Hi.  I've recently finished my 4K PC build, and after playing around with the graphic settings, I noticed that 1080p resolution is sharper than 4K.  I initially wanted to build a 4K setup so the text and panels will be clear to read, but it turns out that the 1080p setting gives a clearer image.  Can anyone explain why?

4k.png

1080P.png4k2.png1080P2.png

Define "clearer".

Your eyesight might be in question here.

Pierre

The best example is to refer to the altitude bug in the picture I've attached.

If you save both pictures and compare by switching back and forth, you can tell that the text on the 1080P resolution is sharper. Can you see it?

By the way, the 1080P screenshots are the 2nd and 4th images.

I have a 4K setup and certain gauges can seem softer, probably due to upscaling of the gauge/LCD displays which are natively closer to the 1080 resolution.

All polygon rendered items such as autogen, buildings, airports and the aircraft themselves (inc VC) are much crisper at 4K than 1080P.

I have a 4K setup and certain gauges can seem softer, probably due to upscaling of the gauge/LCD displays which are natively closer to the 1080 resolution.

All polygon rendered items such as autogen, buildings, airports and the aircraft themselves (inc VC) are much crisper at 4K than 1080P.

Thanks for the info. The gauges make sense, but I do still see sharper objects with the autogen buildings as shown in the 3rd and 4th picture. Again, easiest to compare after saving both pictures and flipping back and forth.

If you are referring to autogen textures then the same applies as with gauges. 

However the actual building models will be higher resolution assuming you have set 3840x2160 in P3D.

Just had a look at the saved 4K and 1080P images, and the 4K image looks like an upscaled 1080 image rather than a native 4K image.

Any idea why it looks to be that way? I have all settings maxed out in both resolutions.

I can....it all has to do with distance from the monitor and/or tv.  There is a great article, that states that 4K past a certain distance from the monitor/tv, will NOT look any clearer than 1080P...and conversely, 720P will look just as good as 1080P, if far away enough.  I couldn't believe when the article stated that for a 60 inch  4K monitor/TV, you'd have to sit as close as 5-6 feet away to see any benefit beyond a 1080P. For 1080P, you can sit with the same TV, as far back as 10 feet away..and your eyes would 'see' the same pixel clarity.  If you sit 10-to infinity feet away from your TV/Monitor...you can have a 720P display, and your eye will 'see' the same clarity as if you had a 1080P...from 7-12 feet.

There is a lot of confusion on this...but basically, it is the distance of your eyes, from the display that will either make a 4K monitor, add value over a 1080P, or not.  If you have a 4K TV, and sit back anything much over 5-7 feet at 60 inch...you are not seeing the pixel density, much more over a 1080P

I couldn't believe when the article stated that for a 60 inch  4K monitor/TV, you'd have to sit as close as 5-6 feet away to see any benefit beyond a 1080P. For 1080P, you can sit with the same TV, as far back as 10 feet away..and your eyes would 'see' the same pixel clarity.

Sorry Mitch, but you have it all mixed up again.  Easy test, just walk into any TV/electronics store, and stand 10 feet from a 60" 4K uHD TV and 10 feet from a standard 60" HD TV (1080p) ... view the same content (native uHD on 4K TV and native HD on HD TV), if you can't tell the difference then I honestly suggest you see an eye doctor (being serious).

There is some truth in what you say, but how your saying is proportionally wrong and the conclusions you've come by are wrong (yes there is a right and wrong here, it's not personal preference) ... so sure, if you stand far enough away from anything (not just a TV) you'll not be able to distinguish the difference ... that's just basic biology of how human eyes work.  Let me ask you this, can you see the electrons orbiting the atoms that make up your hand?

Can anyone explain why?

Suggest you do a video so we can get a better idea and be sure to record your Zoom levels, wideview setting (if used) and graphics display options in P3D and graphics display options NVCP (or AMD's) ... also provide brand and model number for your 4K TV and finally the video card brand/model used and the connection type used (HDMI 1.4, 2.0, Display port 1.2, 1.3) to TV (RGB full vs YCrCb).

Looking at the pictures you posted the 4K image looks heavily compressed with lots of compression artifacts.

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry Mitch, but you have it all mixed up again.  Easy test, just walk into any TV/electronics store, and stand 10 feet from a 60" 4K uHD TV and 10 feet from a standard 60" HD TV (1080p) ... view the same content (native uHD on 4K TV and native HD on HD TV), if you can't tell the difference then I honestly suggest you see an eye doctor (being serious).

There is some truth in what you say, but how your saying is proportionally wrong and the conclusions you've come by are wrong (yes there is a right and wrong here, it's not personal preference) ... so sure, if you stand far enough away from anything (not just a TV) you'll not be able to distinguish the difference ... that's just basic biology of how human eyes work.  Let me ask you this, can you see the electrons orbiting the atoms that make up your hand?

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rob...I'll try to track down the article and all its examples. It was a guide  for a homeowner to decide if 4K from their viewing depth would be much better, than a 1080P display.  If I can find it again...I'll post for your read.... :)

BTW, Rob...what's with the 'you have it mixed up again', lol...I never commented yet on the topic until this post...(smile).

Some 4K distance to view commentary:

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

On a 50-inch 1080p HD display, most consumers can begin to distinguish individual pixels only when standing within six feet of the screen. Therefore if your viewing distance is 10 feet or greater, an Ultra HD 50-inch display will likely have little perceived benefit in terms of image clarity and sharpness – which can be attributed directly to the increase in pixel count. On the other hand, if you work in a field such as graphic design and sit approximately two feet from your 32-inch display, even at a screen size of just 32 inches, the benefits of 4K resolution will likely be noticeable as a result of the narrow viewing distance.

Mitch

Thanks for checking in Rob.  I've provided the following:

4k TV: Sony XBR65X810C

- According to Rtings, it has:

- 4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4: Yes

- 4k @ 60Hz: Yes
    - 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: Yes
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4996-KR
Display Port:  Not sure what this is, but I don't have one.
4K%20Prepar3d%20Settings.png
1080P%20%20Prepar3d%20Settings.png

Nvidia%20Settings1.png

Nvidia%20Settings2.png

I just noticed that every time I tried recording the 4K resolution in fraps (original quality), the video output is 1704x960, which is why the youtube video is only in 720P.  It must be a fraps issue since the screenshot in the first post was in 4K resolution.

It must be a fraps issue since the screenshot in the first post was in 4K resolution.

Suggest using nVidia's ShadowPlay with a 980Ti for recording, much easier on FPS.

Not sure I understand your sequence of screenshots?  Where is the screenshot of the NCP resolution settings for when you are running in 3840 x 2160? ... I only see 1920 x 1080 and it's output dynamic range is set to "Limited"?  BTW, you don't want "Limited" if you can avoid it.

Cheers, Rob.

Suggest using nVidia's ShadowPlay with a 980Ti for recording, much easier on FPS.

Not sure I understand your sequence of screenshots?  Where is the screenshot of the NCP resolution settings for when you are running in 3840 x 2160? ... I only see 1920 x 1080 and it's output dynamic range is set to "Limited"?  BTW, you don't want "Limited" if you can avoid it.

Cheers, Rob.

I changed it to Full as soon as I posted that screenshot.

As for my NCP resolution, I don't like to keep it on 3840x2160 because all the menus and things are very tiny.