Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Closing down V3.1, always results in "not responding".

Installed V 3.1 today and I have noticed that each time I close P3d, It says that it is not responding and it takes several attempts to close the program rather than just closing like v3.0 and 2.5 did. Anyone else see this?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Have you already tried to run prepar3D.exe with administrator rights?

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Have you already tried to run prepar3D.exe with administrator rights?

Always do. I just read a post on the P3D forum where someone else is having the exact same issue. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Looked into this some more today and found out this only happens with the PMDG 737 NGX, which didn't do this in V3. All other aircraft allow P3D to shut down normally.  All I changed in P3D was the client when moving to 3.1. 

Something in your EXE.XML is not unloading and hence is keeping P3D open even if it looks like it shutdown.  I had this issue when my internet connection went down and ASN was running.

DLL.XML entries shouldn't stop P3D from unloading ... but you can always disable them and test.

Cheers, Rob.

I actually had this same error today after flying the PMDG NGX with 3.1 and shutting down... oddly, I tried to repeat things and it shut down fine the next few times I tried while flying the NGX. Just a one off wierd thing, dunno.

Running great though, no complaints.  This is after a fresh install of 3.1 with only the NGX installed so far.

Something in your EXE.XML is not unloading and hence is keeping P3D open even if it looks like it shutdown.  I had this issue when my internet connection went down and ASN was running.

DLL.XML entries shouldn't stop P3D from unloading ... but you can always disable them and test.

Cheers, Rob.

That sounds a bit over my head to troubleshoot. What I just tried now, is when I get ready to shut P3D, I switch to another aircraft first, in this case the Airbus 320, and then after that aircraft loads up it shuts down normally. Just doesn't like shutting down with the 737 NGX. 

That sounds a bit over my head to troubleshoot.

DLL.XML and EXE.XML are key files if you use any add-ons at all, like PMDG, ASN, Orbx ... troubleshooting a problem should almost always start by disabling entries in these two files or simply rename the file if you don't want to get into editing.

As much as we'd all like to see users completely insulated from everything ... and the user can be insulated if they don't run any 3rd party products (but who does that?) ... then unfortunately will need to get familiar with some basic elements of their flight simulator ... trust me, it'll save you time surfing the web for answers to problems.

Of course the other option many like to take is to just blame LM and tell'em to fix it ... but that rarely solves problems and in most cases just ends in frustration.

The PMDG will have a couple of entries in the DLL.XML and ASN will have one also ... my hunch is ASN ... like I said earlier, if ASN was in the middle of downloading and I exit P3D while it is downloading, P3D will go away (back to desktop) but the Prepar3D.exe would stay running indefinitely.  Products most likely to keep P3D active (not responding after exit) are any products that "hack" the core P3D files (ASN, ObjectFlow, etc.).

I suspect your changing of aircraft was NOT related to the issue, it worked because ASN wasn't downloading at the time.  The inconsistency of it working then not working sometimes also leads me to believe it's ASN.  But to be fair to ASN, their V3.1 build is a BETA build.

Cheers, Rob.

Out of curiosity, while in the middle of my P3Dv3.1 reinstall day (update worked fine, but every so often I like to start fresh and limit what I install) I tried the PMDG 777 as well, and it has the same closing P3D problem.

Fresh 3.1 install, then FSUIPC and sim connects, then first addon was NGX, had the close issue once.  Next installed PMDG 777 and sim has the same closing issue.  ASN is not installed yet.

Then installed the Iris Grob (fantastic plane, just buy it, LOVE IT!) and sim closes just fine.

Not a big deal that I can tell, but something with the PMDG P3D stuff is causing the closing issue with v3.1.  Otherwise, fly and perform as expected.  Sure won't keep me from flying them, but Bob is not alone in this one.

I unchecked the box in P3D General Settings that says "prompt on exit" .  It then shuts  down instantly. :smile:

• Upvote 1

If your only having the "not responding" on the NGX and you have FS2Crew for the 737 its probably the error I see about fs2crew gauge did not unload or something along those lines.  Get appcrashview and you can see the module causing the problem.  Mine happens to be that module.

Sean Green

I run ASN but not any PMDG stuff and I've had no real issues. I've noticed it takes a few seconds for P3D to unload from task manager ut I don't get any long term hangs.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

In similar instances, I open task manager first and take a look at the "processes."  Sometimes an addon program I thought was closed is still running and it hangs P3D when P3D tries to shut down. If you terminate the process, P3D will shut down.  You can then try and find out why the addon is not properly shutting down.  I think in layman's terms this is the EXE.XML business Rob mentioned, but I could be wrong.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I run ASN but not any PMDG stuff and I've had no real issues. I've noticed it takes a few seconds for P3D to unload from task manager ut I don't get any long term hangs.

Vic

Only happens with PMDG 737 in a couple of cases and PMDG 777 reported by two other people running P3d V 3.1

In similar instances, I open task manager first and take a look at the "processes."  Sometimes an addon program I thought was closed is still running and it hangs P3D when P3D tries to shut down. If you terminate the process, P3D will shut down.  You can then try and find out why the addon is not properly shutting down.  I think in layman's terms this is the EXE.XML business Rob mentioned, but I could be wrong.

Tried that. Nothing running except P3D v3.1  When I hit exit, within about 5 seconds task manager says P3D is " not responding".  About 25 seconds later the screen pops up that asks if I am sure I want to exit the program. When I click that, it shuts down instantly. This only happens with PMDG 737 NGX, not other aircraft, and this never happened with Version 3.0.