Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Which version to use

I use FSX-SE because I can install FSX in one step. While the Gold version, you have to apply tweaks, uiautomationcore.dll, etc, before installing the add-ons. FSX-SE doesn't really need any tweaking, so I left my CFG file without tweaks.

Not to mention, you need to insert three disks during the install process. No disks required for FSX-SE as it's all digital. There's also no need to put in two separate activation keys for FSX Deluxe and Acceleration with Steam. With each key requiring you to load FSX once, close it and open it up again to begin flying. You just install it and it does everything for you.

Lot of talk here about the "Gold Version".

For clarity, I'd like to point out that there is no such thing as the "Gold" version.

FSX Gold is a marketing package that contains FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration, and the user has to choose which to install.

Since nobody has the "FSX Gold Version" installed, it would help clarity things if one would specify whether they installed FSX Deluxe or FSX Acceleration, though the primary changes are only a few additional scenery items and aircraft.

Happy flights moving into 2016!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

FSX:SE goes on sale often.  I picked it up for about 7 dollars IIRC before the holiday.  Not sure why it was 7 and now it's 5, but a couple months back it was 25.  I doubt it's a huge seller anyhow.  FS is already a niche product, then it's 10 years old on top of that.  Not to mention there is X-Plane and Prepar3d. 

Personally for me, I never really got into FSX and only had the original FSX disc, not the Acceleration pack or anything.  They no longer sell them so unless you have the full set of DVDs you're left out really.  A good number of add-ons won't work without the full packages. 

I didn't want to spend a fortune on P3D and be disappointed, nor do I feel that X-Plane is there yet.  Neither really have a boatload of add-ons anyhow.  While I think that the future will be P3D and perhaps X-Plane, depending on add-ons, for now I chose to stick with FSX Steam.

FWIW, I am running steam just fine.  No weird issues at all.  PMDG 737NGX and MD-11 work flawlessly.  Yes the MD-11 isn't supported but it works.  You have the PMDG 777 as well, but I don't like long flights and wasn't driven to the 777 like I was the MD.  I just do short cargo hauls on the MD.  Then there is the RealAir Duke with integrated GTN 750 from Flight One.  The RealAir Duke is a beautifully crafted twin turbo.  The GTN 750 is basically the real GPS from Garmin.  An upgrade over the Reality XP 430/530, even though I loved those gauges.

There's also the Dash-8 from Majestic.  Another top-notch add-on that works in Steam.  I haven't bought it yet, but it's considered a high quality must-have.  A2A and Carenado appear to all work fine too, at least the newer birds.  A lot of scenery is GTG.

Personally I'd look a what you are wanting to do and what add-ons you want.  If they work in Steam then just get it.  I have had great success so far.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

SteveW , I won't need to mess with those two files unless I want to download. older add ons, is that correct? If I download add ons compatable with steam, then all I have to do is download Steam , correct? I've been using. FSXAcceleration,

Even if you are starting with a clean slate you might expect not to need them but even updated addons continue to use the simconnect versions they were originally programmed for. Where's the problem installing those anyway? You can have any number of those files to no ill effect.

.msi files are like setup.exe files, they install software, other than double-clicking the file there's nothing else to do. But true if you only install addons *specifically designed for FSX-SE* they might still use the FSX simconnect versions. The FSX-SE install only installs the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\SimConnect.msi for you. Simcoonnect versions are like menus of functions the programs can access, all the main code is in the sim and Windows. But anyway simconnect is the least of your problems once you set that up as I suggested.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Since nobody has the "FSX Gold Version" installed, it would help clarity things if one would specify whether they installed FSX Deluxe or FSX Acceleration, though the primary changes are only a few additional scenery items and aircraft.

Before I had FSX-SE, I had both FSX Deluxe and Acceleration installed.

I bought Steam for £5 a year ago and it's still sitting in my download folder. I have no plans to install it any time soon.

The main reason - and I haven't seen anyone else mention this which surprises me - is because I would lose the ability to use AES. I've paid well over £100 for all my credits and although I have GSX I would still be gutted to lose so much money.

Yes, Steam is slightly smoother, you get a few more fps and VAS handling is better but it's still not enough for this user to make the switch.

My main reason for staying with FSX:SP2 is compatibility with FSLabs ConcordeX but a version that will run with both Steam and P3D is currently in beta. But rather than switch to Steam I think it more likely I will eventually switch to P3D as it has more  long-term potential.

Steam is a short-term fix and has no future. It will soon be replaced by Dovetail's own sim and whatever that brings.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I saw the price of steam at about $ 5.00 is that right? If so I wonder why?

The'll get you later on the DLC.  :P

I gave it a try (FSX-SE) one month ago and never looked back. Performs and looks much better than FSX in my system. PMDG 777 and 737 work like a charm (even without the last VAS fix).

I am very happy with W10+FSX-SE. My pc never run fsx better than now.

Best.

Miquel

Most of our team of beta testers has moved to the Steam version and we are very happy we did. We have have a rather substantial amount if payware products, and most everything works except a few of the Flight products.

As usual, Steve's post regarding FSX:SE is right of target, though I don't think he meant it as a deturrent, but rather something which is technically accurate.

For the average FSX user who runs or will be installing a fair amount of addons, I strongly recommend a fresh install of Windows Before SWITCHING From FSX Disk to FSX Stesm.

Happy flights into 2016!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

That procedure, which is highly similar to the one I published years ago. It is for FSX removal and re-installation of FSX.  When going from FSX to FSX:SE, many other factors come into play.

Now I'm not saying one CAN'T do it, I'm saying the average FSX user would be better off taking the hour it takes to reinstall Windows and move forward without headaches from the left over FSX and FSX Addon Registry entries which can cause problems for Addons.  Steam will install just fine with those registry entries present, but it's the Addon installs that will give people grief down the road.

Better to move forward with a clean system.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Happy flights.

Dave Hodges

As usual, Steve and Ray is on the point. I'm staying on FSX Accel, my well tuned networked setup since 5 years (!) delivers what I need.

Will not change until I build a new beast and start fresh with P3D, btw interesting to follow that discussion too, deja vú from the F9-FSX discussion ten years ago, still going on too :)

Happy New Year friends!

23.png

If Flight1 lowers their prices for the GTN packages I will switch to FSX:SE or P3D but until then I will keep flying FSX Gold and the Reality XP package.

In that case, you are going to be on FSX Gold for a while..  :smile:

Bert