Sign in to follow this  
CapnOz

Making the switch to P3D v3.1

I am about to make a major decision about the future of my FSim experience.

Been on FSX ever since It was released. I have every high quality major add-on and I THINK I want to make the switch.

Should I switch to 3.1 now, or wait ?

Thanks guys

Peter Osborn

Hi Peter,

3.1 now, no reason to wait.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes for many reasons. DX11 compliant. Off loads and uses the gpu for graphic intensive processes. Clears memory in pretty efficient manner so less ooms. Best to check the P3D site. Very happy I made the switch.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I upgraded, and conveniently at a time when I needed to refresh my rig.  After install, I fired it up and found that I flew for a while without doing anything to the cfg file yet.  I added what needed to be there but did find that fps were lower than before.  All of my settings in P3D and with the NCP are the same, so i am still testing to see if it is a settings issue still.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

You can run both from the same computer, so no reason to wait. Get 3.1 and get used to it, then install addons as they become available. Not every FSX addon can be made to work in P3D sadly. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

There are many discussions on this topic a god search will also help you.  At the end, it ultimately depends on what you are looking for.  I made the switch to P3D because I am looking for stable, performing platform that will deliver a good simming experience for me with the various scenery add-on and aircrafts.  FSX did not deliver on this for me, P3Dv2 did not either, but I think finally P3Dv3 did.  Be prepared to spend some extra moneys for your favorite aircraft models.  Most scenery add-on will work fine and are supported without extra charge to you.  With P3Dv3, there is no tweaks, just install fire it up and focus on flying, no more stuttering freezes and OOM.  You will also need good GPU to really make P3Dv3 shine.  Hardwares that are good for FSX will not be sufficient for P3Dv3.  This means more money, but for me the money that I already spent is finally now put to good use.  Good lucks.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Been on FSX ever since It was released.

It has been almost ten years since fsx was released. Do you still own much, other than maybe your mattress and luggage, that is older that your flight simulator platform? 

Time to let go of the past. :)

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

has been almost ten years since fsx was released. Do you still own much, other than maybe your mattress and luggage, that is older that your flight simulator platform?

Time to let go of the past. :)

Does the mattress  and  luggage   still serve  the same  purpose  than why change :Hmmmph:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I was a P3D nay sayer since forever! Emperor's new clothes and all that. P3D screenshots were greeted with "That don' look no better than mah FSX!" :P

Then, in one of those 'finger drumming' moments I went to the LM site and clicked on 'Buy Me'. Well, I had 60 days to throw it back to them eh?

A week later and I can assure you, this thing AIN'T going back! :aggressive:

FSX remains on my HDD only for online purposes. I'm not giving up the Saturday fly-ins

I'm on a venerable i7 920 o/c to 3.7Ghz and a GTX680 Superduper edition

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I switched to P3D v3 in October, and upgraded to 3.1 a few days ago.

I have found it very stable no annoying CTD so far. Running with decent scenery and AA settings I'm able to maintain around 19-22fps on the ground at add on airports and about 27-30fps whilst flying ( locked at 30 fps).

My system is a i5 3570k O/C to 4.4ghz. I am using a GTX 660 GPU. I could probably do with a better GPU as I get a real hit on performance if I switch the cockpit shadows on and I find they flicker, but not too bothered as I prefer to have no shimmering on my airports and scenery etc which my settings give me.

Most scenery addons I've managed to get installed and working. Make sure that you have a weather program such as ASN as P3D comes with NO way of downloading real world weather.