Sign in to follow this  
gpf3m

ORBX SOCAL

Very disapointed with this title.  I have tried all sorts of settings to get smooth performance with ok frame rates; to include no autogen.  The results are the same.  Poor frame rates and no smooth movement.  The only way I can improve it is to remove it from my computer or fly where there is only desert. 

i7 4820K OC 4.5ghz

24gig ram

1 T SSD

GTX 980 TI

Prepar3d V3.1

WIN 10

4K monitor

Really too bad to hear, GPF. I just flew from Monterey (KMRY) to Santa Barbara (KSBA) and had zero problems - average frame rate of 23.8 versus my target of 24.0. My rig is a bit dated relative to yours, 3770K with GTX780, P3D 3.0.

In fact, I am hugely impressed - the amount of GA traffic in the skies is phenomenal, on the order of PNW with the Orbx GA AI package installed. Perhaps you were not aware of all of the traffic in the skies with you?

The Orbx boys did a great job with KSBA - very detailed, Object Flow people running around, the only thing missing is Commercial Aircraft, ala KMRY. 

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Really too bad to hear, GPF. I just flew from Monterey (KMRY) to Santa Barbara (KSBA) and had zero problems - average frame rate of 23.8 versus my target of 24.0. My rig is a bit dated relative to yours, 3770K with GTX780, P3D 3.0.

In fact, I am hugely impressed - the amount of GA traffic in the skies is phenomenal, on the order of PNW with the Orbx GA AI package installed. Perhaps you were not aware of all of the traffic in the skies with you?

The Orbx boys did a great job with KSBA - very detailed, Object Flow people running around, the only thing missing is Commercial Aircraft, ala KMRY.

Well it's all subjective right? I assume the flight you mentioned was done in a GA aircraft, no? Then to me getting 23-24 fps on a 3770K with a GTX 780 is a joke. I get 50-60 fps on a 4770K/780 in other FTX regions. Norcal was already a performance hog but this one seems to be even worse (and unuseable for any kind of tube-flying). The Orbx guys are great artists but they have no clue about performance optimization. Too bad...

EDIT: Just saw that you lock your frames at 24. However, a lot of people report frames in the low 20s with GA aircraft on powerful systems. Totally unacceptable...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Bought today, and am impressed. Flew from KMRY to KSBA and then on to KSAN. FPS reduced around LA and less so around San Diego, as expected. Performance elsewhere was good. This is a dense, detailed scenery, especially in the urban areas. I expect the autogen and object placement around LA is more dense than any other autogen/landclass based scenery product on the market. Not sure I fully understand the complaints about performance. Performance is going to be affected with so much scenery detail to process.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Via FTX Central, try turning OFF SD Docks and Windmill farms.  There is A LOT custom autogen buildings here so you might want to drop the building Autogen slider down a notch or two.

Some other items to turn down if FPS is still a problem:

1.  Water = Medium

2.  SimObject shadows = OFF

3.  Dynamic Reflections = OFF

4.  Building shadows = OFF

I do agree, this region is very "intense" in some areas (kinda depends which direction you're facing).  But LA is a mass of building sprawl across a large area, it's more intense than DD NY as DD NY looks to be using single texture sets across multiple building objects where-as Orbx uses a different approach.

Cheers, Rob.

We now have Orbx regions all along the US/Canada West coast. We need more quality Orbx airports in this large multi-region area of the type and quality in N. California. There is especially a big gap in Oregon. Leaving KFOT and heading north, the next Orbx airport is KHQM,

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I seem to have a massive problem with the SCA scenery. I have all of the west coast ORBX regions; until now, I had only flown in the PNW region, which was great.

However, when I fly in and around LA, the coast is very bad. The coastline itself is OK, but a couple of hundred feet beyond the beach, land starts again for as far as I can see. There are even some buildings on this fake land. I don't yet know if this the cause, but I have FTX Central 2 set to Enable "hybrid mode".

I found the inland portion of SCA to be very beautiful. I have the Terrain, Scenery Objects and Special Effects detail all set to max. But for some region, the Pacific Ocean is missing.

Frans

Did you install the latest Orbx Libraries (151213) after installing Socal?

Greg

I do have the latest library. I'm sure though that it was installed prior to NA SCA's installation. Should I re-install the library?

Frans

Extremely differing opinions on this product. I was about to hit the "buy" button but now I am a bit put off. This is one of my favourite parts of the US so I'd love to fly there but my now dated 4790/970/16 rig might not perform as desired. Looking for some vids from people without a recent high end system.

Hans

SoCal has been a mixed bag for me but overall leaning toward the positive side.

On the "cons":

1) color correction of photoscenery is not correct for this area

2) VERY high density autogen (this, as Rob points out, is more of a feature but you still have to deal with it)

3) some areas in land class depiction rather than photoscenery look unnatural to me

On the "pros"

1) REALLY NICE upgrade to all the default airports, including the military airfields. Many have photobase

2) It looks like San Diego :-)

3) the Orbx config tools have a large number of possible combinations to try for performance

Overall happy with the purchase but hoping for a service pack with better color correction.

. Looking for some vids from people without a recent high end system.

here's one from my system which is 4 years old and pretty low end. i7-930 at 3.6ghz, gtx650ti (1gig) and 18g ram, win764bit

i use fairly low settings...sparse autogen with fancy planes like the 737 or q400... it's flyable, looks pretty nice, definitely slowish in the dense areas but not much different at san diego than it is in seattle or in the bay area (and the non-urban areas perform a bit better for sure)... you can see some blurries on the approach in san deigo for sure and the fps here are not helped by the heavy clouds over KSAN today ..blame el nino.. anyway your system is way better than mine so you could probably acheive similar smoothness with better visuals or better smoothness too. also keep in mind that i lose about 5fps if i am recording video.

cheers

-andy crosby

Thanks a lot for your input. I may reconsider buying it :-)

Hans

I gave up on FTX Socal...too much of a performance hit. I have a decent computer, but with SCA I suffer from stutters and framerate drops which I personally do not accept, since I use FTX as a training platform with Pilotedge. So, I reverted back to FTX Global and UTX 2.1 USA - with sliders almost on all max. and no framerate hit at all. Of course I miss the nice textures and photo scenery from SCA, but you cannot have it all, unfortunately.

I think the major performance drop comes from the upgraded airports in LA and San Diego region - there are simply too many of them. I even deinstalled the free NA airport package from ORBX and upgrade the airports which i normally use myself with IS3 - just put some static aircrafts here and there, some vehicles and people...voilá. 

It is also possible to deactivate the upgraded airports in FTX Socal I think, this should help if you have performance hits.