Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Which runway/taxiway textures?

I've been using REX TD for runway and taxiway textures for some time, but to get them focused those need to run in 4096 mode, while I'm running my sim in 1024 mode, which makes the textures blurry and unfocused.

I'm looking for runway and taxiway textures that are reasonably realistic and focused in 1024 mode, to use in P3Dv3.1

Anyone who could throw me some ideas?

Cheers!

Maarten

Great question! I'll be looking forward to the answer and researching on my own as well.

Happy New Year's

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I find the REX textures excellent at 1024. The Active Sky 2012 textures are fine too.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Would it not be helpful to know each of your equipment and settings?

Happy New Year everyone!

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

For a quick comparison:

Two textures, both in 4096 and 1024:

Zp1Rvh.jpg

rEAKDM.jpg

As you can see, even with 4096 textures, both textures on the left, are both out of focus and blurry, but in the 1024 textures on the right, there's even hardly any structure left and not counting the slight difference in darkness, both are even the same, the two different textures arent even recognizable as two different textures..

And if I see the examples in the REX tool and see what I get in the sim, I'm already not very impressed by the 4096 textures, to be honest.

The next is a 1024 example from Aerosoft Gardemoen and as you can see the textures are lot more in focus and a lot more realistic:

8ApKuv.jpg

I think the difference is pretty clear and this is the kind of textures is what I'm looking for.

Cheers!

Maarten

Vanilla pavement texture... Is not a very good example to show us runway lines ...runways that have cracks in them ....something that differentiates random pebbly...some Rex runway texture man-made numbers letters, taxi, runways, and weather made cracks.

Cheers,

Chas

A detail texture is what you need, have a look at this:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=runway_detail_texture_set_by_fsx_workshop.zip&Author=&CatID=

I use these resized to 256px along with REX4's "set 02 Concrete" and "set 08 Asphalt taxiway" and Zinertek's HD Airport graphics for the parking spot markings. (But REX4's are good too if you don't have Zinertek)

concrete_02.jpg

concrete_01.jpg

• Upvote 1

Vanilla pavement texture... Is not a very good example to show us runway lines ...runways that have cracks in them ....something that differentiates random pebbly...some Rex runway texture man-made numbers letters, taxi, runways, and weather made cracks.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, there are no lines and my question wasnt about lines, it's about textures not being in focus. I think that the difference in focus is very clear from the pictures shown, since this is exactly the difference I'm looking for. The top 2 pictures strain my eyes very uncomfortably, because my eyes are trying to focus on it, but cant, while the third pictures doesnt strain my eyes, because my eyes can focus on the detailing and that is exactly what I need to solve my problem.

I use these resized to 256px along with REX4's "set 02 Concrete" and "set 08 Asphalt taxiway" and Zinertek's HD Airport graphics for the parking spot markings. (But REX4's are good too if you don't have Zinertek)

I've downloaded the runway detail pack, took the taxiway detail files from Zinerteck and experimented a little in combination with REX textures and my runway textures are very crisp now and the taxiways a little less, but enough to let my eyes relax, so that was great advise, Jim.

Thanks for the help, guys! :)

Cheers!

Maarten

So going from 1024 to 256 resolution...improved your eyestrain???

I am really confused here.... But that's a daily occurrence until the bulb pops up above my head… I'm glad that solves your problem.

Chas

No, I'm still using 1024, but the detail textures Jim advised, make the REX textures much more crisp and detailed.

When you look in REX, at the Runway/Taxiway section, there are two tabs called Runway Detail and Taxiway detail. I copied the runway_detail.bmp and runway_detail02.bmp from the Avsim library download to the P3D texture folder, turned runway detail and taxiway detail off in REX, so they wont be overwritten and those two detail textures give the detail to the Asphalt Runway and Concrete Runway textures from REX.

And this is the result:

y8c0rU.jpg

What you see is the coloring and the cracks from the REX runway texture and the detailed structure from the download Jim posted. I never gave it much thought how the runway textures were build up, but as it turns out, those are layered and use coloring from one texture and structure from another.

Cheers!

Maarten

So going from 1024 to 256 resolution...improved your eyestrain???

The default P3D3 runway and taxiway detail textures are actually 128px so in that case 256px becomes "HD", lol.

A detail texture is what you need, have a look at this:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=runway_detail_texture_set_by_fsx_workshop.zip&Author=&CatID=

Jim,

Is Zinertek's HD Airport graphics compatible with Prepar3d V 3.1?

I do have REX Essential PLUS with Prepar3D.

Cheers,

Chas

I'm using it in P3D3 and haven't noticed any problems. I'm not sure if they updated their installer since I downloaded but IIRC I selected to install into P3D2 and then on the next screen it allows you to select a folder so I just directed it to the P3D3 folder instead. Not sure if you'd see the P3D2 option in the installer though if you didn't have P3D2 installed.