Sign in to follow this  
BK

Moving complete FSX installation from old to new computer

Hi,

Just recently purchased a new computer, i7 , SSD and all the goodies.

In my old machine I have a 112GB of FSX "material" and I wonder if there is a way to "transfer" all of this to the new computer without too much hassle.

I have experimented with this quite a bit by now (just moved the whole thing into the new computer via network in a copy-paste manner) but since then only troubles of different kind are showing up.

So, before I go the long way any suggestions that may help?

Is creating an image (ACRONIS for example) and spilling everything back into the new one, will do the trick?

Thanks

Benny

No, no and.. No!

Programs will typically install files in different places, and also registry entry values which you may not be aware of...

Additionally making an image will not cover this, and even if it did you'd be transfering over also items that are for different hardware/compinents into the new system, causing all sorts of trouble...

Your best best is to just reinstall from scratch, or else just be left wondering (and God help you) when something does not work, just why that is...

You can image, it's something we do all the time where I work. It shouldn't cause too many problems. Do not just copy and paste directories though, this will not work.

The best thing to do is to reinstall from scratch though I'm afraid.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I am wondering why this would not work.I have copied entire fsx to outside drive.How about doing fresh reinstall of fsx base then copying/overwriting my entire backupbackup to new install?Just curious.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I am wondering why this would not work.I have copied entire fsx to outside drive.How about doing fresh reinstall of fsx base then copying/overwriting my entire backupbackup to new install?Just curious.Ron

That should work up to a point but you will probably still have to reinstall any payware addons.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."