Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Help me to buy a new monitor

My good old 22" Viewsonic that I bought in 2006 (!!!) is slowly dying and I'm thinking about getting a new one. I have practically zero knowledge about recent developments in monitors' area, so your advice wowud be much appreciated. Here is what I have as far as other hardware as my preference.

1. My system: i7-2700k, OC-ed to 4.4, Z77, 8GB DDR2 RAM, 980Ti with 6GB, 2TB Samsung EVO SSD 

2. My only "game" on my PC is P3Dv3.0 and no other "gaming" stuff is installed or expected to be installed. 

3. The budget is ~$500, but I can sacrifice a bit more if a true benefit is expected. I see that people are crazy about ASUS ROG P2787 (see the link below), but it's kinda bite a wallet. What are your thoughts about it?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/437547/ROG_Swift_PG278Q_27_WQHD_G-Sync_LED_Monitor

4. I'm not fan of large, TV-like 40" monitors, I'd rather prefer clear and stable picture than a size of it. 27 inches looks ok to me.

Thank in advance for your recommendations.

Best Regards

Dmitriy

ASUS ROG P2787 is a nice monitor. G-Synch is a great feature. I was considering this monitor myself. I should point out though, it has no pre-set picture modes. So if like me, you like a mode set for the desktop, a mode for games and a mode for FSX, then you won't have that option. Set the monitor up and that's it it stays at that setting.

For the reason mentioned above, I think I will be going for the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" WQHD 165Hz IPS G-Sync. Which does have pre-set picture modes and is an IPS panel.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-asus-pg279q-rog-swift-165hz-nvidia-g-sync-ips-monitor-2560x1440-4ms-10001-dp-hdmi-2x-usb-30-black

Thanks for the response.

How about this one, for roughly $230. I see it lacks G-Sync and it has lower native resolution. However, should I really need G-Sync in P3D if I'm mostly IFR fflyer?

In addition, I'd like another technical question to ask. If I buy 2k or 4k monitor, does it mean that I must run P3D with 2040 and 4080 resolutions respectively if I want to enjoy the full power of new monitors OR I will be able to achieve it even with 1024 P3D texture resolution?

4ms response time? Are you sure it's good for the sim?

Seriously.?

As you don't have any "gaming" stuff, I'm sure you're no gamer, but that is more than enough for demanding games, of which a flight simulator is not...

Seriously.?

As you don't have any "gaming" stuff, I'm sure you're no gamer, but that is more than enough for demanding games, of which a flight simulator is not...

Good to know. I'm following the other topic as well trying understand the importance of response time in P3D environment. I presume that response time is critical for shooters mostly, not for flighsims, correct?

"I presume that response time is critical for shooters mostly, not for flighsims, correct?"  Correct.

Martin

The monitor I was interested i is only 4ms too. However the reviews are adamant it''s not an issue in games. 

I've just recently upgraded my monitor and looked seriously at the 21:9 screen format. I decided not to go down that route as there is still the odd game/application which doesn't like that screen size. Instead I went for an AOC Q3277PQU and highly recommend it - 2560x1440, 32" with a flicker-free AMVA panel (a type of IPS) and It cost me £320 (470 USD). It has the same panel as the BenQ BL3200PT which Martin mentioned but, apart from being cheaper, has the addition of picture-in-picture from another source. It avoids all of the small text problems some people find with the 2560x1440 27" panels. It's very well built with a fantastic stand which has just about every possible adjustment. There are no noticeable ghosting or blur problems in games or videos but, admittedly, I don't play any first-person-shooter games. Apart from FSX, I've tried it with Project Cars and Elite: Dangerous and can't praise it enough. It's a fairly new model and I could only find one review of it on a French site (it did very well) so I took a bit of a gamble but couldn't be more pleased, especially for the price. 32" and 2560x1440 certainly seems to be the sweet-spot as far as I'm concerned. If you're interested in this size monitor, there are a number with this panel on the market but some, like the Samsung version, are only flicker-free down to about 30% brightness - definitely an issue for me.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Nice monitor. 60Hz though, I'm aiming for higher.

Why? Unless you're a dedicated first-person-shooter player it's unlikely that you'd notice the difference, particularly in FSX. For the high refresh rate monitors you generally lose screen quality for the same price or pay a lot more for comparable screen quality compared to a 60Hz monitor. As my wife will undoubtedly confirm, I read many reviews and did A LOT of research before buying a 60Hz monitor.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit