Sign in to follow this  
Flapsset

New Computer: Scenery issues

Hello everyone,

Having been out of flight simming for several years now, I recently decided to build a new rig specifically for MFSX and get back into it.

Basically all scenery (autogen etc) is either blurred or not loading until the aircraft is within 1-2 nm, please see the screenshot.

FSX.jpg

I've tried tests with the sliders in MFSX (including at minimal levels) and I've tried a variety of recommended adjustments to the fsx.cfg file with no changes.

My specs are:

CPU: I7 6700K

GPU: GTX 960

RAM: 8GB

Windows 10 & MFSX installed on a SSD

Any ideas whats going on and how to fix it?

Kind regards

Strongly recommend you check out the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide and use the settings recommended there.  The "blurries" are associated with high settings.  Your GPU just cannot render the scenery fast enough as you are placing too many demands on it.

The link to the guide is in my signature.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Strongly recommend you check out the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide and use the settings recommended there.  The "blurries" are associated with high settings.  Your GPU just cannot render the scenery fast enough as you are placing too many demands on it.

The link to the guide is in my signature.

Best regards,

Thank you Jim,

I'm finding the autogen and blurries are occurring at the same distance even with low-moderate settings. Also frame rates are very high when settings are set high.

Lastly pausing the game doesn't see any "catching up" of loading scenery.

Is your advice still correct?

Again thank you for your time Jim.

Kind regards

Is your advice still correct?

Yes.  What are you setting to low-moderate?  If you have LOD_Radius set at 7.0 as some recommend and other settings set to "low-moderate" then that could cause a problem too.  If you have tweaks employed, like the bufferpool tweak, you will see the blurries as it will slow down the rendering if not properly employed.  The bufferpool tweak is recommended only if you want to tweak Autogen.  Same goes with another tweak called the AffinityMask.  Whenever you put parameters in your fsx.cfg, you are asking for issues as the settings are not the same for every setup or computer system.  I do not recommend tweaks especially with systems after Sandy Bridge i7 systems.  In any case, if you cannot get your sim to render textures rapidly and clearly, then you have high settings somewhere that is causing the issue.  It could also be a setting in your display driver settings.  Page 4 of the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide explains how to change the LOD_Radius to 6.5 which works for most.  I use it a lot and have seen no problems.  If I have it at 7.0 or higher, I'll get an occasional freeze or crash.

You need to make sure you also have the following parameter in the graphics section of the FSX.cfg:  highmemfix=1.  It is not a tweak but a fix to FSX that was supposed to be installed when SP2/Acceleration were released.  Like I said above, try the settings I suggested in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  They are high too but they do work for most systems.  You can try another excellent guide put out by Nick Needham called the The FSX Computer System - the Bible. 

Another thing that will bring down fast rendering is photoscenery.  It loads around the world whether you are flying over it or not.  This is explained in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  When you have programs like this that are loading textures whether you are using the textures or not, then that taxes the fsx configuration/display driver settings and any high settings will be emphasized thus slowing down the loading time.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Some "scenery" won't load until you are close.  That's just the nature of FSX since they removed alpha fade.  Kinda ruined it IMO. 

Anyhow, with my new build I had the same problem.  I tweaked the computer pretty good and started with lower settings in FSX (Steam).  Even going back and lower it more didn't help.  I was getting aggravated considering my settings are kinda low considering what other people seem to be running.  I just wanted it to look good and run smooth.  I realized my payware aircraft and other add ons were going to bring things down, but I never had such horrible looking textures, even in FS9. 

Anyhow, I finally went and increased LOD to 6.5 and it's like a new sim now.  Strange.  Still runs smooth and looks great.  Weird.  It's often that one tweak that changes everything.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Many good points here, with regards to the issue with photoscenery, that applies to all scenery with photoscenery bgl's that covers smaller areas, not only large scenery packs with "photoareas".

I use the freeware Scenery Config Editor to group and switfly disable groups of areas that I don't need for a certain flight. Makes all the difference in my setup.

23.png

Thank you everyone, all fixed

Kind regards

Might I ask you how you managed to fixed this horrific plague that's been haunting me for a while now. I've tried many tweaks and I also lowered my settings none of which helped me.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Thank you everyone, all fixed

Kind regards

Please don't leave us hanging.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I'd pay someone for a solution to this. My FSX is running great and has almost none stutters, but damn the slow terrain loading is killing all the joy fOR me. If only more addon developers would start developing their addons for X-plane :sad:

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

I think I answered it in my post (although every computer system and FSX is setup differently).  Use the settings in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for your video card and FSX settings.  You must not be using any tweaks.  Tweaks bad.  Go fly. 

The OP's issue was the blurries.  The AVSIM Conf Guide fixes the blurries.  The blurries and slow rendering is solely caused by high settings and/or tweaks improperly employed.  If you are flying around commercial airports like KORD/KJFK/KIAD, all the airports in England, etc., then you need to reduce the settings.  Just too much eye-candy and you probably will never get rid of it totally.  I have instant rendering BUT, when looking out the pilots left window at 200 mph, the scenery seems to have a hard time catching up and it looks like it might be stuttering but I know of no solution to this problem other than slowing down your aircraft or don't look out the side windows at high speeds.  Look at your gauges instead.  With the aged programming of FSX/FSX-SE/and P3D (FSX-SE and P3D are based off of the FSX programming), I doubt we will see much improvement. 

I do love flying my iFly747 or PMDG777 into St Louis (Taxi2Gate) and there, as I slow down for the approach to around 170, the aircraft seems to be just hovering as I turn into the final approach.  Absolutely stunning stuff!  It doesn't look all that good near the final landing phase looking out the side windows as the scenery seems to be trying to catch up (not blurry) but in the final phase no pilot should be looking at the eye-candy out the side windows.

Finally, did I mention no tweaks in the FSX.cfg?  I know I did but no tweaks.  Your system is about 5 times more powerful than when FSX was first released if you have a Sandy Bridge or higher CPU.  The latest video cards are absolutely more powerful too.  We don't need those tweaks that were needed prior to Sandy Bridge.  Try even lower settings than what is in the AVSIM FSX Config guide, especially mesh and texture resolutions.  You will not see much difference in quality by bring them down a little more and always running FSX with two fsx mods.  Change the LOD_Radius to 6.5 and the Texture_Max_Load to 2048 (HD) or 4096 (also HD).  Keep all other settings at the default.  For instance, a lot of so-called "experts" say to raise the Texture_Bandwidth_Multi to 120 or higher (default is 40).  It should never go higher than 60.  Never.  The default is fine and it will let your sim breath a little more.  The LOD_Radius and Texture_Max_Load settings are the magic tweaks if you are going to use any tweaks.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim,

I used the Basic FSX Conf. guide as a baseline and found setting the LOD RADIUS to 6.5 and adjusting the Scenery Complexity to Very Dense and the Autogen Complexity to Normal/Dense has corrected my issue with the loading.

Further investigation leads me to believe as stated in the guide and elsewhere, that with all of my ORBX add-ons installed (Global, Vector, OpenLC....) I see no need in running the Autogen density very high, in fact Normal appears to suffice.  I also adjust the Water effects to Low 2x.  I have always kept the setting Texture_Max_Load to 2048.  I am running the DX10 Fixer but no other tweaks to my cfg file.  As for the Texture_Bandwidth_Multi, I don't believe that is set to 120, however I will have to go back and double check.  After a couple short test I am happy with the results, just need to make a couple of long flights to ensure stability, however my FPS is 40+ and holding. 

Thanks again Jim for the insight.

Cheers,

LW