Having BOTH of these items checked will prevent P3D from loading anything in the DLL.XML and EXE.XML.  Lesson learned for myself, but thought I'd share in case anyone else went down this path and made the same mistake.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the tip, by habit, I tend to do this. Possibly why Track IR was not working with P3D unless I ran it as admin..

I have to reinstall everything.

Can i simply format my HDD`S to delete everything and start with W10 Setup?

Mike

On 14/05/2017 at 1:03 AM, bigmike said:

I have to reinstall everything.

Can i simply format my HDD`S to delete everything and start with W10 Setup?

Mike

Yes you can.
Win10 serial is stored in bios.
During install just ignore requests to enter Win10 serial number.

gb.

Another ? if i may,  There is a folder after upgrade labeled old.win taking up some 20gb of space is it alright to delete?  Thanks in advance...

Some of us really appreciate the hard work you and many others do to help make this hobby so much fun now without all the hassle, Thank You!!! 

Steve

5 hours ago, sluihn said:

There is a folder after upgrade labeled old.win taking up some 20gb of space

old.win or Windows.old?

gb.

caught me...away from flt sim computer.   You are correct Windows.old    can this be removed as i dont usually mess with system anything and just do full reinstall.

Thanks again

Steve 

2 hours ago, sluihn said:

caught me...away from flt sim computer.   You are correct Windows.old    can this be removed as i dont usually mess with system anything and just do full reinstall.

Thanks again

Steve 

Yes sure.
Apparently it is best to remove it via the Wndows Disk Cleanup utility.
Click the "Clean up System Files" button on the third window that comes up
and check the 'Previous Windows installation" box before running.

https://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-delete-the-windows-old-folder-from-windows-10/

gb.

Truely awesome help around here. Now that everything wants to install on to the C: Windows drive this will make some room.

Thanks Again

Steve

Yup, can be deleted!

It is a law of the Universe stating that the more hard drive space you have, the more you fill it with 'just in case I will use it' stuff!