Hi guys,

Getting back into simming after a lengthy layoff.  I last used FS2004, and never moved to FSX.

I've decided now I want to move to P3D and I'm ready to build a new rig, but feel totally baffled by process.

I went to best local PC shop and spoke to a guy who put a system together for me (based on what I know about P3D performance on CPUs/GPUs, which isn't much).

He came up with a i7 5820k and a GTX 970. 

Motherboard is an MSI x99A SLI.  Samsung EVO SSD, 8gb DDR4 3000mhz memory. 

I guess I can always upgrade the GPU, but I don't want to make a mistake on the CPU.  I wasn't willing to spend enough for a 5960X, but I might be willing to go to a 6700k.

So I guess my question is should I stick with the 5820k or go with the 6700k?  Or something else, comparable price?

Thanks for any advice (this stuff is doing my head in)

- Daniel

Hi guys,

Getting back into simming after a lengthy layoff.  I last used FS2004, and never moved to FSX.

I've decided now I want to move to P3D and I'm ready to build a new rig, but feel totally baffled by process.

I went to best local PC shop and spoke to a guy who put a system together for me (based on what I know about P3D performance on CPUs/GPUs, which isn't much).

He came up with a i7 5820k and a GTX 970. 

Motherboard is an MSI x99A SLI.  Samsung EVO SSD, 8gb DDR4 3000mhz memory. 

I guess I can always upgrade the GPU, but I don't want to make a mistake on the CPU.  I wasn't willing to spend enough for a 5960X, but I might be willing to go to a 6700k.

So I guess my question is should I stick with the 5820k or go with the 6700k?  Or something else, comparable price?

Thanks for any advice (this stuff is doing my head in)

- Daniel

IMO you should go for the latest 6700K if its not in stock hold on for a bit...and do not pay more than $380 for it. and appropriate MB and Memory (fast DDR 4)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132640

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231921

If you plan to over clock, a good water cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181094

For the Video card Either the GTX 970 or wait for the new upcoming nvida car ( at least 8 months out...so may want the latest CPU then)

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Thanks Manny.  I'm definitely going to overclock - the build includes a H100i water cooler (should have said that).

I heard you can easily over clock the 5820K to 4.4Mhz and others have it stable at 4.8Mhz

I'd imagine you can do the same for the 6700k?

- Daniel

I'd imagine you can do the same for the 6700k?

4.6Ghz for the 6700 is to be expected... some have gone up to 5.2Ghz. realistically we should not expect more than 4.8Ghz max (unless you are an OC expert)

Here is some additional infor of comparison of the CPUs

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Interesting, thanks. Some mixed results there, I guess?  Don't really know how to assess that properly...

So - is there no real advantage in P3d to having 6 cores over 4 cores?  Any benefit when you're running Active Sky Next, FS Captain, etc. while running P3D?