Hello,

I currently am running a A6-3670K APU with a Radeon 4850 HD GPU. I know that both of these components are outdated. I have many addons such as FTX Global, ASN, Aerosoft Airbus, PMDG 737, REX, and various airports. I am getting about 10 fps sitting on the ground at FSDreamTeam DFW. I am looking to upgrade my processor to an I5 and my GPU to a current card. What is the best value I5 that would run FSX smoothly? I don't need 80 fps, just trying to get it up to about 25-30. Thanks!

You want an i5 6600k and a GTX970 ideally.  Don't forget you'll also need a suitable mobo and ram

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

What are the benefits of going with the 6th gen vs 4gen?

For me, faster DDR4 ram is a big one, another big one would be the higher number of Instructions Per Clock cycle which equates to higher framerates/smoothness in most cases. There are more benefits to the Z170/6th gen motherboards, but those are just 2 big things for me. (I'm still on a 2500k but I'm looking into a 6600k or 6700k)

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Definitely a 6600k or 6700k. Go for 980ti if you can afford it, if not a 970 gtx will do nicely. Don't mess with older gen parts, this pc world we live in moves fast. The Z170 chipset affords many benefits, DDR4, more PCI express lanes, etc.

Quite a few individuals have built 6700k rigs now on Avsim, all have been delighted.

If you couple that with a GTX 980TI or as close to that as you can get, you too will be delighted.

• Upvote 1

... considering the price factor and if it's only for FSX or Prepa3D, any reason to go with the 6700K over the 6600k ?

Cheers

Yair   

6600K = No hyper threading, 3.5GHz, turbo 3.9.

6700K = Hyper threading, 4.0GHz, Turbo 4.2GHz.

Your choice. Depends if you use FSX or P3D and how much either makes use of HT if at all. And whether you'd like another 300MHz. And I believe the 6700K overclocks a bit higher.

hello Martin and tnx for your response

.. I googled the HT and it's impact on FSX, found nothing inclusive opinions are varies so the importance of the initial core speed and how fare you can push the CPU, Ghz to $$ value

Cheers

Yair

For FSX HT won't make any difference, although some claim that under certain circumstances there is a slight benefit. I'm not sure about P3D. One thing HT will do is increase CPU temp bay about 10 degrees, so a consideration when overclocking. Usually higher overclock is feasible without HT.

.. was reading about the PD3 ..... nothing useful for a common user that is not a tech savvy, and all he wants is to fly a sim, "yes HT no HT", I'm upgrading my Rig every 4 years, the extra $$ on the I7 make it the preferable choice

anyway Martin thx u so much for the tips