Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

I76700k OC - ASUS 5 ways optimization or Old School BIOS digging?

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show how to OC z170 motherboards with 5WO by ASUS. Has anyone had a success with this software or doing OC old way via Bios is a still way to go?

Thanks

Its work very good but you need a very good CPU to get nice results.

But anyway Its the best atoumatic overclocking tool out there.

The Old school bios optimation is the way to go if you ar experianced , start with the 5way you get a good base to work with , there is some drawbacks like mem and bclk that the 5way not deal with

It dont test the best bclk strap contra mem strap for example .

I have playing with differnt setups, best so far is around bclk 120 for the mems.

I good sim base is 4.8ghz and 3600 to 3900 cl16 uncore 4.6.

After 4000mhz the memcontroller get very loaded, mostly the Skylake manage up to 4300mhz but not strong.

Keep in mind that Its only approx 10 % that get 4.8ghz or higher with 5way less then 1.4v vcore, if you ar unlucky to get a bad CPU the 5way have no mercy.

I have used it for over a year or more without any problems. Clocked my 5930k to 4.4 easily and safely.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I would say I am happy with my result. 4.7 ghz rock stable. Peaks at 50 degrees C. Could probably get a bit more out of it with more efficient cooling (air cooled). Impressed with the result using the 5-way method.

Edit: using a 6700k.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I'd agree with the rest of the lads. My Skylake system is still in boxes at the moment, so I may be being premature, but I'd say Asus auto overclocking has really come of age.

In regard to my old Ivy Bridge system, what put me off the auto overclocking was the fact that it would overclock too far. At the time, it occurred to me that Asus should introduce more control over the process.

The great news is that Asus have done just that with 5 way optimization. You can set a temperature limit, a frequency limit or a voltage limit. You can opt for all cores the same, or per core overcloking. In addition, you have control over the stress tests run. You can enable AVX and also increase the time the stress tests are run for.

Sounds perfect to me. If of course you're an enthusiast like Westman, with a great deal of expertise in regard to overcloking, then yes you will dive in and tweak manually, but for the rest of us 5 way optimisation is all we need I'd say. 

• Upvote 1

My ASUS/I7 system overclocked to 4.7GHz with a couple of clicks. I've never looked back and never had any trouble with the system.

I just bought the i76700k with the Asus 170 PRO board, does OCing make much a difference these days in P3D when the boost is 4.2 and? If I jack it up too 4.7 (have a Corsair 110 GTX Rad) make a huge difference?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I just bought the i76700k with the Asus 170 PRO board, does OCing make much a difference these days in P3D when the boost is 4.2 and? If I jack it up too 4.7 (have a Corsair 110 GTX Rad) make a huge difference?

Well that's 12% and given that overclocking is pretty much linear you would see a 12% increase in performance. Not a simple as that though, you may see an increase in smoothness. So at 27 frames per second you'd get 30.

Up to you to decide if you'd like that. Point is it's free performance though, and relatively easy to achieve.

Also... there's no point buying and installing a Corsair H110 if you aren't intending to overclock. There are numerous cheaper solutions on the market that can handle stock frequencies with ease. You have installed an expensive and very capable H110 though, so why not grab that free perfomance? :smile:

Late to the party as usual.  I tried the 5-way and it worked well however I was a little uncomfortable with two things: 1. It ran cpu voltage higher than I like pushing, it ran at or near 1.4v  2. it was a variable overclock like a turbo boost as opposed to a steady clock.  The 5-way did take my i7-6700k to 4.7ghz however.  I opted to just set 4.5Ghzs manually and constant and I do this with 1.28v  I may play with the 5-way again, not sure.  The other thing the 5-way does is run 1.31v steady even at low clock, I rather run my 1.28v.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Late to the party as usual.  I tried the 5-way and it worked well however I was a little uncomfortable with two things: 1. It ran cpu voltage higher than I like pushing, it ran at or near 1.4v  2. it was a variable overclock like a turbo boost as opposed to a steady clock.  The 5-way did take my i7-6700k to 4.7ghz however.  I opted to just set 4.5Ghzs manually and constant and I do this with 1.28v  I may play with the 5-way again, not sure.  The other thing the 5-way does is run 1.31v steady even at low clock, I rather run my 1.28v.

Hi Gary, you do know that if you don't like the CPU voltage, if it's too high for your tastes, that you can set a voltage limit. Set the voltage to the max you are comfortable with and the auto overclock won't go above.you can set a temp limit if you like as an alternative.

1.42 is I believe the max that Asus regard as safe. Intel say 1.45 I recall. Don't quote me.

It will be variable, as it's with adaptive voltage. Run something demanding and it'll clock to the max, potter around the desktop and it'll throttle back to save power.

It will be variable, as it's with adaptive voltage. Run something demanding and it'll clock to the max, potter around the desktop and it'll throttle back to save power.

Thanks Martin, I am  getting too old and too lazy  to fart around with this stuff.  PC tweaking was fun for me the first  8-years or so but now I find it mostly a bother.  I would not sleep at night at 1.4v, call me a wimp.

I tried the 5-way again after posting yesterday.  It gave me 4.5Ghzs at 1.41v.  That was after the second round, first round it gave 4.3Ghzs.  My sense is the bios is finicky on this board.  I uninstalled Ai3, reset optimal bios and manually tuned back to 4.5Ghzs at 1.28v

I should probably have reset the CMOS before tweaking but as I say, old and tired.  Taking the side off my case and pushing a button sounds like work. :>)

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

It gave me 4.5Ghzs at 1.41v.

That is high for 4.5. I'd expect 4.7 - 4.8 at that voltage.

Have you tried updating the BIOS? There are usually tweaks in this regard with each release. After all, Skylake is a very new platform.

Have you tried updating the BIOS? There are usually tweaks in this regard with each release. After all, Skylake is a very new platform.

I've read lots of problems with this board relating to memory errors. Then there is the whole Skylake bug thingy.  Yes most recent ASUS bios installed 1602, without looking.   If I do an F5-set optimum  bios settings, then save, reboot takes long.  Takes long to turn off out of the bios.  Then can take long to turn off out of Windows.  I boot into Windows a couple of times and then things seem good.  Use the Ai3 thing and same process all over again, slow to turn off from bios, then slow out of Windows, then seems ok.

When it was new (2-weeks ago), Ai3 tuned 4.7Ghz @ ~ 1.39v or so.  That is why yesterday it was weird when AI3 only tuned 4.3 then 4.5 and pumped the heck out of the volts.

Personally, I just do not feel good about software doing the overclocking for me.

You're right, if I was going to burn 1.4v it would be for 4.7ghz not 4.5. 

Regards,
Gary Andersen

Something weird going on there Gary.

Is it the latest Ai Suite from the Asus website? It's version 1.01.30. Don't rely on the outdated version on the disc that came with the board.

I always update all of the drivers, BIOS, everything, from the Asus support site.

Just found this...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/3tfojf/asus_z170ar_motherboard_do_not_update_bios_past/

Seems quite a few are indeed having issues. Some are going back to version 1101. Glad I opted for the Z170-A. Although having said that, it's not built yet so who knows.

Well...I see that my thread is pretty much alive :-)

Just a little bit update then. I tried to use ASUS 5WO, but with no luck. The software tried to find base clock, memory settings and many other aspects that I didn't want to change. I had a few BSODs even though AI Suite said that I passed the test.

Returned back to classic manual BIOS digging. 4.7 with 1.35v. easily passed both Realbench and AIDA64 1hours tests. The temperature has never gone higher than 61C with heavy overcast and ~300AI in Heathrow area. Very stable, even though H110 cooler is quite noisy thing.

Gary,

Just read this and do as they say. Very well written and easy to understand for non-technical guys like myself. Try to stay with 1.32 - 1.35 voltage for 4.6 - 4.7 with 0.02 safety margin.

http://rog.asus.com/454262015/overclocking/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/