Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

New to forums, long time sim fan

Just wanted to pop in and say hello.

I'm new to the forum but have sim'd a bit in years past.  Nothing in depth.

I do have a PPL but not many hours, haven't actually flown in years.  

In any event, I decided to dive back in and give P3D a whirl.  Been flying a Malibu, Jetprop, TBM 850 and a couple other nice models around the last week or so.  Wow, isn't the G1000 fancy!!  But, the 530/430 combos are even a whole different world than what I learned on.  It almost makes flying to easy, click a few buttons and the runway appears in front of you for landing.  As long as you've got your config right you can land about anything.  

I've poked around already and have found some wonderful information here.  Glad I found this place!!!!

Planning to add some saitek equipment here soon if funding allows.  

I have never dabbled with add-on stuff other than aircraft.  Always flown pretty plain jane.  I'd love some advice on freeware or relatively inexpensive payware that would make things more fun or better to look at without being a complete pain to install.  

Thanks everyone!!!

D

Welcome to Avsim, Carguy!

A very nice piece of freeware to start with is FreeMeshX. A detailed mesh(shape of the land) and it has global coverage.

You can find it in the freeware section of this forum.

Cheers!

Maarten

Welcome to Avsim, Carguy!

A very nice piece of freeware to start with is FreeMeshX. A detailed mesh(shape of the land) and it has global coverage.

You can find it in the freeware section of this forum.

Thank you for the kind welcome.   These meshs look nice!!   There are pretty bulky though, I think I'd only really want to store one continent on the HDD.   Do they slow down the sim any?

Welcome Carguy.    FreeMesh X forums, loads of tips and information in there.   http://www.avsim.com/forum/737-freemeshx-global-support-forum/

Does it slow down the Sim any,  Its like anything really,  you just have to get the balance right, add a bit and test and so.  The more Ad On's you add in general will have an effect alight.  Its a learning curve.

Sometimes a frustrating one,  but well worth it.    I fly mostly with A2A simulations,  little planes and fighters. 

Your in the right spot though for information

Welcome aboard, you might want to check out this site, they have a lot of good scenery freeware and some free demo's.

https://fullterrain.com/

Cheers

Martin

Gotta love some freeware, thank you!   

I'm still trying to get my head around mesh vs. terrain vs. land class vs. scenery, etc.    Confusing but I've done some searches on it and I understand it at least a little bit.  Pointers are more than welcome!!

The surface of the virtual world is build out of several layers. The first is the mesh and that's the wire frame that creates the shape of objects, in this case the land (how mountains are shaped, or valleys, or hills, all that stuff). The second are the textures, which gives everything it's visual picture, it's colors, so to speak (like rock, or grass, or sand, etc). Then you have land class, which positions the infrastructure (the way fields, or or woods, or urban areas are shaped and positioned) and it should prevent constant copies of the same patterns in the landscape. And then you have vector data, which creates a more realistic positioning of roads, rivers and streams, coastlines.

I hope I made a reasonably clear picture, without making it too technical. ;)

Cheers!

Maarten

The surface of the virtual world is build out of several layers. The first is the mesh and that's the wire frame that creates the shape of objects, in this case the land (how mountains are shaped, or valleys, or hills, all that stuff). The second are the textures, which gives everything it's visual picture, it's colors, so to speak (like rock, or grass, or sand, etc). Then you have land class, which positions the infrastructure (the way fields, or or woods, or urban areas are shaped and positioned) and it should prevent constant copies of the same patterns in the landscape. And then you have vector data, which creates a more realistic positioning of roads, rivers and streams, coastlines.

I hope I made a reasonably clear picture, without making it too technical. ;)

That does help even more.  Would that make orbx global a bit of all of those then??  I have been eyeballing orbx.  Then I read that is often combined with UTX??  It's a bit much to take in.  I'd like to improve the overall look of my sim, but not with a dozen or so products like many use, but rather one or two that are easily installed without much tinkering and troubleshooting.

And also, if orbx is not a mesh, should I get freemeshx, then orbx global?  

If you end up buying any of the Orbx regions they combine all four into that region, mesh, texture, Land Class and vector data...

Martin

Yes, i only like to get the Regions, everything is included. I fly shortish flights so they are perfect.  

Ortx sale is over in a couple of hours 

Yes the regions are a stand alone scenery with everything included, a little more expensive but its an all in one package.

Global Base is a sheet of upgraded scenery (world wide) to put on top of your Default scenery. 

I have Global Base but since i only fly within the Regions i have bought,  Ireland, UK, Wales, Norway and Scotland i don't bother with Global Base anymore,  as it sits under the Regions and you will only appreciate it until you fly outside your Regions. 

For long haul flyers Global Base is great 

It is recommended that you use Global Base when using 

ftx global airports

For the reason of The airports blending in properly.  That been said a lot of folks dont bother as the Global airports work fine without Global Base 

So would ORBX global base and their freeware global airports pack be a decent start, to get me a generally nicer looking experience??  Would they be easy to install and if I choose later, uninstall?

Yes Global Base and some of there American and Europe Freeware would be a nice start alright.  

If you act quick you will get Global Base for 32 UK Pounds or 43 Euro,  couple of more hours left