Hello, I'm going from a gtx 780 to a Evga 980ti card. I have a 1200w ps and the power lead coming from the ps has one 6 pin and one 8 pin connectors that powered the 780 card. My problem is that the 980 card has two 8 pin connects. How will I hook this up?  My card came with 2 adapters and each just alike.  The adapters on one end has an 8 pin connector and the other end has 2 each 6 pin connectors. Any help how to hook this up correctly will be appreciated....Thanks in advance.  :smile:

Regards

Lamar Wright

The card will come with adapters that will connect to another cord off your PSU, just go to newegg and look at the pics of whats in the box. Your 1200w PSU should have come with accessories in fact enough cables to run 2 980Ti's

The card will come with adapters that will connect to another cord off your PSU, just go to newegg and look at the pics of whats in the box. Your 1200w PSU should have come with accessories in fact enough cables to run 2 980Ti's

Yes, it did come with two adapters like the one in the picture Jay sent. Do you need two cables going to the 980 from the ps with the 8 pin or will just one cable handle the power to the gpu?

You probably have something like this:

epsadapter.jpg

Yes Jay, both adapters that came with the 980 ti are just like this one except they are black. How would I hook this up and is just one cable coming from my psu enough to handle the current it takes to power the 980 ti ?

Regards

Lamar Wright

Jay and Angelo, this is an update on my issue with the ps cable. I found the two extra pins folded and tie rapped. So now I have two 8 pin connectors for the 980 ti.  Sometimes we just need to look a little harder!  Thanks

• Upvote 1

Regards

Lamar Wright

Ha, I thought it was weird that a 1200 watt PSU would only have an 8 and 6 pin.

Do you know if it's a multi-rail or single rail PSU? If multi-rail, best to make sure each PCIe cable is fed from different rails.

Jay and Angelo, this is an update on my issue with the ps cable. I found the two extra pins folded and tie rapped. So now I have two 8 pin connectors for the 980 ti.  Sometimes we just need to look a little harder!  Thanks

Exactly both cables have an option 6 or 8 on the 6 option you would leave the 2 pin dangling so in your case obviously you would use all the pins for both connections - good luck

Rich Sennett

Exactly both cables have an option 6 or 8 on the 6 option you would leave the 2 pin dangling so in your case obviously you would use all the pins for both connections - good luck

Thanks Rich, just got through  looking at your beautiful Corsair 900 box. You are doing a great job + thanks for the help, went with your advice and used the driver cleaner and no problems at all!  One word for the 980 ti WOW!!!

Regards

Lamar Wright

Thanks Rich, just got through  looking at your beautiful Corsair 900 box. You are doing a great job + thanks for the help, went with your advice and used the driver cleaner and no problems at all!  One word for the 980 ti WOW!!!

Excellent - and a great choice of video card - congrats Buddy  :wink:

Rich Sennett