No i followed Nick N haswell guide

Yes, very good guide.

Used it myself.

What about the old advice of turning off (disable) "USB selective suspend" in Windows advanced power management settings?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I will check that option but does nick windows 7 guide not cover that? Its defo the OC because not had a problem since

Vernon Howells

I will check that option but does nick windows 7 guide not cover that? Its defo the OC because not had a problem since

No I don't think he mentions usb suspend in the guide.

You say the error happens only with three particular controllers plugged into a hub?

Does it happen to these if you plug them directly into the computer when overclocked?

If not perhaps getting a four port PCIe usb card for them might work.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Ok i will check it out.

I have tried all ports and with the OC keeps coming back.

Have you got a link to this four port PCIe

Vernon Howells

Why not abandon Nick N's advice. Why not set everything to optimised defaults, and then approach your overclocking again, from a different perspective. There are plenty of other guides out there.

Which motherboard is it? If it's Asus, the Asus auto rules are very good. If you set to optimised defaults and then auto overclock with Asus AI Suite, what happens... still a USB issue or not? If not you know it's your dodgy overclock.

Keep it simple.

How much are you overclocking by?

What's the voltage?

Sometimes, underlying motherboard issues are brought to the surface when overclocking. But it's far more likely hear that it's simply an unstable overclock.

Hi martin my OC is running at the ASUS optimal OC and i get no USB CODE 10 on any device.

My voltage was 1.20 after passing the heat test on OCCT

Vernon Howells

What do you mean by Asus optimal overclock? Do you mean just UEFI to defaults, so stock frequency plus turbo...

What is the frequency you are running at under load?
What is the voltage under load?

Remember, the frequency and voltage will drop when at idle, so you must determine frequency and voltage while under load.

Did you just apply Nick N's settings and not stress test?

I may be utterly wrong, but your USB issue while overclocking issue appears to be simply an unstable overclock to me. Chipset is misbehaving due to the instability.

You haven't said what frequency and voltage you were at when you had the USB issue, but...

What happens if you back off that frequency a little, still unstable or not? If you are unstable at a particular frequency then you simply need to reduce the frequency in steps until stable. Or perhaps apply more voltage if required. While staying clear of dangerous voltages of course.

What happens if you apply a gentle overclock and leave all voltages on Auto, allowing Asus auto rules to set the voltage?

Need more info really. Need to know what the frequency was when you had the USB/OC issue and at what voltage? How did you stress test if at all, and with which utility and for how long?

EDIT: Just checked out your motherboard, I don't think you have 5 way optimisation.

Asus optimal OC can't say anymore really. Its in nicks guide he mentions auto OC before his own OC guide.

I followed nicks OC guide to the letter carried out ALL tests. Tried 40-41-42 ghz all passed both OCCT tests.

My last OC was 42ghz and V1.20 cache at 42

OCCT stress test 1 hour

CPU CACHE VOLTAGE: MANUAL MODE

CPU CACHE VOLTAGE OVERRIDE: 1.28

CPU SYSTEM AGENT OFFSET MODE SIGN: +

CPU SYSTEM AGENT VOLTAGE OFFSET: .280

CPU ANALOG I/O VOLTAGE OFFSET SIGN: +

CPU ANALOG I/O VOLTAGE OFFSET: .050

CPU DIGITAL I/O VOLTAGE OFFSET SIGN: +

CPU DIGITAL I/O VOLTAGE OFFSET: .100

CPU INPUT VOLTAGE: 1.88

---------------------------------------------------

NOTE: ROG BOARDS THAT DEFINE 2 CPU INPUT VOLTAGES:

INITIAL CPU INPUT VOLTAGE: 1.82

EVENTUAL CPU INPUT VOLTAGE: 1.88

Results underload

Thanks for helping out.

VCCSA 1.136v

CPU VCORE 1.200v

Package 75c

Vernon Howells

I have an ASUS ROG Gamers VIII Hero board with a 6700K the 5-Way Optimization got me a 4.89Ghz OC, I manually downclocked it to 4.80Ghz 24/7.

Only issue I had was the USB connect in and out sound like plugging and unplugging every second for my rudders. Literally every second, du-dung... bu-dung... Solved it by getting a powered USB hub, other than that I think Windows 10 is finnicky with older USB flight controls.  

I think Windows 10 is finnicky with older USB flight controls.  

I had trouble at first with my new Windows 10 system. The issues, in my case with Saitek controls, were solved by solutions aimed at Windows Advanced Power Management. There are helpful Device Manager settings and standalone utilities floating around the internet to help resolve the issues with some brands of controllers. There are also some brief messages describing how to identify the problematic devices in Device Manager and make subsequent edits with Regedit.  I was able to skip any registry edits because I found a utility that addressed the issues with my Saitek yoke, pedals, and multi-panel.  In the case of Saitek, they finally made W10 compliant drivers available in November that solved other issues that occurred when hot swapping their devices in W10.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I had trouble at first with my new Windows 10 system. The issues, in my case with Saitek controls, were solved by solutions aimed at Windows Advanced Power Management. There are helpful Device Manager settings and standalone utilities floating around the internet to help resolve the issues with some brands of controllers. There are also some brief messages describing how to identify the problematic devices in Device Manager and make subsequent edits with Regedit.  I was able to skip any registry edits because I found a utility that addressed the issues with my Saitek yoke, pedals, and multi-panel.  In the case of Saitek, they finally made W10 compliant drivers available in November that solved other issues that occurred when hot swapping their devices in W10.

What windows advanced power management settings did you apply and or change. I use two Saitek throttles stand-alone and since I don't use a Saitek yoke the two throttle constantly swap axis assignments with each other. Maybe its a power thing who knows. 

Yeh i have all top notch hardware. Have you tried Nick N OC guide

Have you tried JJs OC guide?

Vernon Howells

Hi martin my OC is running at the ASUS optimal OC and i get no USB CODE 10 on any device.

My voltage was 1.20 after passing the heat test on OCCT

Could you clarify that Vernon.

Do you mean you have set Asus optimal settings there or you have tried the Asus auto OC?

gb.