Sign in to follow this  
BrzI

How to use all 4GB of GPU memory

Just installed my new GTX 970. Did a few flights and noticed that video memory use did not exceed 1.5-1.6 GB.

What - if anything - can I do to use up all 4GB on my GPU ? (or as much of it as possible)...

Would there be a trade-off ?

Thanks

The GTX 970 only has 3.5 GB available to use, suggest you read this article, also check that the settings in main Nvidia control panel are set to prefer maximum performance under the 3d settings tab. i would not stress about your card not using 100% of the available ram either, the 970 is a great card and i doubt you would want to use all 3.5 allocated anyway because it will start to bottle neck and stutter, better to have reserve ram than none at all, also as you know FSX and P3d are more cpu intensive anyway. My 980TI does not use the 6 gig either if thats any consolation.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/199684-nvidia-slapped-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-gtx-970-memory-issues

tpewpb-6.png

Maybe I'm being stupid here but as FSX/P3D is a 32 bit program, surely it can only use 4 GB memory in total (VAS: that's graphics, RAM, virtual memory etc).

If it fills all 4 GB of graphics memory, then what's left for the stuff that goes in to regular RAM?

The exception would be 64 bit Xplane.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Maybe I'm being stupid here but as FSX/P3D is a 32 bit program, surely it can only use 4 GB memory in total (VAS: that's graphics, RAM, virtual memory etc).

If it fills all 4 GB of graphics memory, then what's left for the stuff that goes in to regular RAM?

The exception would be 64 but Xplane

The limitation of a 32 bit application of not being able to address more than 4 Gb of RAM has nothing to do with VRAM use. VRAM use can exceed 4 Gb. But why would someone want the GPU to use more VRAM than it is actually using? It uses as much as necessary...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Just installed my new GTX 970. Did a few flights and noticed that video memory use did not exceed 1.5-1.6 GB.

What - if anything - can I do to use up all 4GB on my GPU ? (or as much of it as possible)...

Would there be a trade-off ?

Thanks

Video memory (VM) use is mainly determined by the screen resolution you are running and is not necessarily related to how hard the video card is working.

If you connect up a 4K screen to your system you should see VM use get up to the 3.5GB you have available.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

OP, thanks for starting this thread, as I too have just bought a 970GTX GPU yesterday. Some good informative heads-up in this thread.

Let me rephrase the question :

Would tweaking any of these fsx.cfg parameters end up using more VRAM (thus improving texture rendering speed - eg PMDG 777 skeleton outisde view)

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=

TextureMaxLoad=

MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=

SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=

Thanks