Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Which version to use

I doubt it's a huge seller anyhow.  FS is already a niche product, then it's 10 years old on top of that.  Not to mention there is X-Plane and Prepar3d. 

back in march 2015 dovetail said 200,000 copies sold. pretty impressive for a 10 year old sim. in the last 9 months i'm sure that number has increased a bit more.

my .02 on the issue is it's performance and stability is totally worth the upgrade especially at $5 . it kind of revitalized fsx for me since before the steam version i avoided getting payware airports since they killed my fps too much, but now i am loving them despite having a fairly old computer.

the only addon i can't use that i miss is the fslabs concorde and supposedly that update is coming pretty soon.woo!

cheers

-andy crosby

back in march 2015 dovetail said 200,000 copies sold. pretty impressive for a 10 year old sim. in the last 9 months i'm sure that number has increased a bit more.

my .02 on the issue is it's performance and stability is totally worth the upgrade especially at $5 . it kind of revitalized fsx for me since before the steam version i avoided getting payware airports since they killed my fps too much, but now i am loving them despite having a fairly old computer.

the only addon i can't use that i miss is the fslabs concorde and supposedly that update is coming pretty soon.woo!

cheers

-andy crosby

That's pretty good but not much in the grand scheme of things.  I never played FSX.  When it came out I had FS9 built up pretty good and FSX was just too much trouble with no add-ons.  I tried it and removed it within a few days lol. 

Steam is good though now with add ons.  :-)

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Flight Simulator has fueled my passion for flying and fast computers going back to the late 80s, early 90s.  I've got CDs going back to Flight Simulator 2000, Professional Edition, and if I look hard enough, I could probably find 3.5s of earlier versions.  So when FSX-SE and P3D came out, I eagerly installed them along with FSX Acc. and X-plane.  I had to have them all!  It really became a nightmare to manage.  When I finally installed a SSD, I did a clean install of Windows and loaded FSX Acc.  All of my add-ons have worked great, from some of my older planes to some of the newest planes and airports, and I haven't felt a great need to upgrade my system from my circa 2012 build.  I find myself spending much more time flying than trying to manage different sims and tweaking add-ons to get them to work.  Every once in a while, I get the urge to install P3D or SE, but when that happens, I will go pick up a new add-on, install it, then fly for a couple of hours and the urge goes away.  I'm waiting for the next great version of FS (64?) but until then, I think I'll stick with FSX Acc.

Mike McWilliams

Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard, Intel i7-3820 CPU, AMD Radeon R9 200 3 GB video card, Corsair DDR3 16GB SDRAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

P3D v3 - fixed the vas issue - I've moved on to greener pastures. I only have FSX installed for some beta testing

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=english

There are over 3k users playing FSX Steam Edition currently, that is pretty good statistics.

In that case, you are going to be on FSX Gold for a while..  :smile:

Too bad. Cannot bring myself to upgrade, P3Dv3.1 looks so great... but $100 for the GTN packages, 150 for the 777, 120 for the 737, 20-80 for RealAir and A2A P3D versions... I don't have the disposable income I used to have a few years ago when I would purchase every new addon available for FSX. I might dual boot when the PMDG 747v2 is released and buy the P3D version of that. I am stuck turning off all my custom AI and not use Orbx regions to save vas in FSX:Accel.

Too bad. Cannot bring myself to upgrade, P3Dv3.1 looks so great... but $100 for the GTN packages, 150 for the 777, 120 for the 737, 20-80 for RealAir and A2A P3D versions... I don't have the disposable income I used to have a few years ago when I would purchase every new addon available for FSX. I might dual boot when the PMDG 747v2 is released and buy the P3D version of that. I am stuck turning off all my custom AI and not use Orbx regions to save vas in FSX:Accel.

Don't feel too bad.. I have P3Dv3.1 installed and it works fine.. but I fly FSX more.   :smile:

Bert

Don't feel too bad.. I have P3Dv3.1 installed and it works fine.. but I fly FSX more.   :smile:

I spent Oct-Dec downloading all the flight plans I could find and repaints and adding them to FSX. But when I fly now I have to only activate the scenery I fly to, and run 0% traffic to get respectable fps and not oom. I tried a lot of AI traffic but my FSX cannot handle it with addon aircraft.

That has always been true with Flight Simulator, right from the beginning.

Add enough addons, and you will get to the point where you overload the simulator.

P3D is no different in this regard.   :wink:

Best remedy is usually faster hardware.. and/or cutting back on settings.

Bert

That has always been true with Flight Simulator, right from the beginning.

Add enough addons, and you will get to the point where you overload the simulator.

P3D is no different in this regard.   :wink:

Best remedy is usually faster hardware.. and/or cutting back on settings.

I had FS9 running fine but with FSX and all the Ai textures plus the larger detailed virtual cockpits of current aircraft, it fills up the vas limit.

As I said..

But P3D is better, it will dump unnecessary scenery outisde where you are flying to help with vas, unlike fsx. Iif I take off in an Orbx region, and leave, it will dump the scenery from memory in P3D.

Thanks to a computer crash, I started over with a new build around an i76700k, an OEM Win10 pro OS, and FSX-SE.  The only things I salvaged were my hard drives and SSDs plus I added a 1 terabyte SSD 'C' drive. 

Other than installing the legacy SDK' I also found it necessary to add to install NET. Framework 3.5,  4.5 comes with Win10.  With those changes everything installs and works perfectly.  Of course the faster hardware doesn't hurt either. :smile:

But P3D is better, it will dump unnecessary scenery outisde where you are flying to help with vas, unlike fsx. Iif I take off in an Orbx region, and leave, it will dump the scenery from memory in P3D.

Yes, P3D has better memory management - that does not mean you cannot overload it  :wink:

Bert