Sign in to follow this  
xv232

Cable for new computer and monitor - Help please!

Purchased a new computer with a Gigabyte GTX750ti 2048mb graphics card, and I have an old Dell E196WFPv monitor.

The monitor has a VGA 15-pin socket, and a 24-pin DVI output, with a horizontal slit to the side of the holes on the DVI socket.

The PC has a 15-pin VGA  socket. When the VGA cable is used the monitor receives no input and goes into 'Power Save' mode.

There is a new DVI socket with 24 pins physically attached to the new GTX750 unit. However rather than having a flat pin alongside the 24 holes, it has a crosshair ( horizontal and vertical slots) arrangement and 4 pins around the slots. (all beside the 24 holes)

So, my question is - what cable do I need? The VGA cable seems a dead end, and after shelling out an awful lot of money I do not want to have to return it!

I do hope this isn't too confusing to understand. IT seems the VGA socket on the tower would not work because the GTX750 bypasses this socket, but that's from a 'layman's' perspective and I would not know.

George

Check your Gigabyte box/carton to see if they included a DVI adaptor. You can then fit this to teh VGA end of your cable and thus connect that cable to that DVI port. If not included----which would be most unusual----you can always pick them up, fairly cheaply at a reputable computer hardware store.

Thanks vc10man, I did pick up a DVI-I to VGA adaptor, plugged into the system and now the monitor works perfectly. Thanks ;)

Thanks vc10man, I did pick up a DVI-I to VGA adaptor, plugged into the system and now the monitor works perfectly. Thanks ;)

Good to hear of a result.

I don't' want to dampen your spirits, but I have a Gigabyte GPU, the Nvidia GTX560 Ti------am waiting for the New Year Sales to get a GTX970-----and it was bought in Las Vegas, and despite sending it back in its original packaging to them to Ca. for repair/replacement under warranty, and them sending it back in a plain vanilla box, it is still problematical. I will never ever buy any of their branded products again!