Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

VSYNC P3D V3

Per Rob and Avidean's advice in this topic I have just picked up a 4k monitor that can run at 30hz refresh rate.  Now along with my new Skylake system and 980ti I'm hopeful I can achieve a smooth 30fps as they shows in their videos;  of course with the correct display settings.

I can already maintain above 30 using DSR at 4x and unlimited fps with Vsync and Triple Buffering in PMDG so I'm pretty confident my stutters will be eliminated.

Its my wifes Birthday present because today is her birthday!   :Party:

Sean Green

Its my wifes Birthday present because today is her birthday!

That's the oldest trick in the book getting yourself something and trying to pass it off as the wife's Christmas present.

It could be worse though, you could have got her a rolling pin and ended up in hospital. LOL!

Anyway, good for you I believe this is the one crucial thing to getting a stutter free experience, a display that natively supports 30Hz. Hopefully some day we will have the same experience at 60hz

I have been working on setting for the very hardest hitting addons to use with Sim Starter. I still need to add an AI addons which will probably be WOAI packages with the FS9 packages batch converted for FSX and I want to add UTX 2 also.

This is FT CYYZ, Global and the PMDG 777 with ASN real weather everything else is default. Hopefully, adding REX 4 or soft clouds with the right setting will be better than the default clouds which I am still using.

For some reason the AP disengaged along the way :-)

Here is where I am at so far. Just a hand flown circuit gate to gate at CYYZ.

Its about a half hour all together and doesn't include the setting. In two parts

its the unedited MP4 straight from ShadowPlay.

The thing that gets me is arriving back at the same airport the performance

has dropped and regularly dips below 30 see the taxi back to gate in Part 2.

So I have to reduce the setting further. Once I can accomplish this though at

a constant 30FPS those setting become the base setting for Tubeliner flying.

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/Hho7lPAiT3w

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/3h9KQ2ZyjSk

What is the best for P3D? G-sync or V-sync 30Hz (not able 60fps in all situations)? 

Benjamin Hennes

Ryzen 7 7800X3D|2080Ti 11GB|32GB DDR5 RAM|1TB SSD|Windows 11 Home

Hi Benjamin,

As an ageing codger who has been Flight Simming on and off for more years than he can remember I can say I have used a fair few monitors in my time. That being said, I can state with some confidence that a G-Sync enabled monitor is a great solution these days. I have an Asus ROG Swift PG278Q which can refresh at 144Hz Max, although I do favour 120MHz - I have one RPG which requires a monitor refresh of 60Hz to avoid visual artifacts so I use Monitor Technology: Fixed refresh and VSync: Adaptive (half refresh) in NVidia Control Panel for that game.

My experience confirms that frame rates from, say, 30 - 120fps are handled with ease by G-Sync and there is NO input lag. I get great results with Prepar3D v3.1 providing frame rates are >30. Fortunately my new over-clocked system can maintain higher frame rates most of the time and so screen updates remain very smooth and are free of any tearing. It's important to remember that G-Sync only works with more recent NVIDIA GPUs and drivers. I have an SLI setup (2xGTX980) and performance is superb. My understanding is that G-Sync is only really effective on monitors with high maximum refresh rates. If your monitor only displayed at 60Hz then G-Sync, if available which is unlikely, would not work on frame rates >60 so you need a monitor that is both G-Sync enabled and is capable of higher refresh rates. If a game was consistently pushing out frame rates higher than your monitor's maximum refresh then my understanding is that VSync + triple buffering would be the appropriate alternative solution.

Here is a link to an interesting and fairly recent review of G-Sync:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/g-sync-tested-is-it-worth-the-price-or-destined-for-the-parts-pile/

G-Sync monitors are still expensive although are coming down in price. I would recommend one as a good investment especially if your intention is to run other titles as well.

Good luck!

Mike

• Upvote 1

Hi Mike,

Glad G-sync is working for you, but I don't believe there are any G-Sync monitors that support 4K resolution?  I think 165Hz G-sync IPS units are around $800 if I recall ... which is about the same price as a good quality 4K monitor.

LG and Sony and Samsung will be ramping up their 8K monitors this year which "might" drive down 4K monitor prices even more ... but 8K on a Titan X or 980Ti is not going to work, we'll need to see what nVidia (or AMD) can come up with for 8K ... also need to see what data transmission format they'll support as I'm only currently aware of two formats that support 8K's data bandwidth needs ... DisplayPort 1.4a and SuperMHL (evolution of HDMI) ... and of course the associated cables/connectors to support the bandwidth and latency needs.

I believe Apple are planning to release iMacs and notebooks with 8K displays in 2016 also.

2016 is gonna be an interesting year on the hardware front ... I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers, Rob.

Mike, thanks for a nice explanational reply :)

I have a pretty descent system for P3D (i7-2700k@4.8, GTX 980Ti 6GB, 8GB RAM) and I am able to be above 30fps in practically all

situations with the NGX (VC, outside 50-70). From reading what you are writing I will be good with buying a screen capable of G-sync and a 

high maximum refresh rate. I am also going to try 30Hz + Vsync sometime during the year just to see how it is compared, but from what you write

I believe G-sync is the future for games that runs steady over 30fps. 

The Swift monitor is a bit expensive for my wallet, but I have been looking at the AOC 2460PG (if I remember correctly) and I am thinking of buying that one in about 

a month or so. That has a refresh of 144Hz + G-sync. 

Any thoughts on the AOC monitor? Does it look suitable? The size is fine for me, I am used to a 21.5 inch screen.

EDIT: The 1920x1080 resolution is more than enough for me personally. 

Thanks once again,

Ben 

Benjamin Hennes

Ryzen 7 7800X3D|2080Ti 11GB|32GB DDR5 RAM|1TB SSD|Windows 11 Home

What have you set your frame limiter to in P3D rob?

Unlimited ... Vsync will do the limiting (monitor at 30Hz so 30 FPS) and triple buffer will remove any lag issues.

Cheers, Rob.

Unlimited ... Vsync will do the limiting (monitor at 30Hz so 30 FPS) and triple buffer will remove any lag issues.

Cheers, Rob.

My monitor doesn't play well with 30hz only 60hz. So should i set unlimited frames and vsync on then?

Vernon Howells

Hi Ben,

Looking at the AOC monitor specs I think it would be a good choice. Others seem to like it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PG-24-inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B00LBSZHAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452290115&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC+2460PG

Came across this 'expert' review where some reservations were expressed regarding whether or not to use G-Sync at very high refresh rates:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pc-monitors/1401418/aoc-g2460pg-g-sync-monitor-review

While he may have a point, I remain a G-Sync convert and wouldn't be without it now. VSync can do the job providing the right conditions prevail whereas when G-Sync is active it 'simply' matches your monitor's refresh rate with the frame rate output from you GPU/s which can be varying all the time. This seems to me to be a much more elegant solution and produces very consistent and pleasing visual results.

Regards,

Mike

Robs chart is perfect.

Bottom line is don't use Vsync unless you have tearing or your FPS will exceed your selected refresh rate of your monitor. There is no benefit too it otherwise.

Another dirty little secret that no one discusses either is that at 30hz your mouse movement, controls, TrackIR etc will not be as smooth as at 60hz or greater as these are all indirectly tied to the refresh rate.

Here is an example: http://www.blurbusters.com/mouse-125hz-vs-500hz-vs-1000hz/

Early in the thread, this is the what I'd recommend:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/480724-vsync-p3d-v3/?p=3347722

It depends on what you min FPS is.

Cheers, Rob.

I can get about 30 to 50 but it jumps up and down. In heavy clouds just under 25 mostly. I'm running aero mode to get rid of tearing.

Robs chart is perfect.

Bottom line is don't use Vsync unless you have tearing or your FPS will exceed your selected refresh rate of your monitor. There is no benefit too it otherwise.

Another dirty little secret that no one discusses either is that at 30hz your mouse movement, controls, TrackIR etc will not be as smooth as at 60hz or greater as these are all indirectly tied to the refresh rate.

Here is an example: http://www.blurbusters.com/mouse-125hz-vs-500hz-vs-1000hz/

Thats what happens to my monitor if i set it at 30hz

Vernon Howells

Another dirty little secret that no one discusses either

I have discussed that numerous times. I have describe it as akin to a mix of double visions or motion blur when panning.

You get that at 60hz too just not as pronounced. Anyway, its far more tolerable than stutters, IMO

Actually that phenomenon is just as indirectly tied to Frame rate so instead of having to put up with it at 30FPS with a smooth 30hz the alternative to to put up with and erratic FPS between 30 and 50 at a stuttery 60hz

That would have to be the worst kept secret out there then.  :).

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.