Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[01JAN16] New Year... New Updates for the 777 product line!

Is there any FPS improvement that resulted from this VAS optimization?

Arslan Nouar

For me there is. I've just upgraded and tested at T5 EGLL with full scenery.

Used to be 3.2Gb VAS use at the start. Now its 2.9Gb.

The combination of this update and p3d 3.1 is dynamite.

Frames feel better (no science to back that up, just my impression) - however logically they would be better (certainly if you were nearing the VAS limit - the sim grinds in general at that point).

• Upvote 2

Thanks very much Michael for the feedback, would be interesting to see feedbacks of other platform users as well :)

Arslan Nouar

Arsian-

It will depend on a number of factors.  In THEORY you should see improved performance because the computer itself is less stressed by the process/memory load...  but if you are running a really impressive machine that was already performing well- you will see less gain than if you are running a weak machine that was struggling to keep up....

It will also vary a bit depending upon what else you have the sim doing...  etc etc.

This is just my way of saying "if it improves- then yes- that was precisely what we did for you- but if it doesn't... then... uh... we never intended it to...."  :hi:

• Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Its obviously true like you said its gonna depend on every computer, also yeah I agree less stress equals little gain which is always good.

Thanks very much and happy new year by the way! ;)

Arslan Nouar

A great new year gift.  Thank you and happy new year.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Robert,

Thank you so very much for this unexpected update of the already fantastic 777 product.

Let my shyly ask if this performance tweak is going to touch our beloved NGX too? Somebody had to ask it sooner or later, lol.

Not that it has performance problems but, you know, every step towards beter memory management is welcome.

Leo-

This was not a global product update to bring in lots of fixes- it was an update that we felt was worth pushing to customers because it so significantly enhanced the operation of the simulator.

I recognize that this is a stunning disappointment to you- and the fact that we won't halt our entire development process in order to satisfy your individual curiosities is hard to grapple with- but you are just going to have to trust me that we know what we are doing. 

As has been stated a number of times- our goal right now is the release of the 744- and chasing our tail for unconfirmed and poorly documented problems experienced by a user or possibly another isn't a wise investment of our time at the moment.  As we ALWAYS do- we keep an eye out for such things- and as we find problems we own them and we fix them. 

Again- I apologize profusely for not putting the entire developmental agenda on hold to chase phantoms in the dark- but I'm just sort of insensitive that way...

Thank you for your reply Rob,

I was asking because you typically included the change list to your update threads, which made me wonder if this time around if any additional changes were made in addition to the VAS decrease. I am of course very happy to read in your reply above that you have also included the taxi-cam. (I don't have access to my sim PC so I cannot see the change list myself in the ops center).

When I first encountered the VAS leak in P3D I of course submitted a tixket and updated that with any additional information I could provide. In addition to that and together with some of the users who were involved in identifying and documenting the previous VAS leak on the B777, I was able to confirm that I was not the only user suffering from guaranteed OOM's when selecting specific approaches. I have spent countless hours attempting to understand what may be causing this leak (as other users did for the previous leak).

I understand that you are running a business and that there is always going to be priorities and that you can't immediately devote time and resources to identifying and solving a potential issue when it is reported, however II don't quite understand why you would see this as a curiosity of mine?

I believe I have done everything I can to provide as much information on what I am experiencing on my end, and what some other users are experiencing on their end. I also have no problem waiting for a fix (however frustrating that may be when I see the dreaded OOM), because I know you have priorities and a process to identifying and solving potential issues, the result of which is your second to none products.

Ryan was very quick and replying to my initial ticket and of course said that the team would look into it, my only concern has been that I have yet to find out if you have been able to replicate what I and a few others are seeing on our systems.

Can I correctly assume that as long as a support ticket is open, that this is something you will eventually come around to look into? When time, resources etc. make that possible.

Rafal,

We do not plan to roll it backward into the NGX, as that already performs exceptionally well.

Thank you for your reply Rob,

Can I correctly assume that as long as a support ticket is open, that this is something you will eventually come around to look into? When time, resources etc. make that possible.

Leo-

Go back and read my reply to you- as I went back and changed it to be a bit less caustic and a bit more informative.  (Thank Kyle... his insistence...)

Keep in mind that we can take your feedback and run it through the debug process and watch what is happening in real time.  We aren't guessing when we tell you that we can/cannot duplicate something- we are giving feedback based upon real-time-data.

If we find a way to duplicate your results- we can dig further.  Until then, it remains open and we continue to collect data.  That is about all we can be expected to do.

In your case- I slapped at you fairly hard- probably a bit unfairly- because we are all working very hard to give the community at large something that took a tremendous amount of effort and work- and you appeared to leap right into my face to express your displeasure that your personal priority was not placed first.  As I said- Kyle asked me to rewrite my answer as he felt I was being unfair.  (For which I will probably fire him on Monday... we will see.  :Tounge: )

• Upvote 2

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Rafal,

We do not plan to roll it backward into the NGX, as that already performs exceptionally well.

Rob,

First of all, hats off to you and the PMDG team for an exceptional update. i am logging into my account to download now.

Question - In regards to the NGX, although the VAS footprint is already great, will you guys be updating the model in a similar way to allow better interaction with the Avatar? Thank you! 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Its awesome what you guys are doing for the Sim Community!

I'm so close to finally start moving to P3D V3 after seeing the developments there... and I'd almost bought the T7 at the special price for FSX owners when they came out with the P3D version- only to put it in the hangar till I made the move... 

Thanks team PMDG! And Happy New Year everyone!

-Jay

Thanks Pmdg for making an already fantastic product even better. Now off to test her on a few cargo runs!

Happy New Year to all of the team and looking forward to the new Queen.

THX for update ;-)
BTW I have latest P3D V3.1 and after installing new version of 777 I haven't taxicam buttons ;-(

THX for update ;-)

BTW I have latest P3D V3.1 and after installing new version of 777 I haven't taxicam buttons ;-(

I'm sure you know, but only the 300ER has the cam.

I have P3D v3.1 and installed the update over the top. I can't get the cam working. I suspect it's because I didn't do a removal of the earlier version?

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers