Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Looking for my first planes to get

I have just bought XP 10 and I want to get some good planes to use instead of the default ones which I don't think is good. In the first place I want a GA planes but others might be of interest later. I hould point out that I'm spoiled with A2A Realair and PMDG in FSX so I wan't the best for XPlane. First question is there some high quality free ware planes for XP or will I have to get pay ware ?

I have just bought XP 10 and I want to get some good planes to use instead of the default ones which I don't think is good. In the first place I want a GA planes but others might be of interest later. I hould point out that I'm spoiled with A2A Realair and PMDG in FSX so I wan't the best for XPlane. First question is there some high quality free ware planes for XP or will I have to get pay ware ?

You will find that same as FSX, the best and more complex aeroplanes are payware.

If you are looking at GA, have a look at the SMS DHC-2 Beaver, an absolute marvel, full engine management, great STOL performance, comes with amphibian and cargo versions as well.

If you want something not so vintage, the Airfoil Labs Cessna 172 is worth looking at, and also the Carenado C210 Centurion or Beech F33 as you can add an REP package to them (think of AccuSim) and give them full engine management, failures, wear and tear, etc.

The regional Turboprops are well represented, the SF340, the AN24, JS32, E175 are wonderful machines.

Have a look at some YouTube videos on them, see which fits your needs.

Just go head first into quality payware and buy the Leading Edge Simulations Saab 340 - there's a gold star review on the avsim home page

It will remind you of the pmdg jetstream but better

Otherwise the Carenado GA offerings are quite good in XP10, unlike FSX versions

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you are looking for really realistic GA plane, I would reommend either Carenado C210 or Carenado Bonanza F33. Both have Reality Expansion Packs available that make those two aircraft ultra realistic, from the flightmodel to pilot induced failures. 

DHC-2 Beaver SouldMadeSim also deserves recognition. 

And if you like some "oldies but goldies" - AN-2 from RedEyes is a real treat.

As others said - if you are into regional turboprops, Saab 340A is just marvelous in every detail.

Just to name the few I own and am very pleased with :)

Like Russian aircraft ?

Get IL-14 from here

And please make sure you visit XPFR for great freeware aircraft and scenery...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Payware is probably the way to go. Since you mention GA and A2A, my vote would be Simcoders/Carenado with the REP engine (similar to Accusim). If a 172 is something you enjoy flying, look at airfoillabs-C172SP.

I second the recommendation for Airfoil's C172, it's a great aircraft and reminds me a lot of Realair (Which I miss from FSX/P3D). I hope to see more from this company who just seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Get IL-14 from here

Sorry for hijiacking the topic here, but is IL-14 working properly for you? I've downloaded it from various sources and can't get any avionics to actually show. My whole panel is lacking of any dials. 

Not mentioned yet: Leading Edge Simulation's MU2.

We didn't make the MU2.  That was Tom Kyler at X-Scenery, who is now working on the IXEG 737.  We both sell under the same store, though.

Sorry for hijiacking the topic here, but is IL-14 working properly for you? I've downloaded it from various sources and can't get any avionics to actually show. My whole panel is lacking of any dials. 

Hmmm, I don't even have the installer anymore Lena., Will try to check it and will report back.

EDIT:  Just got the installer from here, selecting the "HTTP EU Direct" blue tinted link, ahead of  "Download file:".

Will try it home and report back...

REPORT: It doesn't work :-/   Probably a script version incompatibility... Will check and try to find any fix...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Found something worth the try to make the IL-14 work on recent XP10 64 bit versions... ... will test it ASAP...

http://asn-xp.aerosoft.com/?page_id=7897

Main Simulation Rig:

Unfortunately the links in the post above didn't help... :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

If you are looking at GA, have a look at the SMS DHC-2 Beaver, an absolute marvel, full engine management, great STOL performance, comes with amphibian and cargo versions as well.

If you want something not so vintage, the Airfoil Labs Cessna 172 is worth looking at, and also the Carenado C210 Centurion or Beech F33 as you can add an REP package to them (think of AccuSim) and give them full engine management, failures, wear and tear, etc.

It seem to me that the Airfoil Labs C172 and the SMS DHC-2 Beaver are the best GA planes available for XP and if I want top quality GA I need one or both of them.

Otherwise the Carenado GA offerings are quite good in XP10, unlike FSX versions

How and why can the same plane be better in X-plane compared to FSX ?