Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger & Saitek X52 Pro

Upgraded my system to ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 with Skylake 6700K & GTX 970.

When I try to install the X52 pro, the installer hangs. Physically the system seems to have recognized the controller.  However, I have to force shut down the installer.  Strange things happen thereafter.  I am not able to connect to the internet anymore and sometime the mouse is jerky and at times not recognised at all.  At times the system is not able to connect to the internet too.

Furthermore, the system does not shutdown but is stuck indefinitely at the windows "shutting down" screen.  On restart the system is again stuck at the screen with the windows logo.  However, when I disconnect the X52 pro controller, the system shuts down and starts up normally.

Tried finding a solution and most of the folks with similar problems have suggested that the xHCI needs to be set to disabled.  However the only option that Maximus VIII Ranger offers is the "xHCI hand off" to be set either to enabled or disabled.  Mine is set to disabled.  But this is not helping me.

Has anyone been able to resolve this problem?

Regards

Teddy

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Okay.  I found the solution.

With the Asus Maximus VIII Ranger and Hero series, there is no option to disable the xHCI as it is an integral part of the circuitry.  It is probably the reason why the USB 2.0 is not really a generic USB 2.0 and is more like the USB 3.0 with lower data transfer speeds.  It depends on the legacy option in the UEFA to be enabled or disabled to make it compatible with older hardware.  However, this is not what the Saitek X52 Pro Controller is happy with and therefore does not work with the USB 2.0 of this mobo.

The option is to use the ASMedia 3.1 USB connector.  The ranger has 1 connection at the rear.  It is a red USB connection.  Please read the user manual of the mobo to identify this USB port.  Using the ASMedia USB port solved my problem.  But note that if you have already plugged in the controller in one of the USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports at least once, the controller gets committed to that port and does not allow the  system to install the  driver if the USB port is changed.  Happened to me but might not be true for all.  Cleaning of all Saitek software and the registry did not help as well.  The only way I could get it rolling was to reinstall windows.

Safe Skies & Happy 2016

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

I guess you could also fit an aftermarket PCI USB card, thus bypassing the boards USB's.