Sign in to follow this  
abasa12

Stars at Night

Simmers and support staff,

I recently purchased Prepar3D v3, and having flown around with it in the NGX and a few other add-on aircraft, I have to say I'm extremely loving it! There's only one thing that's been a slight bother, and this is the stars in the sim. I have HDR lighting enabled, and while my lighting config works pretty well during the day and alright enough at night, I find the stars to be way, way too bright. Reduced visibility in ASN helps this, but only to a certain extent. They're still even brighter than the moon, quite unrealistically so especially when on the ground at airports for which the stars are usually completely invisible or barely so. In addition, and I'm not sure if this is a problem I exclusively have, but the stars start appearing before night truly begins/ends. It looks rather odd at sunset or sunrise when the sky is still speckled with these stars.

Thank you all very much for any and all help with this, it really is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Derek

I think it comes down to fine tuning your HDR settings to your own personal taste Derek. For me to get it properly dark at night so far means it's not bright enough during the day etc etc. I would like to see presets in the HDR settings.

Regarding the actual stars, I use AutoStar X (which is free as well) to populate the sky with correct placement and brightness of the stars for our area and season.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I think it comes down to fine tuning your HDR settings to your own personal taste Derek. For me to get it properly dark at night so far means it's not bright enough during the day etc etc. I would like to see presets in the HDR settings.

Regarding the actual stars, I use AutoStar X (which is free as well) to populate the sky with correct placement and brightness of the stars for our area and season.

Thanks Dave, quite good to know. Thanks!

there is a dedicated starts config file!

you can also modify or rebuild it with your own updated starts map

there is a dedicated starts config file!

you can also modify or rebuild it with your own updated starts map

Thanks! Is that the stars.dat file? Was wondering how to decrease brightness within, but I wasn't sure. 

yes it is,

you can download the latest data file from NASA and rebuild your own custom constellations;

the brightness is controlled within the db file as part of the constellations settings,

be advised though; there are allot more constellations data now available since MS compiled their original set,

i did a recent build which turned out magnificent; but its allot of data to process; it also slows down sim significantly,

to increase the stars brightness externally try to look into particles settings

or edit existing starts.dat color settings (open with any text editor)

The AutoStar X program will do that for you based on your location and current date. Makes it super easy.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

to increase the stars brightness externally try to look into particles settings

or edit existing starts.dat color settings (open with any text editor)

Good to know - thanks!

The AutoStar X program will do that for you based on your location and current date. Makes it super easy.

Thanks Dave! Good to know - I'll look into that.