Sign in to follow this  

Seeking experiences of throttle quadrants...

Looking to get a new throttle quadrant ... the units I've had in the past (work well enough but missing a solid feel) are:

1.  CH Quadrant

2.  GoFlight TQ6

3.  Saitek Quandrants

Any recommendations ... needs to have:

1. Meaty handles (I have big hands)

2. Smooth fluid motion with some resistance be not too much (adjustable would be even better) - key is smooth

3. Reverse thrust trigger abilities

4. Minimum 4 handles (6 preferred)

Cheers, Rob.

If you are willing to sacrifice the minimum of 4 handles i can recommend the Thrustmaster Warthog joystick, it really is a superb piece of kit and meets all your other criteria. 

Ian R Tyldesley

Owned #1 and #3, demoed #2.

#1 CH Products tend outlast Saitek in regards to POT smoothness over time, I never really had any issues with that unit and could assign reverse thrust and smooth throttle axis operation all the time. There was very litte friction though and always left me wanting more.

The thing they did right though is mounting straight on the desk still achieved the 45 degree angles and Idle and Max thrust where the Saitek is awkward and a full 90 to the floor unless you get that mounting box that fixes that. 

#2 For the price I was quite surprised when I demoed it as I said to myself, "Really... It was really flimsy, even with light pressure and simple throttling up and down the handles wiggled, not because of their connection the the base but because the actual metal prongs that went down into the unit where really thin. The plastic knobs on each one felt too small and was cheapy-ish plastic (That I Thought) and for a unit of that cost it really was a let down.

#3 For the price I still feel this is the best one in regards to size when you combine two together (Only then is it acceptable). The Pots will fail over time and get to an unusable point but you do get a lot of life out of them.

You must do this which greatly enhances the experience. Take the big black thrust lever that combines the 4 handles together so they all move in one, and I used a modeler saw and cut the handle right in the middle that gave me Two big thrust levers.

If you look at the 6 levers on the two Saiteks (Spoliers 1-2-3-4 Flaps) then the newly split handle will sit on 1-2 / 3-4. So you get twice the friction per engine. Obviously this is for a twin setup so that leaves levers 2 and 4 unassigned and 1 and 3 become engines 1 and 2 in sim. 

This was the best thing I did. They were meaty handles, single engine flying felt real because your were grabbing a leaver twice the size of a single one. The increased friction alone was the huge winner though. I would buy these again on a budget.

If money were no option tho, I would look at a TQ from FDS or one of those major leagues. 

Thanks for input, wasn't really trying to suggest issues with my existing units I've used, was looking more for different products ... (ultimately this will be for my uPit project - Universal Cockpit).

I was looking at this unit here: http://www.throttletek.com/b747-400.html

But for $2200 US, I'd expect some type of resistance adjustments in the arms/handles and that unit doesn't offer it.  

And this unit (looks very similar): http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/components/b747/b747-pedestal/b744-pro-mx-throttle-set-stand/

Also JetMax: http://www.jetmax.ca/components/jetmax-737tq

But again for $1500 no resistance adjustments.

The PFC looks interesting: https://store.flypfc.com/?/products/throttle-quadrants/two-engine-jet-enhanced-speed-brake-throttle-reversers-throttle-flap-with-g/ or this one: https://store.flypfc.com/?/products/throttle-quadrants/four-engine-jet-spoilers-throttles-reversers/ ... would like to know how the feel on the resistance front.  What I don't understand about PFC is the need for this unit: https://store.flypfc.com/index.php?/products/consoles/throttle-quadrant-console1/  ?  Is it just for mounting or does it contain the electronics to connect USB?

Cheers, Rob.

Shoot PFC an email, they are good about replying. I am starting to steer clear from them now though, they seem to be growing and concern for us little guys is declining.

I have their PFC Column Saab Yoke with Jet Bucket rudder pedals USB, and back in they day for Refurb / Maint and general wear and tear changing srpings etc. They would charge on amount of labor given + parts. Now its a flat fee of over $300!

So even something basic like replace a toggle, takes maybe 30 min and 15-20 bucks in parts = $300! That doesn't fly with me.

I am replacing my Yoke with this http://www.agronn.com/#!flight-controls-737/c14z0 and cannot wait!

Second will be the pedals to these once I sell off my exisiting yoke and pedals.

http://www.simujabs.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/boeing/boeing-b-737/b737-single-rudder-pedals-detail?Itemid=0

I don't think you can go wrong with FDS, and boy that 747 Quad looks great and Im sure its build to last! The think you have going for you is the CAD is so weak vs the USD so if you are a USD guy this is the time to buy.

Shoot PFC an email, they are good about replying. I am starting to steer clear from them now though, they seem to be growing and concern for us little guys is declining.

I have their PFC Column Saab Yoke with Jet Bucket rudder pedals USB, and back in they day for Refurb / Maint and general wear and tear changing srpings etc. They would charge on amount of labor given + parts. Now its a flat fee of over $300!

So even something basic like replace a toggle, takes maybe 30 min and 15-20 bucks in parts = $300! That doesn't fly with me.

I am replacing my Yoke with this http://www.agronn.com/#!flight-controls-737/c14z0 and cannot wait!

Second will be the pedals to these once I sell off my exisiting yoke and pedals.

http://www.simujabs.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/boeing/boeing-b-737/b737-single-rudder-pedals-detail?Itemid=0

I don't think you can go wrong with FDS, and boy that 747 Quad looks great and Im sure its build to last! The think you have going for you is the CAD is so weak vs the USD so if you are a USD guy this is the time to buy.

Does the argonn yoke have hall sensors?  And are there any reviews for this company and their products?  I never heard of them.  I have a new Saab yoke on backorder from PFC and was still shopping around for a new yoke.

Nevermind, found it.... it does have hall sensors.  Do you know the lead time of them delivering their 737 yokes?

Nevermind, found it.... it does have hall sensors.  Do you know the lead time of them delivering their 737 yokes?

Rob,

I can vouch for the quality of the PFC Throttle Quadrant Console!  I have had one for about 2 years, and have many of their add-on throttles (3-lever TPM, 6-lever TPM, 2-engine jet quadrant and vernier (push-pull) TPM.  The resistance is adjustable by turning the screw on the side of each quadrant.  Also provides flap switch, gear switch, rudder trim (not used much - very sensitive) and TOGA button.  Very happy customer here!

Gerald

So sorry.. Just one more question.  On their website when trying to place my order, only the first officer side is available to purchase.  Were able to get order the captain model?  

Lead time is about 3 weeks, they are on vacation until the new year. Captain yoke is available, and yes what sold me was the gas tension loading (No Spring) All metal, Hall Effect, No sticker, laser engraved markings, and full 180 degree roll 90 Left/Right. 

Thanks for all the input ... how narrow are the PFC throttles?  They look very close together ... I can see myself moving the spoiler arm when pulling back on the throttles ... or is it just the angle of the pictures?

Cheers, Rob.

Lead time is about 3 weeks, they are on vacation until the new year. Captain yoke is available, and yes what sold me was the gas tension loading (No Spring) All metal, Hall Effect, No sticker, laser engraved markings, and full 180 degree roll 90 Left/Right. 

Okay.  If you can, let me know how you like it.  

Rob,

The throttles are fairly narrow, however, the two throttle levers are a bit taller than the spoiler lever.  The spoiler lever is also angled outwards, which helps.  I have never had an issue using the spoilers (I have the less expensive two engine jet unit, not the enhanced twin jet quadrant).

Regards,

Gerald

I spend 99% of my flight time in the PMDG 737 NGX and 777.  I've used a Saitek yoke+TQ plus a 2nd TQ for three years.  They've held up well and, obviously, can be configured for a variety of aircraft, but I wanted something more immersive (I'm always aware that I'm moving little plastic sticks on the Saiteks).  I seriously considered the GoFlight TQ6 as a compromise solution.  Higher quality than Saitek, not fully realistic but configurable. I ended up buying the JetMax 737TQ for the most realistic TQ that I could afford.  I've been using them for a couple of weeks and I'm very satisfied.  The throttles are smooth as silk and its great to have detents for the flaps and speed brake.  Peter (and everyone) at FDS have quickly responded to my few questions.  I'm still using one of the Saitek TQs on my left side for the tiller.  Of course, now I'm on the list to get MFG Crosswind rudder pedals and I'm looking at replacing my yoke.  Full cockpit, here I come.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0