Sign in to follow this  
ark

FaceTrackNoIR v1.7 ShortKey Focus Problem

I've been experimenting with FaceTrackNoIR v1.7.2 with Point Tracker v1.1 on a Win8.1 system. After setting up shortkeys (Home, End, etc) I find they work "in-game" as long as FaceTrackNoIR is also on the screen, but the shortkeys do not work once FaceTrackNoIR is minimized to the Taskbar. So it seems FaceTrackNoIR is losing focus when minimized as far as the shortkeys are concerned. Is this a FaceTrackNoIR problem, a Win8.1 problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Thx,

Al 

Are you sure that it's v1.7.2? The official website shows the latest version as V1.7.0, which is what I'm using. I can't vouch for Win 8.1 but I use it with Win 7 64bit and it works fine with FSX full screen (but I leave the program open in the background rather than minimising it to the task bar). Make sure that you don't have the FaceTrackNoIR hotkeys assigned to something else in FSX - I did initially!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks for the response.

Yes, it is version 1.7.2, at least that is what is says across the top of the FaceTrackNoIR window. There is a hotfix for version 1.7.0 that I ran, perhaps that is the difference.

Nothing I do seems to prevent FaceTrackNoIR from losing focus wrt the shortkeys.  I normally run FSX in the window mode, but also tried full screen without any success.

Al

Does FaceTrackNoIR tracking work in FSX (ignoring the hotkeys)? Do the hotkeys work when FaceTrackNoIR is running on the desktop behind FSX and not minimized?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Yes, I find the FaceTrackNoIR point tracking itself works very well with FSX-SE and a 3 LED hat clip I made.

Thanks to your second question, I've discovered FaceTrackNoIR is not minimizing as I thought, but is behind the FSX window as you suggested. When I reduce the size of the FSX window, the FaceTrackNoIR window is there but the hotkeys do not work unless I click on the FaceTrackNoIR window and bring it to the front. As an experiment I ran some other programs "in front" of FaceTrackNoIR and found that in some cases the FaceTrackNoIR hot keys continued to work, and in some cases they did not. So apparently some programs, including FSX, are trapping keys and preventing FaceTrackNoIR from seeing them. I could not find any use of the Home key in FSX (I use the Home key for FaceTrackNoIR centering), and even when I tried an extreme key combo for the centering hot key, like SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+Home, I still had the same problem.

Thx for your continued help,

Al

Just confirm that you're using the SimConnect game protocol in FaceTrackNoIR? Although I can't see why it should make a difference, are you running FaceTrackNoIR "as Administrator"? If not, try that. I don't think that the problem is with FSX as many people, myself included, use it successfully. As a last resort I would uninstall FaceTrackNoIR, download v1.7.0 from the web site and try installing it without the hotfix. I use it with PointTracker and, for me at least, it doesn't seem to need the hotfix.

The solution to the problem was to run FaceTrackNoIR  as Administrator.

It may be that either both programs have to be run as Administrator or neither program as Administrator, but FSX-SE apparently installs in the Administrator mode.

Thanks very much for your help.

Al

Glad you've got it sorted. Once set up properly, I find that running FaceTrackNoIR with PointTracker and an LED source is just as good as TrackIR. For an easy way to run everything as administrator, I start FSX with a batch file which also starts FaceTrackNoIR and ASN. The first line in the batch file starts it as Administrator which then runs each subsequent program as Administrator automatically. A batch file is also an easy way to close unnecessary programs before starting FSX and then restart them when you close FSX.