Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

F1 GTN Gauges - 2D operation in VC ?

Hi Folks,

Question - I've read about vendors supporting the F1 GTN gauges in various aircraft - but - can I still plug the F1 GTN into any aircraft I want if there is a suitable spot and it will still function in the VC ??? I understand it won't have 3D nobs - just want to insure it still operates in 2D mode - - - how we used to do it with RXP... I thought I saw some posts where it mentioned it being dark in the VC and you had to launch the popup to operate it...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Howdy Scott, you'd have to have a clear gauge spot in the VC and usually they model the 3D knobs nowdays so you may be somewhat limited. Using the FSX grand caravan as an example the yellow areas would denote the available spots where you could put gauges, not much you could do here:

grand_caravan_gauge_areas.jpg

Here's another using the AFG King Air as an example which begs to be GTN'd in that spot where the FS9 GPS normally sits, FS9 model but a great airplane nonetheless:

afg_ka300_vcgauge_areas.jpg

...so in a nutshell it depends on the aircraft/VC in question. Any aircraft can use the GTN on a pop-up though and to be honest with the head latency I find I always use the 2D pop-up when I need to do anything on the GTN anyway. VC brightness can be adjusted with the F1 config tool BTW but the brightness always seems a little "out there" in most planes with P3D's HDR/Bloom going on.

For the 2D pop-up, the supplied F1 config utility will install it on any panel with about 3 clicks so no fussing around in the panel.cfg.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much - perfect - understand... The first plane I want it in is the DA Cheyenne X and fortunately they included a utility to blank out the knobs for RXP installs... I just want it active in the VC and to be able to click on it to launch a popup when needed...

I've been wanting a good King Air as the ultimate Beech - I used AFG models for years - in fact I think we spoke of panel mods we were both making many years ago... I think I'm going to wait on the one  from MilViz as I've never been a fan of the G1000 the F1 model uses...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7