Sign in to follow this  
Dreamflight767

FMS ETOPS set-up

Hi:

There appears to be some nice ETOPS tutorials for the 777 FMS.  However, I have not been able to locate any for the 737.  Can anyone point me in the direction for such ETOPS tutorials for the 737 FMS? Specifically how and where to input Entry/Exit Points, the alternates, and CRP. 

Also, the 777 FMS lets you draw the ETOPS NM radius in the fix page. i.e. 1270NM around the fix.  The 737 appears to be limited to 500ish NM.

Any reason?

Thanks.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

I don't know of any, but I've used the 737 on numerous ETOPS trips to/from the Hawaiian Islands. You put the desired points on the FIXES pages but you are limited so you'll only put three or four and keep updating as the flight progresses. Correct on the nice radii, you have to check the distance to by looking at the FIXES page.

Dan Downs KCRP

My SOP is to put them on the NAV DATA page. EEP NXXxx.x and WXXXxx.x. We make sure they fall on the course.

Alternately, I think some companies leave hanging legs at the end of the LEGS page.

Matt Cee

I've never flown the 737 ETOPS so I've never tried that. Can we do this on NGX? When I fly NGX ETOPS I just use the fix page and set a distance.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Yeah, like Spin said, we create user waypoints on the Nav Data page. Problem is, that's buggy on the NGX; if I remember right, you can enter a custom name (like EEP) but the box never gives you the option to enter coordinates. So, seems like the Fix page is the best way.

Andrew Crowley

737 on numerous ETOPS trips to/from the Hawaiian Islands

Using FSDT KDFW and PHNL airports? <G>

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Using FSDT KDFW and PHNL airports? <G>

blaustern

Heavens, not from Dallas but there are plenty of actual 73X flights from West Coast from CYVR to KSAN.

Dan Downs KCRP

Also, the 777 FMS lets you draw the ETOPS NM radius in the fix page. i.e. 1270NM around the fix.  The 737 appears to be limited to 500ish NM.

Any reason?

The actual limit is 511NM, and it's because of an FMS processing power limitation (someone more technical than I would be able to explain properly, but essentially it's because 2-- 512 -- is a numeric processing limit of the CPU involved and 0-511 is 512). Some (but not all) newer FMCs (like in the 777) have slightly more powerful processors and permit larger range rings (and in the PMDG 747 the 511NM limit is not simulated).

I also seem to recall that a bearing line (drawn via the FIX page) has a limit of 699.9NM -- supposedly because this was considered to be the longest useful distance of a rhumb line (vs a Great Circle) from days of yore, but how true that is I don't know!

As mentioned above, place the ETP on the FIX page, on RTE2 or perhaps as a "floating" waypoint at the end of the active route after a discontinuity. However, what you should not do is place it in the active route as it will screw up your ADS position reporting and Kyle will get a load of paperwork  :wink:

Very useful info. guys.  Thanks much but some of these responses has lead to more questions.

My SOP is to put them on the NAV DATA page. EEP NXXxx.x and WXXXxx.x. We make sure they fall on the course.

Alternately, I think some companies leave hanging legs at the end of the LEGS page.

How do you do this?  When I attempt to enter LAT/LONG in the NAV DATA I get an "invalid" message.

As mentioned above, place the ETP on the FIX page, on RTE2 or perhaps as a "floating" waypoint at the end of the active route after a discontinuity.

Is there a way to add a discontinuity?

If not an "active" route, does RTE2 show on the NAV display?

---

I also came across this which is very helpful from another thread.

"It is possible to enter Lat/Lon as fix on LEGS page, and I provided references to help you (both a link and a page number).  However, in this case it is better to enter an along-route fix.  PFPX will provide a distance before fix at ETP, such as 53 nm before MARON.  Enter this fix by clicking on LSB next to MARON (for example) which puts MARON in the scratchpad area, then enter /-53 such the the scratchpad reads MARON/-53. Now move it from the scratchpad to your leg segments by clicking again on the MARON LSB.  This will create a custom waypoint 53 nm before MARON along the original route.

This is an example of the PBD custom waypoints described in the references I provided."

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

"Enter this fix by clicking on LSB next to MARON (for example) which puts MARON in the scratchpad area, then enter /-53 such the the scratchpad reads MARON/-53. Now move it from the scratchpad to your leg segments by clicking again on the MARON LSB.  This will create a custom waypoint 53 nm before MARON along the original route.

I should add, after I do the above step, I click on LSB next to the newly created fix (i.e. MAR01) to move it to the scratchpad then copy to the FIX page.  Then, I go back to the LEG page and delete the newly created fix (MAR01) from the LEG and fill the RTE DISC normally.  Thus, the MAR01 is not on the LEG page but is on the FIX page and displayed along the route.  And being MAR01 is in the FIX page, you can add a distance radius around it.

Aaron Ortega

Hey guys. I think there is some confusion on the ETOPs stuff. First, put the range rings based on the airport that your etops entry point and ETOPs exit point is based on. That is 394 nautical miles for a winglet aircraft and 388 for a non winglet aircraft. These distances are your single engine, cruise speed (TAS) in still wind conditions at 10,000 feet. When we do a CYVR-PHOG it most likely is 394 based on Portland and 394 from PHOG (remember you have to take in to account the weather forecast weather conditions for your ETOPs airports which are more restrictive that a regular alternate airport). As soon as you are outside these range rings you are in ETOPs airspace. Now you input the coordinates of your equal time point (ETP). On this leg there is only one ETP. Going over the Atlantic there may be a couple. So your ETP would be the equal time point from PHOG and Portland (KPDX) and being an equal time point, obviously this is based on wind conditions. That's just a quick idea of how to get started. Lots more to know for ETOPs flying but I gotta get to bed! Take care!

Jack Colwill

Hey guys. I think there is some confusion on the ETOPs stuff. First, put the range rings based on the airport that your etops entry point and ETOPs exit point is based on. That is 394 nautical miles for a winglet aircraft and 388 for a non winglet aircraft. These distances are your single engine, cruise speed (TAS) in still wind conditions at 10,000 feet. When we do a CYVR-PHOG it most likely is 394 based on Portland and 394 from PHOG (remember you have to take in to account the weather forecast weather conditions for your ETOPs airports which are more restrictive that a regular alternate airport). As soon as you are outside these range rings you are in ETOPs airspace. Now you input the coordinates of your equal time point (ETP). On this leg there is only one ETP. Going over the Atlantic there may be a couple. So your ETP would be the equal time point from PHOG and Portland (KPDX) and being an equal time point, obviously this is based on wind conditions. That's just a quick idea of how to get started. Lots more to know for ETOPs flying but I gotta get to bed! Take care!

Jack Colwill

394nm? Slowpokes. Are you LRC or "normal" cruise? We push it to 310kts.

Matt Cee

Thanks Jack for feedback.  I think that's the whole point of my original request - how/what and where (i.e. which page: FIX, LEG, ALT ARPT, etc.) to put ETOPS (ETPs, ENTRY/EXIT points, coordinates, CRP, CLASS II entry, etc.) data into the FMS.

Question, do most carriers input the "distance before" figures or the coordinates?  I.e. if ETOPS entry is 205 NM BEFORE GITLE, do they put GITLE/-205 or do they enter that locations coordinates N33 42.0 W129 12.1?  And again, where?  The LEGS or FIX page?

Aaron Ortega

Thanks Jack for feedback.  I think that's the whole point of my original request - how/what and where (i.e. which page: FIX, LEG, ALT ARPT, etc.) to put ETOPS (ETPs, ENTRY/EXIT points, coordinates, CRP, CLASS II entry, etc.) data into the FMS.

Question, do most carriers input the "distance before" figures or the coordinates?  I.e. if ETOPS entry is 205 NM BEFORE GITLE, do they put GITLE/-205 or do they enter that locations coordinates N33 42.0 W129 12.1?  And again, where?  The LEGS or FIX page?

My company avoids using fixes to define the EEP, EXP and CP. We plot them via coordinates and they should still fall on the route. If they don't, you screwed up somewhere.

Matt Cee