Sign in to follow this  
airlinejets

124th ATC v2

I do notice that some AI float above the ground when using the plug-in though.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I do notice that some AI float above the ground when using the plug-in though.

I only noticed the floating AI when I had the "AI traffic controlled by 124thATC" checked (which the author states is still in "early development"). Have you noticed this without having the AI control option enabled? 

I've been using this plugin for a while, and I've been impressed with the improvements . . . even though it is still in Alpha.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I only noticed the floating AI when I had the "AI traffic controlled by 124thATC" checked (which the author states is still in "early development"). Have you noticed this without having the AI control option enabled? 

I've been using this plugin for a while, and I've been impressed with the improvements . . . even though it is still in Alpha.

That was indeed the problem - thanks!

Rick Abshier

Good points and I agree.

What would speed up immensely the offer of integrated AI/ATC add-ons (with global worldwide AI traffic) would be two changes from Laminar part, i.e. opening to 3rd parties the high level control of AI and ATC.

As it is now, you can see (opening the dev console) how X-Plane manages AI and ATC: it spawns AI traffic at a given position/altitude/speed and following a given random flight plan, and then the traffic is directed by ATC with high level commands.

If these control methods would be open to 3rd parties via the SDK (with commands like "spawn aircraft x at position y with flight plan z" and similar high level commands for ATC) we would see an integrated, worldwide coverage AI/ATC addon much faster.

As it is now, all these kind of addons have to control themselves both AI and ATC at a low level, moving the aircrafts at every frame (taxing, taking off, etc.) and making everything a lot more complex.

Not sure that could help. The best solution would be an independent plugin to create and manage its own traffic and manage ATC, both user and AI, like X-Life does but with the huge limitation of no vocal messages/commands.

I don't have X-Life to see FPS hit, but FPS in WT even with hundreds of flights is pretty the same as without and aircrafts do follow sid stars and plausible approaches. Also with good ground traffics you can have realistic movements with correct liveries at correct gates. But WT ATC is simply basic and bugged and of course without vocal chatting.

I spoke with the dev of 124th ATC but he told me it's not easy to integrate his code with another already developed plugin that manages AI planes since both are trying to do the same although both actually do well just one thing.

Only a single company can deal with a full package expecting some return on investment. Both WT and 124th work on a semi voluntary basis, coding on spare time and that it's not enough if you target a complex and complete ATC AI package.

Jar doesn't look different, he started well but failed to add new featuresand X-Life seems a bit dead now. Furthermore no vocal chatting means always an incomplete ATC program.

For the first time since I bought XP10 when it was released, there is a vague amount of hope on my part that the AI/ATC bits of XP will be significantly improved. 124thATC in final form and World Traffic 3 may be that milestone.

The default ATC in XP is like your crazy uncle at the family Christmas gathering. He can be mild mildly entertaining until he breaks down and does something embarrassing.

For the first time since I bought XP10 when it was released, there is a vague amount of hope on my part that the AI/ATC bits of XP will be significantly improved. 124thATC in final form and World Traffic 3 may be that milestone.

The default ATC in XP is like your crazy uncle at the family Christmas gathering. He can be mild mildly entertaining until he breaks down and does something embarrassing.

Agreed - just completing first flight from KMSN to KMDW using 124thATC and it's working quite well.

Rick Abshier

My biggest problem with it is that its dialog box is pretty hard to read on a 4K monitor. XP11 has an option  to increase the UI size from 100 to 150%, but doing that and also running XP11 with "Disable display scaling on high dpi settings" doesn't make any of the dialog boxes larger.

I gave it a quick try and for an alpha version it works quite good. Told me what freq I needed to tune to , knew when I was at the holding point and told me I was clear for take off etc. After take off asked me to tune to delivery ... I think this could become quite good.

X-Plane 11 already does all of that.

The "2.0-a52" version of this plug in was released last night (1/8): http://124thatc.matacchieri.eu/

Thanks for letting us know about the update!  Much appreciated.

Here's the change log for the update from the site:

124thATC - Change Log

124thATC - 2.0-a52 (Released 2017-01-08) View Issues ]

========================================

- 0000250: [Landing] Right/Left heading instruction random errors (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000249: [General] Runway ILS parser doesn't work in XP11 due the new earth_nav.dat format (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000248: [General] In some cases after runway change, SID and STAR are not re-calculated (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000247: [Departure] A bug prevent engine startup request dialog opening when already on holding point (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000246: [Landing] Improved emergency landing phase (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000242: [interface] Improved copy/paste stability for flight plan dialog on XP11 (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000243: [interface] "Flightplan" field now accepts and automatically drops SID and STAR words and aiports ICAO, instead of opening a warning dialog (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000245: [interface] Fixed a crash that occurs when a very long flight plan is filed (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000244: [General] Experimental X-Plane 11 CIFP navdata support for SID and STAR search (ntnll) - resolved.

- 0000241: [interface] Frequencies selector, dialogs and readback save their geometry positions in settings.txt for next sessions - resolved.

- 0000240: [General] Incorrect distance to holding point in flight informations (ntnll) - resolved.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Does 124th ATC actually call out airliners by company names or, does it use tail numbers like the XP11 default ATC?

If you set the proper flight number with the airline three digit they will call by using the name