FYI -

I updated my GTX 970 GeForce driver yesterday to the ver: 361.43 released 12/21/2015 and FSX (boxed on Win 8.1 on a high end 4790K PC) won't start and the whole CPU freezes up on the splash screen.  I rolled back to ver: 359.06 released 12/01/2015 and all is back to normal.

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Sounds like a driver issue not a 970 problem.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I just bought a EVGA GTX970 today, am running FSX-SE, on a Win10 Pro using 353 drivers without a glitch. Maybe Nvidia's latest drivers are buggy?

My bad... clearly a driver issue.  I edited the Topic.

This is the first time since building this PC in July that I've had a driver issue with NVIDIA.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Same problem here.

Until now i NEVER had a driver issue for the last 7 years, and now the Nvidia 361.43 drivers freeze my Windows 7 computer with Nvidia Geforce 570 videocard completly!   Only a hard reset did help, and now after rolling back tot the previous 359.06 drivers everything seems to be ok again.

I found also several warnings about this in the Geforce forum :

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/906001/driver-version-361-43-and-flight-simulator-x/?offset=5

Thinking that I was quite comfortably smug that I had an Nvidia driver from Nvidia's website that was working flawlessly on my brand-new GTX970, as Sod's Law would have it, I suffered a graphics CTD caused by nvlddmkm error. But instead of getting the driver from Nvidia, I got it from EVGA as per Microsoft's advice on that error. And touch wood, so far all seems normal.

I have the same driver installed with ZERO issues running FSX, although it is FSX SE. Maybe that's the difference?

Great! Any way in Windows 10 to keep the driver from updating until all is clear?  And in case some have issues with new drivers and the 970, would you please each in your posts indicate which make and version 970 you have in use?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

No problems here with the 361.43's on an EVGA 970.

Great! Any way in Windows 10 to keep the driver from updating until all is clear?  And in case some have issues with new drivers and the 970, would you please each in your posts indicate which make and version 970 you have in use?

I always disconnect my computer from the 'net when I'm ready to install new drivers.  Keeps Windows (I'm on 7 64bit) from "thinking" me into trouble.

Greg

No problems here with the 361.43's on an EVGA 970.

I always disconnect my computer from the 'net when I'm ready to install new drivers.  Keeps Windows (I'm on 7 64bit) from "thinking" me into trouble.

Greg

Greg. Understand. Microsoft has created a different animal in Windows 10, and its total control of updates!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Greg. Understand. Microsoft has created a different animal in Windows 10, and its total control of updates!

Ugh! My wife came home with a Win 10 Surface Pro this week... and I'm the guy who gets to manage it.  So you're telling me I can't stop the OS from installing new drivers through Update?

Sorry for derailing the thread...  the 361.43's aren't any different for me than the umteen previous versions (over the past few years) of Nvidia drivers.  FSX Accel didn't get any better or worse after this driver install.

Greg

EVGA GTX970; Driver directly from EVGA:361.43, FSX-SE on Windows 10 Pro side-by-side with P3D v.2.5, and I control my Updates.

I just upgraded to Win10 a couple days ago. Went to update to the new 361.43 drivers via Nvidia's installer, and it failed repeatedly. Long story short, I had to do a clean manual install in safe mode to get the new drivers, and access to the Nvidia Control Panel back,. Thankfully the drivers were available on Nvidia's site. Read somewhere that soon the Nvidia GeForce Experience, and Win10 upgrade systems were going to soon be the only place to get updates. Had this been the case yesterday I truly would have been screwed.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Ha the same thing with the 361.43 driver.

FSX started and locked the complete pc.
It would also lock on other applications. Now running on 1 driver earlier and all is without issues.

I just upgraded to Win10 a couple days ago. Went to update to the new 361.43 drivers via Nvidia's installer, and it failed repeatedly. Long story short, I had to do a clean manual install in safe mode to get the new drivers, and access to the Nvidia Control Panel back,. Thankfully the drivers were available on Nvidia's site. Read somewhere that soon the Nvidia GeForce Experience, and Win10 upgrade systems were going to soon be the only place to get updates. Had this been the case yesterday I truly would have been screwed.

Not quite true as MS Windows 10 Forums themselves have stated when I had that error with the Nvidia-sourced driver that one cam go back to the DPU manufacturer's website and get the driver from there. Which is what I did, and the driver since then has been rock solid.