Sign in to follow this  
Steve Cannell

2 x GTX 970's in SLI - where to go from here, should I upgrade ?

I currently have 2 GTX 970's in SLI , on a i6700k @ 4.8.

Works very good with my 4k screen.

My question is for those that have upgraded from 970's to single  980ti or the Titan X.

What are your experiences, did you get any significant performance boost ?

Was it worth the upgrade cost ?

How would you compare them in terms of FPS. 

I have an interested buyer for my cards, however it's still a significant upgrade for me in cost $

Cheers

Steve

Are you really suggesting that one single GTX970 is not up to the job?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Well, that depends on whether you mean for fsx/p3d etc or for other games...

If for flight sims, being that they don't even support SLI to begin with, I'd say you go nowhere...

Unless you want to "downgrade" your SLI setup to a single better card...

Are you really suggesting that one single GTX970 is not up to the job?

:smile: 2 are just a little bit better. 

Yes, I'm interested in what I might gain going to a single better card like the 980 ti

I don't about fsx or p3d but this tells you want you need to know

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Thanks for the video Ron.

Based on that video an upgrade wouldn't be worth the extra cost.

970 sli is actually looking very good and his fps at 4k are around where mine are in P3dv3.

It does look like I should certainly wait for the next crop of hopeful GPU's.

Cheers

Wait until next year (June-ish) when the next gen Pascal Nvidia cards are released.  I also have 2 970s and will switch to a single high performance card at that time.  I'm done with SLI, too many support issues.  Not necessarily with Prepard3D but other software I run.

Wait until next year (June-ish) when the next gen Pascal Nvidia cards are released.  I also have 2 970s and will switch to a single high performance card at that time.  I'm done with SLI, too many support issues.  Not necessarily with Prepard3D but other software I run.

Reall? I was thinking about going SLI with another 970. What kind of games are you using...do you find P3D takes advantage of SLI well. Another thing, when the Pascal card are released will they require me to buy a new board, I have a Asus 170 PRO. 

Cheers!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

i have a GTX titan x and just bough a LG 34 inch 4k and it seem i can handle the fps , big drops at big airport an not smooth at all im thinking to go SLI right now

Two GTX 970's in SLI, with my setup a little smoother and about 5-9 fps better. I can apply up to 8x sgss with little if any affect on fps. Think I'll just stick with some NCP settings as 4k really eliminates the need for AA and SS settings in NVI. 

For a couple of weeks though I kinda went crazy with settings and tweeks, trying to figure out the cause of my FPS drop from 40 + to teens. Thought maybe one of these many tweaks or a scenery was the problem. Turns out it was a few nasty processes running in the background.  :Shame On You:

The addition of Simstarter to create costume settings profiles, tweaked for the style of flight, and it's jumpstart feature really saves me time and fuss.

Cheers