Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Weird graphical effect looking out of the window from v/c

Here's a short clip showing a weird graphical effect that I often see when flying at high altitude over water and panning around from inside the v/c looking out the left hand side window. It's seen in the lower left corner of the screen.

I've also noticed a similar weird effect again when looking out of the left hand side window and when parked at a gate where the textures of the jetway don't behave. Guess both these issues might be related.

I wonder if there's a cure...?

Richard Åsberg

I believe it is something to do with cloud shadows doing weird things at dusk.  I have seen other similar effects from down low as well.

Wanted to run a test with turning shadows off at dusk, but haven't gotten to it yet...

Ron

Yep, I guess you might be right about that. Will do some testing on my own.

However the similar issue seen when parked at a gate where the jetway behaves very funny when you move the view back and forth when looking out the cockpit window must be caused by something else.

Anyone knows what I'm talking about or do you want me to post a clip?

Richard Åsberg

zakly what are we looking for...the cursor?

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Nope, not the cursor.

A bit hard to describe using words but it's like you in certain angles get unrealistic straight lines/borders in the graphics when panning the view around.

Have another look at the clip and focus on the lower left corner and you should be able to see it.

Richard Åsberg

If  we need  to really  have  to look  than what  is the issue  than? stop looking  for  things or  you spend  most of  your time  tweaking  this  and  tweaking  that  never  ends 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I know what you mean and I do agree, better to spend your time flying rather than looking for small things all the time (and we all know there are quite a number of them and always been) but this specific issue isn't a minor thing, at least not to me. Maybe not as evident in the clip as it can be sometimes but when spending most of the time in the v/c this one really bothers me when you pan around and see this weird effect. For people not seeing the issue in the clip I've highlighted it in the below screenshot. Might also be easier for you to see if you watch the clip on YouTube in full screen mode, the clip is in 4K.

Weird%20effect%20from%20vc%20view%20high

Here's the other thing I've been talking about where jetway textures appear in a very weird way when you pan around from inside the v/c.

https://youtu.be/i5AVoikhrv0

Richard Åsberg

I doubt there's much that can be done about either issue. It's just like pullin yuor viewpoint back from the vc until you go theough the bulkheads get get a messy view. There are certain perspectives that don't lend well to panning. To ME, in the jetway example, the initial view looks distorted to start. It reminds me of a fisheye lens, the distortion is normal.

I'd play with your zoom settings as a starter.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

OK, well since I like my zoom level (I normally keep it at 40%) I'll stay with that and just learn to live with this issue. Not a big deal really, I'm already very used to it but thought it would still be interesting to ask about it if there maybe was some solution.

I will however try using different zoom levels just for testing and for the other issue when at high altitude maybe playing around a bit with the cloud shadows would be interesting.

Richard Åsberg

OK, well since I like my zoom level (I normally keep it at 40%) I'll stay with that and just learn to live with this issue. Not a big deal really, I'm already very used to it but thought it would still be interesting to ask about it if there maybe was some solution.

I will however try using different zoom levels just for testing and for the other issue when at high altitude maybe playing around a bit with the cloud shadows would be interesting.

I've had the same exact issue as you for the past 2 weeks. What video cards are you using? I'm also seeing shadow related issues that can be seen like my picture below. Notice the shadow as it extends away from the nose of the aircraft:Shadow.jpg

Sorry for the Ultrawide photo...actually...I'm not sorry. Helen Keller felling Charlie Chaplin's face. Anytime I feel myself start to get "whiney" on anything, I remember this photo.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Looks like shadows to being rendered at certain angles? I have that all the time when I look around with TrackIR: shadows that disappear or come into view when you look around. When it happens more or less in front of me they snap in and out of view in an instant but at the edges of my screen, so in the area's you won't see unless you look around, I see the shadows being rendered and the rendering follow the turning of my head, just like in your video.

Annoying as hell indeed and an immersion killer but I accepted it as a limitation of the graphics engine. I have always had this so it's not version or driver dependent. So don't be scared your system is going bad or anything. ;)

BTW I always fly low and slow and still have this. I always thought this was a limitation coming from the time you couldn't yet look around from a VC in a flight sim: somehow everything in front of you is being rendered well but change the view direction and you see things you weren't supposed to see in earlier times and there odd things will happen. The sim's main focus still is on what you see right in front of you: the rest is a limited bonus. That's what you get with an old graphics engine. ;)

Many thanks for your input and good to hear I'm not the only one being annoyed by this issue and I think the way you describe the issue is spot on!

I've had the same exact issue as you for the past 2 weeks. What video cards are you using? I'm also seeing shadow related issues that can be seen like my picture below. Notice the shadow as it extends away from the nose of the aircraft:Shadow.jpg

Sorry for the Ultrawide photo...actually...I'm not sorry. Helen Keller felling Charlie Chaplin's face. Anytime I feel myself start to get "whiney" on anything, I remember this photo.

I have a 980 Ti but as discussed above I don't think this is related to any particular graphics card model but more a limitation in the ancient game/graphics engine still used in P3D just as Jan van E suggests.

Richard Åsberg

Same here, and it didn't really bother me that much until I started experimenting with shaders that darken cloud shadows, at which point that small quirk becomes a major annoyance.

The problem is not so much lateral screen edges, but it is straight ahead when panning up or down with TrackIR. It's as though the cloud shadow rendering area was actually a rectangle that doesn't cover the entire screen but rather only two-thirds, with the top third left out as well as the far sides. So if looking dead ahead, in the distance there is a well defined horizontal line marking the end of shadow rendering, but if I look up that lines moves up and shadows are rendered much further ahead. Same in the lower corners when panning. It completely destroys immersion, especially when in an outside view.

I've tried playing with all the variables available but so far nothing. GTX 980ti, P3D V3.2, but I had that before with a different card and earlier P3D version I'm sure. I actually have not noticed any difference in rendering when changing the cloud shadow cast distance in settings (other than setting it to zero of course), and will have a look at the CASCADES and LOG_PARTITION variables, but not much hope...

I get strange shadows showing up in outside panning on the ground, but I've decided it shows up when I crank up shadow distances. I've run into several that seem to be unnatural small cloud shadows.

I just turn shadows down a bit and in goes away.

*It just occurred to me that this problem is a little more prominent since I have been following the new thread about adjusting shader files.  Same as vmounier

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's