Sign in to follow this  
joemiller

P3D Update/Upgrade

Gentlemen,

I see a lot of smiling faces and happy hearts- great! Though I have not moved to P3D (I'm with FSX-DX10), and just "standing on the fence," I'm becoming more and more eager about P3D. And, perhaps might jump in even before 64bit gets here. Not having the 64bit version, (and haven't seen any video out there to convince me to leave such an excellent FSX-DX10 as configured), is the only major thing holding me back.  I am very (and I mean very) happy with FSX-DX10, especially with all the OBRX products installed on it. The only draw-back is VAS.  So, I'm wondering... if I were to purchase P3D, will it come with a version  3.1 installer, or will it require a separate update to 3.1?

Joe,

I just recently uninstalled my FSX, which was performing as you say excellent. The difference is best described by how smooth the sim runs vs FSX. 

I'd suggest if you have enough hd space on a separate drive. Install P3d there and give it a go. First check with all your add ons for p3d installers. OBRX as far as i know is pretty much up to date. 

This will allow you to best judge by yourself. You can always get your money back if you don't like p3d.

I'd also suggest not to install or try to install anything on p3d, unless you have verified it works. I have found it is best to wait for the developer to update their installers than screwing around with files. 

The avsim community  is also very helpful.

Sincerely,

Edgar

Joe,

I just recently uninstalled my FSX, which was performing as you say excellent. The difference is best described by how smooth the sim runs vs FSX. 

I'd suggest if you have enough hd space on a separate drive. Install P3d there and give it a go. First check with all your add ons for p3d installers. OBRX as far as i know is pretty much up to date. 

This will allow you to best judge by yourself. You can always get your money back if you don't like p3d.

I'd also suggest not to install or try to install anything on p3d, unless you have verified it works. I have found it is best to wait for the developer to update their installers than screwing around with files. 

The avsim community  is also very helpful.

Sincerely,

Edgar

I  believe I will give it a try. I hope the 64bit comes by soon and the developers can update to p3d compatibility faster. Something I was noticing after researching is the much better frame management- definitely  a huge plus there. I have a massive amount of FSX add-ons which would love to use within P3D.

Couple things. I would anticipate that v4 will be 64 bit and v3 will stay 32. Also, I would guess that v4 would be out towards the end of 2017, but I could be totally wrong. P3D is smoother than FSX and has a fraction of the OOM issues. It also looks a lot better in most ways. Last, many of your FSX add-ons should work in P3D. Good luck and be glad that LM offers a 60 day return if the platform does not meet your needs.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Couple things. I would anticipate that v4 will be 64 bit and v3 will stay 32. Also, I would guess that v4 would be out towards the end of 2017, but I could be totally wrong. P3D is smoother than FSX and has a fraction of the OOM issues. It also looks a lot better in most ways. Last, many of your FSX add-ons should work in P3D. Good luck and be glad that LM offers a 60 day return if the platform does not meet your needs.

For those products which do not have (or will not have), a native p3D installer, is there any migration tool that will work to install FSX add-ons on P3D?

And, is Nvidia Inspector needed to use P3D- or to make it 'better.'

Lastly, what tweaks are a must on P3D ?

Just a word of caution: P3D is no longer 100% backwards compatible. Using older addons can result in a loss of FPS and general instability / frequent crashing. This is especially true for everything having external modules running with it that rely on SimConnect or certain backdoors to the sim or that are using sometimes undocumented "tricks and tweaks" that the sim had in its old incarnation but that are no longer there. As you can see on the forums, every new update to P3D even breaks compatibilty with the current addons like ASN or FSUIPC - imagine how that works out for the old stuff where sometimes devs aren't even around anymore.

You can install almost everything, even manually. That does not mean that it does work like it should or that it won't compromise your sim. And you are always running the risk that the next P3D update will again be a full reinstall - meaning that you will lose everything that you added to the sim in the "classic" way (dropped right into the sim folder).

LORBY-SI

And, is Nvidia Inspector needed to use P3D- or to make it 'better.'

Lastly, what tweaks are a must on P3D ?

Many people do not use Nvidia Inspector or implement tweaks. LM has done a good job in optimizing the platform and continue to find performance gains as they release point releases.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations