Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

VSYNC P3D V3

Can you expand on this Steve?  Sky problems?

Cheers, Rob.

With P3D 3.1 the sky/terrain interface staggers when panning at an fps below 25Hz, whereas with v2.5 20fps could run happily.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Rob the tv is 5 years old hadn't updated it at all lol

And for the most I manually update everything

I am with you Gerard fps unlimited vsync on at 30hz

So fluid

Apart from mouse a little slow moving, I wonder if ther is any way to speed it up??

I hope you can work it out Steve.

I'm running 25 fixed due to using a glider, unlimited setting is useless.

fps unlimited vsync on at 30hz

Goes back to what we've been saying all along; if you can run the refresh rate of the monitor, you're home and dry.

Can you expand on this Steve? Sky problems?

Cheers, Rob.

Getting back to that with a bit more info, and had a chance to do more testing and checking of settings. Appears to be with low cloud, or fogginess, the clouds and fog trail behind the terrain slightly. Best observed doing rolls, where the horizon and fog can be seen to interplay. Flying along and slow turns doesn't show it up. Above 25fps it's hard to spot.

Maybe its display based but I get no input lag on mouse or controls and I virtually always use Vsync on, Triple Buffing off and unlimited frames in P3D display setting while my display is set to 30hz in NCP. It is perfectly smooth so long as the FPS does not drop below 30FPS. I usually have the ShadowPlay FPS counter running in the bottom left corner and its typically nailed to 30 and the very odd time I see a stutter and glance at that corner the FPS is 28 or 29. It only takes a very slight drop below 30 and bam there's your stutter.

I use a Samsung 60" plasma screen TV.Don't know the model number but its a couple of years old now.

Like Steve says its a compromise 60FPS/60Hz is certainly better than 30FPS/30Hz but I will take the the longer time between frames and its associated cons over stutters any day.

Also 30FPS/30Hz is the minimum I have to put up with. That's something like departing or arriving at FT CYYZ in the PMDG 777.

For my display NCP also reveals 50hz which in some scenarios I imagine is an achievable FPS on reasonable settings. I haven't test it in P3D yet but I do use it in project cars which is also hard hitting on high setting. I find that I just cant quite make a solid 60FPS. It gets down as low as 51 or 52 and I see stutters just like in P3D or FSX but change that refresh rate to 50hz and its perfectly smooth and I personally cannot tell the difference between 50 FPS and 60.

50 frames per second will probably be achieve in P3D before 60 as it develops.

I only wish my TV did 40hz but it doesn't and I am not will to force it :Big Grin:

Ich kann justieren meinem Monitor bei 50Hz, fahre ich mit unbegrenzter FPS, VSync / Triple-Buffer  auf,  läuft sehr gut für mich.

Holliwutt

i7-10700k 5,1 GHz - 18 GB RAM - ASUS 1080Ti  - Dell G-Sync Monitor

A few points:

• Enabling VSYNC will cause more "input lag"
  • Limiting FPS to a limit your system cannot maintain = useless (you're not limiting anything at this point)
  • Limiting FPS in the sim to exactly 30 to try to match 30 hz of a monitor refresh doesn't work properly because a limit of 30 in the sim will always yield less than 30 FPS (IE 29.2  etc) You need to set it a tiny bit higher to give it enough headroom so that it doesn't drop below 30 (so set it to 31 or 32 ) 
  • Blurries are caused ( among other possibilities) because of trying to run at too high of a frame rate and the sim doesn't have the time to finish rendering the current frame before it is starting to work on the next ( No look ahead as Steve likes to call it)  So great , you get 50 FPS but it's blurry "how do I fix it" ----lower your FPS to a reasonable setting

Enabling VSYNC will cause more "input lag"

Yes, but that's why Triple Buffering exists ... I always recommend to enable Triple Buffer to remove input lag when using Vsync.

Pulled from wiki:

In computer graphicstriple buffering is similar to double buffering but provides a speed improvement. In double buffering the program must wait until the finished drawing is copied or swapped before starting the next drawing. This waiting period could be several milliseconds during which neither buffer can be touched.

In triple buffering the program has two back buffers and can immediately start drawing in the one that is not involved in such copying. The third buffer, the front buffer, is read by the graphics card to display the image on the monitor. Once the monitor has been drawn, the front buffer is flipped with (or copied from) the back buffer holding the last complete screen. Since one of the back buffers is always complete, the graphics card never has to wait for the software to complete. Consequently, the software and the graphics card are completely independent, and can run at their own pace. Finally, the displayed image was started without waiting for synchronization and thus with minimum lag.[1]

Due to the software algorithm not having to poll the graphics hardware for monitor refresh events, the algorithm is free to run as fast as possible. This can mean that several drawings that are never displayed are written to the back buffers. This is not the only method of triple buffering available, but is the most prevalent on the PCarchitecture where the speed of the target machine is highly variable.

Cheers, Rob.

I always recommend to enable Triple Buffer

But on your table Rob on line 6 which is what  I do most of the time, you indicate "no" for tripple buffing.

I actually had it on all the time until I say you Table and then turned it off. I didn't notice any difference

after turning it off so I just left it off.

Limiting FPS in the sim to exactly 30 to try to match 30 hz of a monitor refresh doesn't work properly

If you can set your monitor to 30hz there is no need to limit the FPS to 30. With the frame rate set to unlimited, enabling Vsync keeps the FPS at 30?

Well I did a test at fps 31 and 32 locked. Vsync off an triplebuffer off and I got stuttering

Back to unlimited and vsync on triple buffer on smooth as silk

But on your table Rob on line 6 which is what  I do most of the time, you indicate "no" for tripple buffing.

Correct, because Vsync would not be useful (set to OFF) if FPS drop below 60 (line 6 it's 59) ... see NA in 30Hz (this assume one's monitor can't operate at 30Hz).  Triple buffering is ONLY available when Vsync is selected ... that's the only time it would make sense to use it.

If one can operate >60 fps and one's monitor does 60Hz, then Vsync = On ... at 60Hz one may not need to use Triple Buffer as 60Hz is probably fast enough to avoid lag.

Cheers, Rob.

OK, I see we are not taking about the same line and that's because I copied your table into excel.

Looking at the original table I see that i am actually referring to line 3. And I see the difference between

lines 2 and 3 and that makes perfect sense. Sorry to waste your time on that :-)

I took a screen shot of the table instead :-)

I took a screen shot of the table instead

Cool, but Vsync = On and Triple Buffer = On is always my prefered setting (assuming I can maintain FPS > monitor refresh rate).  

With extreme graphics settings and a bunch of add-ons at 4K I can usually stay above 30 FPS with an occasional drop/stutter here and there in dense areas ... I can live with an occasional long frame.

Cheers, Rob.