Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Vickers or Abex type

They're electric hydraulic pump manufacturers. Operationally, they both supply the required volume at the required pressure to pressurize a hydraulic system; I have no idea how you'd simulate one or the other. Vernon, what are you trying to do?

Andrew Crowley

I'm studying the Hydraulic system and failures. With the Abex type - If an overheat is detected in either system, the related OVERHEAT light illuminates.

Vickers - If an overheat is detected in either system, the related OVERHEAT light illuminates, power is removed from the pump and the LOW PRESSURE light illuminates.

Vernon Howells

Well... in the case of an overheat (can you simulate that?) does the low pressure light illuminate? That would indicate pump power was removed.

In reality, if you had a fleet with split pump types, the QRH would direct you on what to do. I don't think my fleet has split pump types because I don't remember this QRH forking, but I'd have to look, I'm not home with access to my EFB. It's nothing you'd ever need to know in airline ops though; if the determination needed to be made, the QRH would tell you how, by identifying a placard etc.

Andrew Crowley

Well i've checked my fleet QRH that i follow and nothing about split pumps! It does mention it in the 737 MRG that i have on my ipad.

Vernon Howells

Wouldn't help if you knew if the power from the pump is removed?

Doesn't matter what brand of pump is installed.  Just run the QRH procedure for whatever light is illuminated.  Mechanics need to know this stuff, the pilots don't.

Yeah I'll bet it's an option in general on the 73, but the company you're following probably has all one type.

Cool though, I had to Google this and learned more than I ever knew about electric hydraulic pumps ;-). Honestly I've learned several things about this plane from these discussions; when you're operating a single company's fleet you only learn their way.

Andrew Crowley

I'm not a real pilot, but I would guess that in both case, whether the power is removed automatically, the QRH would indicate to set the switch to off for safety reason in case of overheat.

So I'm not even sure that the QRH and pilots' actions would be different for either type of pump.

The overheat of hydraulic pumps is indeed simulated on the NGX, and I experienced it once on the way to Dubai from Doha in FSX:

mini_686422201572817471216.jpg

The QRH provided with the NGX not surprisingly just says to switch the pump off.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Hi romain thats cool :) like many have said you switch off the pumps regardless if they are Vickers or Abex pumps.

Guys what is the modified rudder installed/ not installed ?

Vernon Howells

Guys what is the modified rudder installed/ not installed ?

Do you mean what or why?