Sign in to follow this  
Laxclipper

FTX Global or GEX P3D?

I own both.  I bought GEP3D first, but was somewhat disappointed in the yellowish colors.  I then bought FTX; and am happier with the colors.

The next battle was what landclass to use.  I use UTX2, so that comes with it's own internal LC.  But when comparing P3D with areas I was familiar with, I found it lacking in realism.  I next tried Scenery Tech.  Different and better, but not quite there for the northeast US.  Next up was the old FS Genesis US Landclass.  Sandwiched with UTX2, each of them added to the experience.

Until something better comes along, FTX / FSGLC / UTX2 wins for me.

It is indeed a matter of taste; and where one likes to fly.  I compared other areas, and found less difference - so your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Ron

Explain your sandwich process please, I have both LCs as well and I'm always torn between which I like better. Where do you put the FSG LC in relation to the three UTX LC areas? Thanks. :smile:

Explain your sandwich process please, I have both LCs as well and I'm always torn between which I like better. Where do you put the FSG LC in relation to the three UTX LC areas? Thanks. :smile:

In general the layering should look something like this when viewed in your sim Scenery Library.

* UT Landclass � Custom (Europe)    

* UT Landclass � Custom 

* UT Landclass � Urban 

* 3rd-party Landclass entries - FSgenesis - etc.

* UT Landclass � Vegetation

Rich Sennett

Do the FSX FSgenesis regions work in P3D?

Edgar Corripio

Yes no problem have at it

Rich Sennett

I must use the migration tool right?

Good question - yes or the installer wont launch - when it does launch you can create a folder somewhere either way tell P3D scenery library where it is and active it

Rich Sennett

In other words. Once installed add it using the scenery manager within P3D right?

LOL this hobby is 3 hours flying, 5 hours messing around with add-ons.

Edgar

• Upvote 1

LOL this hobby is 3 hours flying, 5 hours messing around with add-ons.

Edgar

You got that right brother!

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

I like FTX a lot more then GEX but that's a very personal opinion. But what I wanted to say is that FTX Global won't make any difference in performance compared to default. The textures replace the default ones and simply look (a LOT) better: they aren't heavier on the system or anything like that.

I have to say this:

With FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC I get instant OOMs everytime I takeoff with V3.1 in EGLL (using Aerosoft Heathrow / PMDG 777).

Without FTX stuff I did not experience this.

But in terms of FPS I did not notice any dowgrades after installing all of the FTX stuff.

BTW: Some of my pictures with FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC.

May not be the best but gives an idea how it looks on my machine. I really like it.

http://imgur.com/a/6KoSK

I have to say this:

With FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC I get instant OOMs everytime I takeoff with V3.1 in EGLL (using Aerosoft Heathrow / PMDG 777).

Without FTX stuff I did not experience this.

But in terms of FPS I did not notice any dowgrades after installing all of the FTX stuff.

I'd like to add that I said FTX Global had no effect on performance: adding Vector to it all is a different story. Vector can kill performance. IMHO Vector is one of the worst Orbx products ever, unless you for instance turn off all detailed stuff and only use the water data. But it also introduces elevation problems. I own it but deleted it. OpenLC is more useful. I only fly in FTX regions though and only have Global installed, just for whenever I am flying close to the regions border in which case I don't want to see the ugly default textures.

"LOL this hobby is 3 hours flying, 5 hours messing around with add-ons." 

and 7 hours yacking about them on the forums! :smile:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

"LOL this hobby is 3 hours flying, 5 hours messing around with add-ons." 

and 7 hours yacking about them on the forums! :smile:

Or googling what the freakin' system event means after a CTD  :nea:

I'd like to add that I said FTX Global had no effect on performance: adding Vector to it all is a different story. Vector can kill performance. IMHO Vector is one of the worst Orbx products ever, unless you for instance turn off all detailed stuff and only use the water data. But it also introduces elevation problems. I own it but deleted it. OpenLC is more useful. I only fly in FTX regions though and only have Global installed, just for whenever I am flying close to the regions border in which case I don't want to see the ugly default textures.

It is interesting as, for me, Vector is one of the most useful of the lot.   I love my geography straight and it is the only program on the market to give, outside of the US, exact coastlines, rivers, roads, water bodies drawing. Most of the times at least. And I never saw a discernible impact on the framerate where I fly outside of the fat regions (SE Asia, Japan, "Canaska" and Europe with their OpenLC) . I only deactivated tertiary roads. I am sure  that, when in conjunction with mega-hubs à la Aerosoft that I shy away from, you may have problems but is it Vector or these über-airports ?

On the issue of Global/GEP3D I went for Global, I find the GEP textures grainy on any screenshots I see and then anyway  you need Global for using the OpenLCs..

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Thank you all! Lots of great feedback.

I've made my decision. I am going for GEX/P3D. I almost pulled the trigger for FTX specially because of the great price they have right now. I just think their textures are like many have said too "Green".

Sincerely,

Edgar Corripio