Sign in to follow this  
GoogleAndroid

Lag related to sounds playing

I'm having an issue with FSX Steam that is getting pretty annoying. At times, when the game loads and plays a sound file, it freezes for about 1 second. For example, when I am landing and the gear touch, the game freezes, then the sound plays, and then it is fine. Sometimes, the delay is enough that by the time it's done freezing, my nose wheel slams into the ground. It also happens when the FSX ATC speaks, and on missions when there are voices. However, it doesn't happen all the time, so I am not sure what to blame the issue on. Has anyone else had this problem, and did you ever solve it? 

I used to have this problem. I removed my sound blaster card used the onboard sound and the problem went away.

Intel I7 6700k @ 4ghz, nVidia 3070ti 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 @ 1066mhz,  500 ssd, 2tb hdd, 2tb ssd, ASUS z170-E mb, Samsung 24" @ 1920x1080, P3D 5.4, MSFS

I do not have a sound card. Maybe that's the issue? I'm thinking of moving FSX to my SSD to see if that resolves it, because if the hard drive can't load the sound fast enough, that would explain it. 

it should be able to play sounds without troubles from a normal harddrive that is not a particularly unusual configuration. you might want to investigate a few other possibilites before moving the installation.

1. are the drivers for your sound chipset up to date? if you are using built-in sound the motherboard manufacturer may have an updated driver

2. run the directx installer from microsoft and check that all that stuff is current

3. defrag the drive (this should not cause delays of multiple seconds but it can't hurt)

4.some of the pmdg planes have an option to pre-load the landing sounds which can remove that little hiccup that occurs there if you have the spare VAS. won't help with the mission/atc dialogue though

5. if your sound has multiple outputs (headphones or digital vs. analog outs) maybe try some of the other ones and see if it still occurs

cheers and good luck!

-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

it should be able to play sounds without troubles from a normal harddrive that is not a particularly unusual configuration. you might want to investigate a few other possibilites before moving the installation.

1. are the drivers for your sound chipset up to date? if you are using built-in sound the motherboard manufacturer may have an updated driver

2. run the directx installer from microsoft and check that all that stuff is current

3. defrag the drive (this should not cause delays of multiple seconds but it can't hurt)

4.some of the pmdg planes have an option to pre-load the landing sounds which can remove that little hiccup that occurs there if you have the spare VAS. won't help with the mission/atc dialogue though

5. if your sound has multiple outputs (headphones or digital vs. analog outs) maybe try some of the other ones and see if it still occurs

cheers and good luck!

-andy crosby

I ended up moving it to my SSD(thank you SteamMover!) and it solved the problem. After doing so, I went through your list, and my sound drivers were from August 2014, so I updated those. I also defragged the drive and made sure DirectX was current. I didn't even think of the sound drivers until you mentioned it. I will probably move it back to the hard drive to see if the issue is still there because a 56gb FSX install is not meant for a 120gb SSD...