Sign in to follow this  
macpilot

FSX and SSD Drive Performance

Last week I installed an 1TB SSD drive. I copied all of my files from the former Flight Sim drive to the SSD drive. Changed the drive letter of the SSD drive to "D" the drive letter of the original Flight Sim drive. Changed the former Flight Sim drive letter to "N".

I was expecting to see a big increase in both load time and performance with FSX. I don't see any significant increase in either.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

Bill

Deleted by author.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

You have seen a load time reduction, but nothing FPS wise. It's just a hard drive. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Last week I installed an 1TB SSD drive. I copied all of my files from the former Flight Sim drive to the SSD drive. Changed the drive letter of the SSD drive to "D" the drive letter of the original Flight Sim drive. Changed the former Flight Sim drive letter to "N".

I was expecting to see a big increase in both load time and performance with FSX. I don't see any significant increase in either.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

Bill

You should be seeing a significant decrease in load time, not an increase  :wink:

Bert

The O/S and the sim should be located on the SSD for best results, and make the old drive a backup drive. You should see the load time decrease, and the in-sim terrain loading may improve. However, files are cached by Windows and they run fast anyway, once already accessed. Splitting the sim over the two drives will reduce loading performance slightly.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Speaking of file caches, a large memory would help. What's not used by programs are used as disk read cache so things are basically accessing a fast RAM-disk on second access, as you might notice by restarting FSX.

I was looking for a faster load time. Not Frame rate increase. I have FSX, P3D V2 and XPlane 10 on the SSD drive. None seem to load faster. Is their any possibility that leaving the original  "D" drive in the system with drive letter "N". Could be causing a problem? As all of the original FS files are still on it. Could this cause a conflict?

Thanks to all.

Bill

I experienced the same: installed a new 512 GB SSD last week and don't see any significant increasing in loading times. It's just a bit faster, but not as a expected. May be I expected to much. OS and FSX are on the same SSD, on separate partitions. Old HDD is format and used for different purposes.

I was looking for a faster load time. Not Frame rate increase. I have FSX, P3D V2 and XPlane 10 on the SSD drive. None seem to load faster. Is their any possibility that leaving the original  "D" drive in the system with drive letter "N". Could be causing a problem? As all of the original FS files are still on it. Could this cause a conflict?

Thanks to all.

Bill

Are you sure you are starting up the copy on the SSD?

Copies on the N: drive should not matter..

You can probably hear if the N: drive is active.

Bert

Bert,

You may have hit on something. I went to each FSX P3D and XPlane folders on the "D" drive and pinned each EXE application to the Task Bar. It seems that the flight sim's loaded faster. In any case at least now I know they are running from the SSD drive.

Thanks.

Bill