Sign in to follow this  
Laxclipper

FTX Global or GEX P3D?

Hi,

I am contemplating the purchase of FTX global vs GEX P3D.

For FSX I own all the GEX regions as well as some of the UTX versions. I was very happy with them. But since saying bye bye to FSX, I am now a bit concerned about FTX Global giving me poor performance on my payware airport ad-dons.

FTX is on Sale right now! and GEX is basically 130 bucks. Which is a greater expense but if it is worth it. Oh well.

I own all the FSDT, Flytampa and Flightbeam airports. Any one here have them along with FTX?

I have seen some videos about FTX global and I must say, I am very tempted to buy.

My P3D v3.1 is running perfectly.

Thank you all in advance.

Sincerely,

Edgar Corripio.

I'm running FTX Global, which is on sale and it looks great. I think GEP3D looks a bit better for USA flying but I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. Just my opinion.

global works fine with those add on sceneries you mentioned. The orbx guys even post updated files to blend some of those sceneries. With SCA region they even fixed the plateau at Las Vegas while using FSDT KLAS.

I like FTX a lot more then GEX but that's a very personal opinion. But what I wanted to say is that FTX Global won't make any difference in performance compared to default. The textures replace the default ones and simply look (a LOT) better: they aren't heavier on the system or anything like that.

Thank you all for the prompt replies.

Scott, that is a great comparison set of pics. 

I must say, it looks like a 50/50. Some textures look better on GEX and some look better on FTX...

Then of curse the price difference. 65(Sale) bucks vs 130... 

:Thinking:

Hi - yep - concur with all you've said - made the same choice a couple weeks ago - went with GTX...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

went with GTX...

Since the F is closer to the G on a regular keyboard than the T is to the E is think you made a typo and meant FTX...? Not sure though... Maybe you changed the topic to GPU's... Or you bought both! ;)

Those comparisons shots are really good.  If I had to choose based on those I would choose GEX.  FTX looks too repetitive while GEX appears to a have a bit more variety, however FTX appears to have better looking night lighting (or maybe just more of it).  Both look good but I'll stick with photoreal.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

This is indeed a very personal thing and I think competition is a good thing for all simmers.  As a longtime GEX/UTX user in FSX,  I was really disappointed with Flight1's initial attitude toward P3D when a few years back I made the switch from FSX to P3D. This virtually forced me to buy into the Orbx Global concept due to Flight 1's obstinance.

Now that GEP3D World and UTP3D 2 have been released, I decided to give them a retry and went that way with a fresh complete install of P3Dv3.1

Despite the cost, suffice it to say, I will not be going back to Orbx Global stuff unless at least they make it less exclusionary. To my eye and my system, I prefer GEP3D World and UTP3D 2. And the FTX regions still work fine with GEP3D World and UTP3D 2.

Happy New Year,

Clayton

Excellent points!

I used to use nothing but photo scenery. I have about 300 gigs of it. When I switched to P3D, I just decided to do with out it. Except for the Hawaiian islands. Photo real makes the experience so much more realistic as jetliner pilot. However as you get close to the ground specially on flat areas, it really sucks.

I guess, I will save up and buy the GEX P3D. I do like the their textures a bit more. It's expensive and I wish they offered some coupon or small discount for current customers.

I just completed a flight from KLAX-KDEN. Wow FSX never came close to being as smooth as P3D. (I have 3.1) I am so happy, I P3D.

Thank you all.

Sincerely,

Edgar Corripio

I own both.  I bought GEP3D first, but was somewhat disappointed in the yellowish colors.  I then bought FTX; and am happier with the colors.

The next battle was what landclass to use.  I use UTX2, so that comes with it's own internal LC.  But when comparing P3D with areas I was familiar with, I found it lacking in realism.  I next tried Scenery Tech.  Different and better, but not quite there for the northeast US.  Next up was the old FS Genesis US Landclass.  Sandwiched with UTX2, each of them added to the experience.

Until something better comes along, FTX / FSGLC / UTX2 wins for me.

It is indeed a matter of taste; and where one likes to fly.  I compared other areas, and found less difference - so your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Ron

I have both and uninstalled Global in favor of GEXP3D and UTX. To my eye they look better. I've had fewer performance issues than when FTX Global & Vector were installed. Personally I find the Orbx colors too dark and too colorful. Meaning some of the green areas are way too green, etc.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors