Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Livery with correct config problem

Hi

I found several livery packages for 737 ngx in Avsim library and authors clearly state that each of the liveries includes proper airline config options. Problem is - when I open it there are only .ptp files inside, no .ini. Is there option to save a config to .ptp file than? Or are the descriptions wrong? 

Thanks in advance :) 

I found several livery packages for 737 ngx in Avsim library and authors clearly state that each of the liveries includes proper airline config options. Problem is - when I open it there are only .ptp files inside, no .ini. Is there option to save a config to .ptp file than? Or are the descriptions wrong? 

A PTP is installed via the Operations Center, which should also find the ini file within it, and put it in the appropriate folder.

Kyle Rodgers

Well in my case it doesn't. Now the question is where the file goes and why...

Well in my case it doesn't. Now the question is where the file goes and why...

You're installing the PTP via the Operations Center and not getting an INI file?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes. I am installing ptp via operations center and no ini is appearing in the folder where all default ini are stored. I need to start FSX. Than ini appears but in default PMDG config. 

So for example, I read that Christian Mohr created lot of liveries for NGX including correct configurations. I downloaded Air Berlin one. I'm installing D-ABLA aircraft via Ops center and when I go to aircraft config it is reffering to D-Abla.ini but since there is no file like this in package - it does not recognize it and all aircraft config options are empty. Than I fire up FSX, spawn D-Abla Air Berlin 737-700, shutdown FSX and go back to PMDG-Ops - than I go to config options and there it is - D-Abla.ini in default PMDG 737 config (so all options on). 

Still, author said that all the aircrafts have their own config options. When I installed Norwegian Airlines liveries it had the ini files (cfg) in the zip package already so I could  manually put them into correct FSX Steam folder. In this case there is none, so I thought they are in PTP somehow and installing automatically. But they don't in fact.

I hope it's clear :( 

Found the culprit:

By installing in PMDG ops it goes to:

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700NGX WL\Texture.BER

instead of: 

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\Aircraft

I will manually transfer them although this must be specific to FSX Steam I guess 

Yes. I am installing ptp via operations center and no ini is appearing in the folder where all default ini are stored. I need to start FSX. Than ini appears but in default PMDG config. 

So for example, I read that Christian Mohr created lot of liveries for NGX including correct configurations. I downloaded Air Berlin one. I'm installing D-ABLA aircraft via Ops center and when I go to aircraft config it is reffering to D-Abla.ini but since there is no file like this in package - it does not recognize it and all aircraft config options are empty. Than I fire up FSX, spawn D-Abla Air Berlin 737-700, shutdown FSX and go back to PMDG-Ops - than I go to config options and there it is - D-Abla.ini in default PMDG 737 config (so all options on). 

Still, author said that all the aircrafts have their own config options. When I installed Norwegian Airlines liveries it had the ini files (cfg) in the zip package already so I could  manually put them into correct FSX Steam folder. In this case there is none, so I thought they are in PTP somehow and installing automatically. But they don't in fact.

I hope it's clear :sad:

Found the culprit:

By installing in PMDG ops it goes to:

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700NGX WL\Texture.BER

instead of: 

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\Aircraft

I will manually transfer them although this must be specific to FSX Steam I guess 

This is definitely a problem with the OC and it must be to because of a recent update because it used to work perfectly well with FSX-SE. Liveries downloaded and installed by the OC put the INI file in the correct place. It appears that those that use the livery manager to import a PTP file don't do so any longer for some reason.

ki9cAAb.jpg

To be honest when I saw the update of PMDG OPS center I thought this will be fixed. When I saw the changelog... I lost hope :sad:

Is PMDG team going to do something about it? As I said - it's easy to fix for now, but it's a pain to do it every time we install something. And as far as I know this aircraft is compatible with FSX Steam, not only with Prepar3d :sad:

------

EDIT: I started a ticket related to the issue. Let's see when PMDG plans to come up with solution :) 

Hi... 

Few months have passed and I came back to FSX. Only to find that the problem still occurs. Also PMDG never infromed me about fixing the issue. That is a serious let down considering value of product and so simply means that full compatibility with FSX Steam is not the case. :( 

You found a problem, documented it on a support ticket. That's all you can do.  They will probably not make a version change for such a minor bug, but because of the support ticket the bug is in their tracking system and will be picked up when they do commit resources to the OC.  I'd rather they keep focused on the new product work in progress.

I notice my Goldstar B738 AAL livery also has an ini file in the texture folder so same thing is happening in P3D, which is expected and consistent with a bug in their ptp file unwrapper.

Dan Downs KCRP

Well... if I wouldn't get an answer back in January that they will look into it I would probably not mention that. But looking into something isn't leaving it as it is without comment for next 6 months. In the end this is almost 100 bucks add on and as much as I adore it and I'm grateful to PMDG for their work I would expect it to work as intended also with regards to livery installation process which is part of this add on. If it's a minor bug than I would assume it is not necessary for whole team working on new aircraft to stop their works and I guess this could be fixed by 1 person.

If it's a minor bug than I would assume it is not necessary for whole team working on new aircraft to stop their works and I guess this could be fixed by 1 person.

That is not how software development works.... unless you ignore quality I guess.  Honest, you fix it manually so I don't understand your beef.

Dan Downs KCRP

You probably would understand it after installing over 40 liveries (I reinstalled my sim lately) and realizing that this is still not fixed and now need to go over 40 folders and manually transfer files. Waste of time when tool doesn't do what it should do. I really don't understand what is so surprising about me wanting add on to work as intended in its all areas. I thought it's normal that customer expects product to work - in the end it's not a freeware. Imagine a problem you would have with the add on which would create a problem for you. That is the same situation except "you" part :)

Guess we won't solve it here anyway. I will reach out to support again.

Problem still exists. I just finished a livery and wondered why the ini is "forgotten" along the way. Followed the manual to the letter but no success. Liveries installed via ptp don't have their .ini file copied to the other ini files. It has to be done manually in order to work.

Please, PMDG, that can't be hard to fix.

cu
Roman