Sign in to follow this  
Noah101

980 TI Anti Aliasing

Great! I'm now off to find a 1440p 144hz 1ms 27" Monitor.

If your priority is flight simming I wouldn't recommend 1440p or g-sync.

I would suggest 4k.

I have both a 28 " 4k, 1ms monitor and a large Samsung curved 4k tv and the tv is a ridiculously better experience.

There is no comparison. Contrast, sharpness and color are extraordinary.

Cheers

If your priority is flight simming I wouldn't recommend 1440p or g-sync.

I would suggest 4k.

I have both a 28 " 4k, 1ms monitor and a large Samsung curved 4k tv and the tv is a ridiculously better experience.

There is no comparison. Contrast, sharpness and color are extraordinary.

Cheers

I know what youre saying but I cannot stand 60hz, I've been using 144hz for 2 years now and when I drop it back to 60 its drives me nuts. I play a few FPS and its pretty much standard to have at least 120hz. I think using 1440p over 1080p should be a lot nicer right? I appreciate your comment.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

What I can recommend is an IPS 4k panel.

Best experience I ever had regarding the quality of the image. Well, it is 60 Hz, so nothing for the 144Hz-Hardcore-fans  :smile: And pretty expensive still....

But if you are looking for the best colors there is no alternative to an IPS panel.

I am using this at the moment and could not be more satisfied:

https://www.asus.com/en/Monitors/PA328Q/

it should detect automatically. All I'd do is delete your shaders folder in user/Appdata/local/Lockheed martin/prepar3d v3 folder.

Thanks

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

If you go to 1440p make sure to get an IPS panel - a super fast response time should not be determinative in a flight sim, only really a FPS. I have a Dell IPS panel with an 8ms response time and it's perfect for P3D - and although the refresh rate is only 60 Hz, it's still fine for most things. Mind you I don't play any FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. 

I see the ACER Predator is IPS, 1440p G-Sync and 144 Hz. If someone has that, please let us know what it's like. 

With a i74970K and an overclocked EVGA GTX 980 ti I often get > 80fps in countryside GA flying. I wonder whether having a faster monitor would make things look even better.

Are there any caveats to going the 4khdtv route as opposed to a monitor? I've been browsing various vendors and they still provide less than useful information as it relates to running as a computer display.

It also appears that the TV's give you more bang for the buck. You get a larger display for less $$$ as opposed to a pure monitor.

Has anyone run into difficulty sending the output to the TV?

Any recommendations for something in the 32 - 40" range(4KTV)?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Folks,

Please confirm that 2k monitor will eliminate any need to use 4xSGSAA in P3D with 2040 in-game resolution with only MSAA applied. I have 980Ti with 6GB and i7-2700k

Is 1ms response time necessary? How about 3-4ms?

I keep wondering if 4K monitor is a must. Is P3D or FSX native graphics made at that high of resolution?

I see the ACER Predator is IPS, 1440p G-Sync and 144 Hz. If someone has that, please let us know what it's like. 

I have an X34, and I'd strongly suggest holding off on them for now.  There's a lot of reports of issues - mine suffers some of these, but not all:

1)  Only half the backlight switches on when you turn the monitor on.  I get this but it always comes on pretty quickly.  Some users report that they have to switch it off and back on again.

2)  The backlight bleed is pretty awful.  I fly at night a lot, and the left hand corners(particularly the bottom) look like the sun is coming up - there's a distinct orange glow.

3)  Other's have reported significant banding, particularly in blue colours I believe.  I don't have this problem.

I've had the monitor for about 6 weeks and will likely be speaking to Acer after New Year about an RMA for problem 1.  They're supposed to be able to fix that but it's a hardware repair so needs to go back to them.  Depending on whether that gets fixed - and if they fix my monitor and send it back to me rather than replacing it - so I still have problem 2, I'll consider whether I try for a full refund.

144hz?  1ms?  I'm guessing you have other (gaming) requirements for your monitor!

A thought - I think we're really approaching an era where there isn't a 'best' any longer.  It's now pretty much down to personal preferences and budget.  Can you imagine a few years ago, casually debating 2K vs. 4K, or 42" plus curved widescreens?  We really have it pretty good!

Each of us are really only repeating our personal preferences here - and each solution is likely as good as another.  So many different choices, and you really can't go far wrong with any of them.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I believe I've heard from other simmers here that anything above 60hz in P3D and FSX will only increase stutters and possible tearing due to their below 60 fps performance. Other games might be a completely different story.

IPS is definitely much better color. However I couldn't justify the cost when really I think the secret to immersive flight simming is 4k big screens up close.   :smile:

I believe I've heard from other simmers here that anything above 60hz in P3D and FSX will only increase stutters and possible tearing due to their below 60 fps performance. Other games might be a completely different story.

IPS is definitely much better color. However I couldn't justify the cost when really I think the secret to immersive flight simming is 4k big screens up close.   :smile:

I sim at about 30-40 FPS on a 144hz monitor and it's smoother for me at 144 then when I set it too 60/85 or 120.

144hz?  1ms?  I'm guessing you have other (gaming) requirements for your monitor!

A thought - I think we're really approaching an era where there isn't a 'best' any longer.  It's now pretty much down to personal preferences and budget.  Can you imagine a few years ago, casually debating 2K vs. 4K, or 42" plus curved widescreens?  We really have it pretty good!

Each of us are really only repeating our personal preferences here - and each solution is likely as good as another.  So many different choices, and you really can't go far wrong with any of them.

Ya, I'm into fast FPS games (BF, Squad, Insurgency, GTA).

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I unpacked and installed my new 980 Ti (6GB) yesterday.  I have a 5-yr old system (i2700 3.5GHz 16GB). My P3D FPS went up by about 5-7 FPS (curently FPS set to unlimited and no V-Sync, and all other settings med-to hi). One massive change I did notice was on X-Plane 10.  I cant tell the exact FPS increase since there in no counter, but I used DD Design NYC scenery as the sample area.  

I'm rally going to enjoy it!  I just need to get more familiar with the setting discussed in this forum.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have an X34, and I'd strongly suggest holding off on them for now.  There's a lot of reports of issues - mine suffers some of these, but not all:

1)  Only half the backlight switches on when you turn the monitor on.  I get this but it always comes on pretty quickly.  Some users report that they have to switch it off and back on again.

2)  The backlight bleed is pretty awful.  I fly at night a lot, and the left hand corners(particularly the bottom) look like the sun is coming up - there's a distinct orange glow.

3)  Other's have reported significant banding, particularly in blue colours I believe.  I don't have this problem.

I've had the monitor for about 6 weeks and will likely be speaking to Acer after New Year about an RMA for problem 1.  They're supposed to be able to fix that but it's a hardware repair so needs to go back to them.  Depending on whether that gets fixed - and if they fix my monitor and send it back to me rather than replacing it - so I still have problem 2, I'll consider whether I try for a full refund.

Thanks - that's really good to know. Much appreciated

Please confirm that 2k monitor will eliminate any need to use 4xSGSAA in P3D with 2040 in-game resolution with only MSAA applied. I have 980Ti with 6GB and i7-2700k

I would say that is guaranteed with a 4K screen but with a 2K it is still problematical.

(Why would you set a 2040 in game resolution?)

gb?

I keep wondering if 4K monitor is a must. Is P3D or FSX native graphics made at that high of resolution?

No, FSX/P3D will just output whatever the graphics card can handle.

There is no FSX/P3D "native resolution".

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.