Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[02JAN16] COEXISTENCE FAILURE - Update 2

Captains,

At about 0900Z/02JAN, we replaced the FSX installers for the PMDG 777-200LR/F and the PMDG 777-300ER.

We swapped new installers in an effort to eliminate some false-positives being thrown by the installer's registry error check process.

What we are dealing with is that there is a condition in which FSX-SE users might have only FSX-SE installed on their machine, yet their registry shows installation data for both FSX-Retail and FSX-SE, and this data points to the same physical location on the drive.  This should be a major-no-no but was done intentionally by the Dovetail Team in order to simplify customer installations, I would presume.

This method worked marvelously for their goals, but since it makes a total, unmitigated mess of the registry for folks like us who support their platform- we are going through some teething as we try to bring you more robust tools that are able to accurately decode problem installations from valid installations.  Our hope is that by automating this process and refusing to install into circumstances where we know from experience that our product will not behave properly- we can reduce the amount of time FSX-SE users spend seeking solutions to installation problems.

Unfortunately- we underestimated a specific condition that should be quite rare, because DTG decided to make it a base-case...  So we are changing the detection logic in order to make it accept circumstances that just really shouldn't exist.

(If you are sensing that my sense of humor is somewhat flat- you are correct.  I don't like having our time wasted by the poor choices of others...)

I anticipate that we are probably going to update these installers a few more times over the next day or so until we find a good balance between allowing botched installations that we know will create support problems, and flagging the installation as impossible so that the user knows to fix the problems before proceeding.

This latest installer should get rid of the vast majority of false positives- but a few of you might still hit knee-knockers that we have to adjust for...

If you have been having problems with a "COEXISTENCE ERROR" being thrown by the FSX installers- please pull new copies and try again.  Report back and let us know if the problem sorted out for you- or if you still have trouble.

It is worth noting that we have made a few changes to the support tool function in the Operations Center.  You can check the support.txt file that it creates and get a good accurate readout on your registry entries...

Stay tuned, we will have more information for you as we develop the solution...

• Upvote 4

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

The new installer has solved the problem for me. Thanks very much for both the 777 update and the prompt response to the installation issue. Happy New Year indeed!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Thanks very much for the memory-reducing update! Sorry you are running into difficulties w/ the

Steam method of configuring the registry.

One thing that occurs to me is that in a single install, the installation could detect which

version is installed by looking at the files in the FSX top level folder, assuming both registry

entries point to the same location. I notice there is a file in my top level Steam folder

called FSXSEConfig.exe which is not in the top level of FSX Box. Most likely this file appears

in a single install of Steam.

I have a dual install and have run into no problems. You mentioned somewhere a missing flashing

light texture but my aircraft (an addon repaint) appears to be have normal working beacons and

strobes. Do people who downloaded the first installer released yesterday and are not experienc-

ing any problems need to reinstall using a newer installation file?

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I never had a chance to download the original installer, just this new updated one, and the installer ran perfectly fine! I just use standalone FSX:SE.

Thats strange. I have both legacy FSX and FSX-SE installed on the same drive on my computer.

I already had PMDG removed from FSX legacy and had it installed only for FSX-SE.

For this update last night, I was able to remove PMDG from FSX-SE and re-install it back into FSX-SE only without any issues.

Bilal Asif Khan

If we already have the 777 and it's working fine, do we need to download and install this update?

If we already have the 777 and it's working fine, do we need to download and install this update?

Did you read the update information in the other thread?

Kyle Rodgers

Did you read the update information in the other thread?

I have just now. I had a lot of problems getting onto the forum this morning and couldn't even see some threads, of which that was one. It simply didn't show up in the list of threads. I'm guessing my problems are due to the sheer number of people accessing this particular part of the AVSIM forum at this time. But I just read it, so thanks. With that, I have a quick question. This coexistence problem - does it only affect owners of FSX:SE? I do not have that version of FSX, I own the retail version.

Robert, tell your guys to keep their chin up. One of these days you're going to release a big update and there'll be zero requests for help fixing problems because there won't be any problems. I know it's unlikely, but a computer nerd can dream, right? :)

Sorry to report I'm still getting the 'coexistence failure' message using the latest 777 installer. I had FSX/FSX:SE side by side for a while, but removed FSX some months ago. I do have success with an older version installer, which I reinstalled and the 777-200 worked as it should. I then again uninstalled through CP and tried installing the latest version...no joy.

Old FSX folder deleted.

Ran two reg cleaners.

Deleted all the old PMDG related folders as suggested in other thread.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the update...here's hoping I can make use of it! 

Greg Gott

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Any news of the installer? I'm not feeling safe to download the new one while some people still reporting issues with the installation detection method. I love so much the product!

Sorry my bad english.

Greeting from Brazil!

Murillo Gumiero

Any news of the installer? I'm not feeling safe to download the new one while some people still reporting issues with the installation detection method. I love so much the product!

Sorry my bad english.

Greeting from Brazil!

Murillo Gumiero

Murillo, please give the latest installer and give it a try. One report of a problem out of thousands of downloads is not reason for concern.

Dan Downs KCRP

Murillo, please give the latest installer and give it a try. One report of a problem out of thousands of downloads is not reason for concern.

I will download it right now, the product already runs great and I'm crazy to fly it with even greater smoothness. Looks like the main problem is with customers using FSX:SE, as long as I only use FSX Retail should not have any issues.

Thanks Dan!

Sorry my bad english again  :Tounge:

Well, I maintain that the old installer has no problem locating, verifying, and installing without being fooled by my system's registry. So I'll just carry on flying the older version which rarely gave me trouble anyway.

Is it possible my system is the only one on the planet tricking the new installer? :wink: 

Perhaps a support ticket submission is in order...<shrug>

Greg Gott  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Somewhere Robert Randazzo mentioned a bad flashing texture that was included in the first release

of version 7025. I can't find this mention anymore.

I noticed that the red beacon causes a bright red reflection on the engines. It isn't just a reflec-

tion - the inside facing engine covers turn red. Although I did not have any installation problem,

this problem was fixed by downloading the most recent installer, dated 1-2-16, 2:37 AM.

So it seems to me that everyone may need this newest installer.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2