Sign in to follow this  
Manny

HDR in P3d V3.1

I used to love the Dusk environment during P3D V2.x   but in V3.1 with HDR I do not seem to have same enjoyment

To see good night lights I am having to turn off HDR..with HDR they look bad... Now matter what settings I choose.

Anyone else have this issue or noticed it?

Here is Dubai in P3D V2.3 (Fly tampa OMDB + Night Environment)

23503688294_848c060bc2_o.jpg

Here is the same scenery in P3D V3.1 (had to turn off HDR)

23836259050_aa769e7c0d_o.jpg

Its Dark and depressing.. IF I use the slider (Time preview) to the left (to get early dusk), the lights all turn off.

IF I turn back the HDR, the lights simply suck

This is not specific to night environment... The above two screenshot is of the same scenery... just the sims are different. Initially I though  it was Night scenery issue..now I am thinking the P3D V3.1 has changed something so radically and I am not getting the good old dusk environment (my fav time to fly in the sim)

P3D V3.1 with HDR on I get this garbage.

24131915185_27f3c82184_o.jpg

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I know this is a subjective assessment but the second shot looks far more realistic.

Not sure if it's any help, but people have mentioned that FTX Global lights appear to have some issues with P3D v3?

Ian R Tyldesley

FTX Global lights appear to have some issues with P3D v3?

These are not FTX Lights they are Night Environment lights 

In any case the lights are ok by themselves without HDR (with HDR they do not look right) ... but the issue is, Dusk is no more dusk..its like going from day time to night with a very very short and darker Dusk if I turn HDR off

IS there a setting in the cfg file where I can say, turn the lights on (all lights in the sim) sooner? :)

Manny

in the last image something looks wrong in the blend settings; you can’t see the Photoreal under it!

where is Dubai’s daytime Photoreal in your images?

did you move both day and night images for Dubai out of FT's scenery folder?

see in this clip; as soon as i take off the helipad look down; (set to 1080HD)

you can see the Photoreal coming through; in your images (all of them)

it seems like the default landcalss is coming through without any Photoreal below!

in the older sim we used to play with the day and night threshold settings to change that gap;

these settings supposedly no longer apply in P3D recent releases (i think since 2.3);

these settings are still published i just haven’t had to change anything so far,

see P3D v3 SDK (look right below in [Graphics] Section)

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/environment/compiling_bgl.html#Entries%20in%20the%20Prepar3D%20CFG%20File

FYI

Side by side Night Environment Dubai & Real world

Night Environment Dubai

2014_5_2_16_55_5_577.jpg

Real world

88631183.JJKOrM9i.GRUaerialsNov07291.jpg

Dubai_night_astrophoto_labelled.jpg

in the last image something looks wrong in the blend settings; you can’t see the Photoreal under it!

where is Dubai’s daytime Photoreal in your images?

did you move both day and night images for Dubai out of FT's scenery folder?

Hi Chris, in that you tube video..which version of P3D was that? 3.1? and if so whas the HDR on in that ?

Hmm...

Not sure about the FT Day and night.. I need to check that again or maybe reainstall Fly Tampa maybe?

Edited to add: My Fly tampa LC entry is missing in my scenery.cf.g./...I am doinga fresh install..lets see.. Hmmm

Manny

in the video it’s not P3D!

regardless; the point of it was to show you the missing Photoreal layer you don’t have there :)

the other was to give you an idea on what you should expect from Dubai at night;

Hi Chris..I am so sorry to bother you like this.

Yes... I have reinstalled my Fly tampa Duba and I now have Fly tampa  Dubai LC (which was missing earlier)  and then FT Dubai and then NE Dubai on top of that.

Is that the right order?

3  observations

1) It has noticeably improved ...when I am without HDR at night

2) with HDR the deep orange lights are flat (no yellow dots on them still) same issue

3) Some texture is bleeding through (area close to my plane) the NE street lights are  disappearing ... near me...as I fly along and the bottom layer is showing

I have messed up something for sure. :)

Can you please confirm the order of the scenery please

This is what I have

[Area.200]
Title=FlyTampa-Dubai_LC
Local=P:\P3D v3\FlyTampa\Dubai_LC
Layer=200
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.201]
Title=FlyTampa-Dubai
Local=P:\P3D v3\FlyTampa\Dubai
Layer=201
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.202]
Title=Night Environment Dubai
Local=aerosoft\Night Environment - Dubai
Layer=202
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

the other was to give you an idea on what you should expect from Dubai at night;

Yeah..your colors seem more realistic...

Manny

sounds like something is amiss there Manny; the lights shouldn’t disappear or flicker,
the order is correct; keep FT below NE; and make sure you disable FT night Photoreal layer!
that’s what bleeding through messing up the view with NE active;
follow these instructions to manually disable FT night texture;
or use the tool i created to do the work for you :hi:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/80841-night-environment-dubai-last-minute-instructions

All right Chris, ignore all my previous screenshots.. I had missed the FT Dubai LC folder

Now this is P3D V2.3 with the lC folder (fresh install of FT Dubai)

24054762661_d09c73abbc_o.jpg

Now they look good

with one issue... 

Before

23841713110_bbbb964e0a_o.jpg

After

23769562339_239292d346_b.jpg

in P3D V3.1 without HDR at night (side note..here too the orange lights disspear around the aircraft..like a lower layer is popping through

24111466196_2aa6bfe756_o.jpg

P3D V3.1 with HDR turned on

23509362754_345cf66331_o.jpg

sounds like something is amiss there Manny; the lights shouldn’t disappear or flicker,
the order is correct; keep FT below NE; and make sure you disable FT night Photoreal layer!
that’s what bleeding through messing up the view with NE active;

follow these instructions to manually disable FT night texture;
or use the tool i created to do the work for you :hi:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/80841-night-environment-dubai-last-minute-instructions

Ah ok..will do that now

Manny

nice! i know you can do it!

now it’s starting to look familiar; nice work there Manny :smile:

i have to air this out; when i created UAE i also made some correction to the LC there,

i wanted to include this in the release; but was advised against that,

when your issue is resolved; pm me on our forums i will look these up for you if you wish to play with these;

it’s meant to improve FT's LC and PR; i removed everything as you can see in image 7;

than redrawn using accurate vector data; added roads back with car traffic to enhance the night; just for fun!

dubai01.jpg

dubai02.jpg

dubai03.jpg

dubai04.jpg

dubai05.jpg

dubai06.jpg

dubai07.jpg

dubai08.jpg

dubai09.jpg

dubai10.jpg

All right Chris..renaming that FT Dubai Night BGL solved the bleed through texture issue

And here is how it looks in P3D V3.1 (without HDR). After fixing my mea culpa (after including the missing FT LC Folder) and renaming FT night bgl

FYI..in the monitor they look far more spectacular than these screenshots (which becomes dull in screen capture)

24137918145_915336b379_o.jpg

at Dusk

23510094494_8684fd4843_o.jpg

So the only open issue is to make this work with the HDR (since the bloom with HDR brightens things up and the difference between the V2.x and V3.1)

And thank you Chris...for everything.! You are awesome and your night scenery is awesome!

:)

Manny

YVW Manny anytime :hi:

I’m always happy to help our loyal supporters like yourself,

now you should go back to the instructions i gave you earlier today on our forums;

turn HDR back on; and use the HDR sliders to get less saturates orange; and more bloom for the 3D lights,

the right elements are there to play along; they will respond correctly now;

give it another go; you won’t regret it,

you can adjust these settings from within the Sim; and check,

you don’t need to exit; you can do this while in flight session

Ah thanks Chris for working with me for so long.. Now everything is perfect.

NE does work with HDR and I can adjust bloom and what not to my hearts content... 

I just had to reinstall my NE Dubai into my P3D V3.1 folder and that fixed it. I also deleted the shader files. for good measure. 

Here are the Early Dusk to mid dusk to late dusk... with HDR turned on

24113597016_ca7953e404_o.jpg

24031608972_e0d93f2e2f_o.jpg

23844049170_9da9307017_o.jpg

AT NIGHT

23513036373_9b62f7fe57_o.jpg

Yeah..with HDR saturation, Brightness and Bloom, I can adjust this to what I like to see

Thank you thank you.

Most of the problem was self created.. I had deleted the Fly tampa Dubai's LC entry from my scnery.cfg and my NE install was not right..so it compounded the issue

Alls well that ends well!

:wub:

• Upvote 1

Manny