Sign in to follow this  
hesynergy

What does the installation of the P3DV 3.1 scenery get me besides grief?

I have installed Prepar3dv3.1 client and content, though I must say it "feels" like it's a little… ummm...Laggy; would y'all vouchsafe me in saying that here on Avsim, We have yet to see a definitive answer to the question,

"What does the installation of the P3DV 3.1 scenery get me besides grief? "

Believe me I've done what I believe to be exhaustive, and complete searches, looking for specific info on this, I can't find specific comments on this topic from Rob or KMan or Matt Davies or any of the other esteemed old farts here on Avsim.... It would help if the dummies that designed the search algorithms or rules allowed us to include four letter searches, since that's what V3.1 is… Four characters....annnnnyhooooo...

While I would love to complete my v3.1 installation by including Install_Scenery.msi, I am a little skittish about doing that becauseI have tons of Orbx Scenery, et al, working fine in V3.0...finnnaly...and I am loath to have to re-install and reconfigure it all again.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I have installed Prepar3dv3.1 client and content, though I must say it "feels" like it's a little… ummm...Laggy; would y'all vouchsafe me in saying that here on Avsim, We have yet to see a definitive answer to the question,

Believe me I've done what I believe to be exhaustive, and complete searches, looking for specific info on this, I can't find specific comments on this topic from Rob or KMan or Matt Davies or any of the other esteemed old farts here on Avsim.... It would help if the dummies that designed the search algorithms or rules allowed us to include four letter searches, since that's what V3.1 is… Four characters....annnnnyhooooo...

While I would love to complete my v3.1 installation by including Install_Scenery.msi, I am a little skittish about doing that becauseI have tons of Orbx Scenery, et al, working fine in V3.0...finnnaly...and I am loath to have to re-install and reconfigure it all again.

Chas

Misread OP, disregard post. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

To answer the actual question :wink: I think it is not needed to install the Scenery part. The Client and Content should do the trick. Officially the Client should be enough but I've read Content also changes a few things (concerning the water). Anyway, since you installed the Client and Content already, you are done. No need to install Scenery and perhaps screw up your sim. If you experience some lag it certainly won't be fixed by installing Scenery... That lag could be placebo though, because you probably pay a lot more attention (=too much) to everything now. 

To quote from LM's site re: the Scenery Update;

"Prepard3D Scenery

General Updates

Minimal accuracy changes for five south-eastern United States of America airports

Updated coastlines, lakes, rivers and elevation model in Singapore"

So unless you do a lot of flying in/out of/ around Singapore, or in the Southeastern USA (around five mystery airports) then no, I would say installing the scenery module is not worth the "grief". I personally would like the updates to Singapore, but I do not consider that alone worth the grief of re-installing all my ORBX stuff, which I am sure will get overwritten by all the default scenery items again.

Which brings me to this; I cannot for the life of me understand why the whole simulator scenery package (the size of those downloads exceeds all else!) has to be supplied just to update the above small areas (well I can understand that for first-time purchasers, they need the whole scenery pack). But since these changes will involve replacing a few cvx tiles , AFCAD and DEM .bgls, surely a small, separate scenery update installer and .cab file/s for existing users would do the trick, and avoid replacing all the other scenery files for established users (i.e. those files that are not updates, and are unchanged from the previous version, so if installed again simply set all scenery back to the default state). Would also save a load on LM's servers!

Just my 2c on this.

Rob

Robin Harris

didn't LM advise us after the 3.0 release that future updates will require NO DELETING OF 3.0......thank god for Steam version of FSX and XP10.......P3D 3.1 and beyond looks like a horrible future for the sim.

didn't LM advise us after the 3.0 release that future updates will require NO DELETING OF 3.0......thank god for Steam version of FSX and XP10.......P3D 3.1 and beyond looks like a horrible future for the sim.

Deleting of 3.0 is not needed so what's your problem?

In many ways, this whole subject is "much ado about nothing". Personally, I did not update the scenery because none of the changes applied to me. Even so, in the past a full uninstall & reinstall is not a big deal. P3D will not delete 3rd party content, so any gauges, a/c etc you have installed will remain. The registry entries, if they were there remain. With a few exceptions there should be no need at all to reinstall aircraft.

Scenery is a little different in that many of the scenery providers copy over the existing files so when P3D writes them back, you may need a fresh install. I have not had a problem with ORBX, GEX or UTX - I just rerun the startup tool or FTX Central and all is well.

There are times when I WANT a complete install and will delete all the left over files and reinstall each item - now THAT can take a bit of time.

My point is, it's not necessary with a little preplanning.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Exaaaaakly what I needed to hear!

I 'preciate y'all!

Cheers and Happy New Year

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Chas

And I thought it was just me about the lag.  I installed the whole enchilada after it came out (conveniently when I refreshed my rig, so I needed everything), but after installing minimal 3rd party content I already had (that worked well with v3, btw), I found the lag.  FPS was lower, but oddly enough, if I changed my FPS to unlimited instead of the locked 35 I had before in v3, then my sim worked better...better, not stellar.  I'm still testing it on my rig to see where the issue may lie, but so far, I'm out of ideas as everything I have installed was how I had it before.  My settings are based on previous settings in v3.  I also found that I needed to bump up the settings for HDR because the textures seem mroe washed out than before in v3.

Unless there is a critical need to stay with v3.1, I may go back to v3 and leave it be as it worked better.

-Jim 

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Not pointing a finger but there has been some speculation that the new orbx objectflow module has affected the lag on some systems. I don't notice it at all but if you are using it, just disable it and test for yourself.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

That is interesting.  I saw a thread over at ORBX about the updated library release, which I did get and installed.  I really didn't think that module would have such widespread effects on  performance.  The only thing is, I am afraid to disable anything like that in fear of causing the sim to crash.  Here's my situation:  I have ORBX scenery installed for Scotland, England, Both Irelands and Wales.  On top of that, I have a few UK2000 sceneries installed.   As I said before, that very same setup was done through v3, and it all worked great, but now with v3.1 (and the updated ORBX modules) it's causing a drop in fps.  In fact, I forgot to mention that I got an OOM when I exited P3D, first one ever.  My settings are not that high, but high enough to enjoy a nice GA flight over the countryside.  I did a flight, at that time, from Glasgow to Belfast in a C182.  I realized something was nozzed up when I flew the approach to Belfast and all of the ground textures were blurry.  I landed, taxied and shut down the aircraft with no problem but when I exited P3D, I got the OOM error.

Maybe I'll delve into the ORBX forums to see if anyone happens to report any issues related to the objectflow module.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit