Sign in to follow this  
JonRD463

Reinstalled X-Plane on Linux. Working addons?

I don't understand why Linux users can't just boot windows separately and use it purely for simming purposes. Apparently, it's pretty easy from what I understand.

And if they don't want to, simply because they refuse to use windows ever again, I would think they could easily sympathize with any developer who decides not to tinker with code to make it work with Linux.

Entitlement can be a silly thing, especially in regards to developers, who invest so much time that's almost never worth it from the financial perspective. 

Don't think of simming market as your local clothing boutique, it's not. And you don't have to be treated like you are in one. 

As for actual topic at hand, I assume you are mostly interested in heavy airliners. FlightFactor makes pretty good Boeings, and their latest 767 is actually really good. It should work on Linux without any hiccups.

I don't understand why Linux users can't just boot windows separately and use it purely for simming purposes. Apparently, it's pretty easy from what I understand.

And if they don't want to, simply because they refuse to use windows ever again, I would think they could easily sympathize with any developer who decides not to tinker with code to make it work with Linux.

Entitlement can be a silly thing, especially in regards to developers, who invest so much time that's almost never worth it from the financial perspective. 

Don't think of simming market as your local clothing boutique, it's not. And you don't have to be treated like you are in one. 

As for actual topic at hand, I assume you are mostly interested in heavy airliners. FlightFactor makes pretty good Boeings, and their latest 767 is actually really good. It should work on Linux without any hiccups.

Morrigan,

I don't own any non-deprecated Windows version, and won't buy it in forseable future. Before even considering the ethical arguments: you can't say the price is negligible. But most importantly : I do some developement, and rebooting my system more than 20 times a day is not an option.

It seems that whenever someone asks questions about Linux support in X-Plane's world, it ends in accusations of "entitlement". The joke is a bit dated.

I have actually very few gripes against X-Aviation for not supporting Linux. That's their choice.

But some of the representatives feel entitled to meticulously undermine any discussion on the Linux subject.

That's very annoying.

I don't get why they still feel the need to shoot down the minority they left behind anyway.

JonRD463,

The SSG B747-800, and the World Traffic plugin now work on Linux.

Congrats for your patience in this thread.

Pascal

• Upvote 3

Actually, if I decide to pass by to buy something from you, I do expect to be treated like that. A shop is a shop, even if it is on the web.

Never mind if there are incompatibilities in this, both sides (customer and seller) should treat each other with respect.

Those basic rules exist in any relationship, especially online.

I can understand someone does not want to invest his time in developing for Linux, it does not change the fact I still expect to be treated as a potential customer (in case I choose to dual boot after all ?).

As Ben Sputnick said once, there is only a small Linux user base, but those 3% contribute a lot to the community, that is why Laminar keeps supporting it.

Look at it this way, in X-plane you have this choice, where is the choice in FSX - P3D ? As many others, I switched to X-plane, just because it does run on Linux.

• Upvote 2

As Ben Sputnick said once, there is only a small Linux user base, but those 3% contribute a lot to the community, that is why Laminar keeps supporting it.

One of them being me ... for about 7-8 years, I have done all my development and flying on Linux. Started with high re forests for XP8 (when there where no forests at all, just the code in the sim to make them possible), then forests in XP9 (improving the low res default forests), then came the big thing of doing a big part Laminars scenery development for XP10 (the default Global Scenery - since then Ben knew, that not supporting Linux might be a bad idea :wink: ) .... and "finally" continued spinning the latter into HD and UHD Mesh derivatives :smile: ...

Of course, the scenery part is usually much simpler to be cross platform, as its most of the time "just" gigatons of data ... but one which is identical on all platforms. The real problems - when its about cross platform - come with plug-ins (which I never needed to worry about) ... and there I can indeed understand, if some developers (especially when they have complex plug-ins) shy away for supporting all platforms. Thats their decision and I fully respect it. Even if I would sometimes be happy to see a plug-in (and thus maybe an aircraft) work on Linux, its not one of my big concerns (but thats really only me, and the way I use X-Plane ... so everybodys mileage might vary).

Look at it this way, in X-plane you have this choice, where is the choice in FSX - P3D ? As many others, I switched to X-plane, just because it does run on Linux.

That was one of the main reasons for me to join the X-Plane world to ... I came aboard the moment when Laminar made X-Plane 8 run on Linux.

And one last thought on Linux. Yes, its - still - not the big market. But especially with Steam pushing this platform big time (because they want to be less Microsoft dependent with their Linux StreamOS, and Steam Machines) and porting hundreds of games to SteamOS (--> Linux) it might happen, that the Linux user base might grow (because of the ease of use with SteamOS, the entry barriers might become much lower ... and yes, I have read, that even some hardcore gamers are at least thinking about potentially living without Microsoft one day).

• Upvote 3

It seems that whenever someone asks questions about Linux support in X-Plane's world, it ends in accusations of "entitlement". The joke is a bit dated.

though you have to admit it always starts after the comments come "its only 3 lines code change" or "its similar to mac os x why don't you do it". It is a two way road and to be fair most of the time the discussion is civilized until a certain hardcore party arrives that think not supporting linux is killing the pure idea of a cross plattfrom flightsim.

The discussion should end when the developer says "we don't do it" but it never does and then the whole thing goes down hill from there

And one last thought on Linux. Yes, its - still - not the big market. But especially with Steam pushing this platform big time (because they want to be less Microsoft dependent with their Linux StreamOS, and Steam Machines) and porting hundreds of games to SteamOS (--> Linux) it might happen, that the Linux user base might grow (because of the ease of use with SteamOS, the entry barriers might become much lower ... and yes, I have read, that even some hardcore gamers are at least thinking about potentially living without Microsoft one day).

personally i see x-plane mobile more to fit that role as it can be played with a controller and fits more on the TV.

The question will always be though if Steam moves ahead with their OS and more and more customizes it towards gaming, that other distros will become incompatible we have the same position as with windows. Steam is very interested in data gathering and their track record in security isnt the greatest :D

Interesting thoughts, Andras, but not something I believe will become mainstream. Simply put, SteamOS is meant for Steam gaming. It is not a replacement for a PC, and many flight simmers are a bit more than just gamers (lord knows how much many of us spend on hardware alone).

I see SteamOS as redundant and borderline niche/pointless in the grand scheme. If you want a console, buy and Xbox. If you want serious gaming, build a PC.

Interesting topic here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/458604254466394054/

Founder of X-Aviation

You are free to disagree with me, but all Mr. Russell said in this thread was that he values his time with family more than catering to arguably few people that would benefit from the Linux support, after which someone felt like schooling him about dealing with "customers" and how it is apparently having an "attitude". It just rubs me wrong, and I'm probably more passionate about it than it's good for my health  :Tounge:

Anyhow, JAR's airbuses seem to be working on LINUX pretty well too. (Even though they do not list it as a supported OS).

Look at it this way. You have two cars. Both can comfortably transport 5 people on a 50 mile commute. One, however, burns fuel at a rate of 1 gallon per 20 miles, and the other at 1 gallon per 50 miles. Which would you choose?

Linux simply runs more efficiently and allows a program that supports it to use a computer's resources better.

Now, for me, I might just run X-Plane in my Windows partition. It's not a question of refusal or making demands. I've already conceded the point that some companies, like X-A, have valid business reasons not to support it, and will not argue that point further.

I am in 1000% agreement with Pascal_LSGC, though. Yes, I'm quite sure there have been Linux users that have been rude and demanding, but it's not all of us, and stoking the flames with snide comments only contributes to the general and mutual lack of respect. Don't support it? Fine. State your reasons and leave it at that. No need to stoke the flames by directly or indirectly belittling those who do choose to use Linux as their OS of choice for X-Plane, because it only invokes the interpersonal relations law of reciprocity. You insult me, I'll feel the need to insult back, etc. I myself felt this and decided to leave the thread be for a bit.

And once again, as per the original topic, I appreciate the suggestions given since my last post. The Supercritical 747-8 has been in my crosshairs for some time. I've also got all my Flight Factor birds up and running. Been playing around with Ortho4XP for the time being as well.

• Upvote 1

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Look at it this way. You have two cars. Both can comfortably transport 5 people on a 50 mile commute. One, however, burns fuel at a rate of 1 gallon per 20 miles, and the other at 1 gallon per 50 miles. Which would you choose?

Pretty illogical anology, since Linux can't run the addons you want to run without issues. Hence this thread exist. So, it's more like you need to transport 10 people, you can choose either a minivan with 12 seats or a fiat punto-linuxo where you can fit barely 5. And feel free to point the post where Mr. Russell was so disrespectful you had to recall your retail days  :Tounge:.

Anyhow, it's probably not the palce to do so. Take care!

• Upvote 2

Pretty illogical anology, since Linux can't run the addons you want to run without issues.

X-Plane itself runs wonderfully, much better than it did on this same machine in Win 7. Perhaps the analogy wasn't completely apt, but my findings of better performance would be supported by the other Linux X-Plane users in this very thread.

As for add-ons, well, it seems to me that their not being compatible is a cost I'm willing to bear. Some developers have chosen to not support it for reasons they're perfectly within their right to have, and I have chosen to direct my patronage elsewhere for add-ons that meet my needs and desires. It's really as simple as that.

One thing I find interesting, however, is how the whole Windows vs. Linux debate mirrors the FSX/P3D vs. X-Plane debate. One would think X-Plane users would appreciate the idea that one could find enjoyment in using something not as popular as the mainstream alternative, but like the worst of the FSX users who have slammed X-Planers as using the inferior choice, there exists similar in this debate.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

This thread has now run its course and is now closed.

• Upvote 5