Sign in to follow this  
Noah101

980 TI Anti Aliasing

So I recently got a 980 TI and I am in need some awesome Nvidia inspector settings since I have the GPU capable of it. I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could send over an Nvidia inspector profile or just give me some settings. I am also not opposed to using DSR but I am having some trouble finding a good setting for it. Thanks in advance!

There's really not much to do, although surely others will disagree. The only thing I suggest is some SGSS. I currently have 2 780 TIs that have been overclocked and I can get away with 4x. While that generally leaves me with a lot of headroom, I like to have it in case I encounter a bunch of ASN cloud layers (I use enhanced overcast and detailed thunderstorms) since it can amount to a lot of particulate...

I think it is important to consider monitor resolution at this point, as a higher pixel count will alleviate the need for high level AA and DSR. A GTX980Ti will handle a 2560 x 1440 monitor with ease, and even up to 4K. Case in point: I recently upgraded from a 1980 x 1080 device to a 2560 x 1440 and discovered that 4 x MSAA is more than sufficient to show a very clean jaggy-free P3D. The advantage of real pixels over DSR is enormous, a lower resolution will exhibit an inherent graininess you will never eliminate without adding more pixels.

Yup couldn't agree more Dave - I'm still running a HD monitor with DSR, and there was a noticeable bump in AA "niceness" on my brother-law's 4K machine.

I've also got the 980 Ti and some bad AA with PMDG aircraft, I've tried to get DSR to work but somehow it never scales P3D down. Do I need to run P3D in full screen?

I think it is important to consider monitor resolution at this point, as a higher pixel count will alleviate the need for high level AA and DSR. A GTX980Ti will handle a 2560 x 1440 monitor with ease, and even up to 4K. Case in point: I recently upgraded from a 1980 x 1080 device to a 2560 x 1440 and discovered that 4 x MSAA is more than sufficient to show a very clean jaggy-free P3D. The advantage of real pixels over DSR is enormous, a lower resolution will exhibit an inherent graininess you will never eliminate without adding more pixels.

So you're saying with a 2K Monitor and a GTX 980ti you can P3D with zero shimmering by only using 4XMSAA in P3D and no SGSS?

I ask because I just purchased a new build and I wanna go either 4 or 2K just to get rid of shimmer because I cannot stand it and SGSS is too hard on my GPU and the sim looks blurry with SGSS. 

• Upvote 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I've also got the 980 Ti and some bad AA with PMDG aircraft, I've tried to get DSR to work but somehow it never scales P3D down. Do I need to run P3D in full screen?

Hi Henry, after you select the new resolution in the P3D options, you need to alt-enter twice to get P3D into full screen.

So you're saying with a 2K Monitor and a GTX 980ti you can P3D with zero shimmering by only using 4XMSAA in P3D and no SGSS?

I ask because I just purchased a new build and I wanna go either 4 or 2K just to get rid of shimmer because I cannot stand it and SGSS is too hard on my GPU and the sim looks blurry with SGSS.

Never really noticed shimmering to be honest, I was just referring to jaggies and overall image quality. You could harness DSR on your new build to fake a higher resolution to see if your shimmering diminishes, that might help you ascertain the need for more pixels before laying out any cash on a new monitor.

I'm going to second this.  With my 980Ti, I've also been flying at 2560 x 1440, and have really not felt the need to do anything beyond 4 x MSAA.  If you really strain, there's a tiny, tiny bit of stairstepping on diagonals, and a very small amount of shimmer, but nothing objectionable at all - to me at least.  Certainly nothing so objectionable that I feel like taking the performance hit of SGSS.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm going to second this.  With my 980Ti, I've also been flying at 2560 x 1440, and have really not felt the need to do anything beyond 4 x MSAA.  If you really strain, there's a tiny, tiny bit of stairstepping on diagonals, and a very small amount of shimmer, but nothing objectionable at all - to me at least.  Certainly nothing so objectionable that I feel like taking the performance hit of SGSS.

Great! I'm now off to find a 1440p 144hz 1ms 27" Monitor.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Great! I'm now off to find a 1440p 144hz 1ms 27" Monitor.

Good luck  :smile:

http://imgur.com/a/6KoSK -> 4k, no MSAA at all. So i can back up the posts above.

Currently I am running MSAA 2x and Anisotropic Filtering 4x. With smooth frame rates on a single GTX 970.

Hi Henry, after you select the new resolution in the P3D options, you need to alt-enter twice to get P3D into full screen.

I don't know if Im just too stupid to make DSR work, but I've switched it on, set the right resolution in P3D, alt-entered twice but it still hasnt change a single thing. Guess I have to stick to SSGS

I'm getting my 980 delivered any day now.  It will replace a 5-yr old 580.  I'm running P3Dv3.1 with a relatively smooth FPS in the low 20s from the PMDG virtual cockpit in default areas and high teens in the more detailed areas or add-ons.  I expect a boost with my 980.  

Does P3D automatically detect the 980 after I  install the card and update drivers from Windows?  Or should I manually replace the 580 and enter the 980 in the DISPLAY line of P3D.cfg file before running P3D again?

I can't wait to see the difference!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

it should detect automatically. All I'd do is delete your shaders folder in user/Appdata/local/Lockheed martin/prepar3d v3 folder.