Thanks guys for spending time helping. I can't find the xps on the uk fell site ses. Charlatan I didn't even notice it was discontinued http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Range/Next+Day+Gaming+PCs/GLADIATOR+AMD+FX-8350+%2F+GTX960+Next+Day+Gaming+PC+?operation=shoppingBasketAdd&productId=63434&context=systems but noticed this is amd rather than Intel does this make a difference? Clocked to 4.2ghz

Thanks again guys

Yes, the Dell XPX730x was discontinued the same year that Dell bought Alienware. You'd have to find one on the second hand market...but trust me..it is worth the effort...as well as cost savings to you.

Except the most important thing, the CPU of course.

\

And why would that be?   You'd only have to upgrade to the latest ATX motherboard that hosts the CPU socket and series that you'd want.... But actually, one of the best Intel series ever produced, was the Extreme i7 series in the 975 and 980 die. I think that Moores Law died with their birth....

Err... Dell might not but everyone else does. You are 5 years behind the times my friend. :smile:

I have not see a case that is equal to the strength and weight specs of the Dell XPX730x cases that were fabricated in Japan, and then sent over for populating.  The thing is a beast, and incredibly well made and finished, inside and out.  I'll rebuid with this cabinet, until dust takes me... :)

Oh right, so you are talking about the enclosure are you, not including the componants inside.

Again, not true, there's a plethora of top-notch PC enclosures out there.

And I'm not sure why weight convinces you it's an awesome enclosure. Weight is a disadvantage unless you have a fetish for the bench press and stack your steroids.

A well desighned enclosure is only as heavy as it needs to be. And preferably aluminium because it conducts heat better.

Try a quality aluminium enclosure and you'll be reluctant to go back to heavy, crappy steel.

Then we have cooling, cable management and a multitude of other aspects you haven't mentioned

I have a Lian Li PC-X510... You should check one out in the flesh, it may give you a better perspective.

Or Case Labs.... Now they are certainly awesome cases.

Oh right, so you are talking about the enclosure are you, not including the componants inside.

Again, not true, there's a plethora of top-notch PC enclosures out there.

And I'm not sure why weight convinces you it's an awesome enclosure. Weight is a disadvantage unless you have a fetish for the bench press and stack your steroids.

A well desighned enclosure is only as heavy as it needs to be. And preferably aluminium because it conducts heat better.

Try a quality aluminium enclosure and you'll be reluctant to go back to heavy, crappy steel.

Then we have cooling, cable management and a multitude of other aspects you haven't mentioned

I have a Lian Li PC-X510... You should check one out in the flesh, it may give you a better perspective.

Or Case Labs.... Now they are certainly awesome cases.

Everything you mentioned...is already been there, done that, with the Dell XPX730x case and internals....beautifully routed, and managed cables from the factory.tri-level zoned cooling to block heat transfer from one collective function to the other...strategic fan placements, all thermal controlled, variable speed, does their work seamlessly as per system load demand.  PSU cage totally isolated from the rest of the casing, and stationed at the top, to keep its heat from rising onto other internals.  CPU situated at the dead bottom of the case, to be stationed at the coolest environment, etc... An extremely well thought out, premium system, components, as well as physical design.

The motherboard, PSU, i7-Extreme CPU family, air-cooler....all top notch from launch....and has never had a failure of any component, since 2009, with on-average usage of 20 hours a day.  All quality components, always producing a quality interaction. 

Yes..I highly recommend this be procurred from the second-hand market...for Dell management of the day, were sheer idiots to ever have stopped the XP line of in-house design. It was the one thing they got absolutely right...but the bean counters killed it off with the acquisition of Alienware...but hey...it's my opinion...and not to change your opinion...and was intended to answer the O.P. in alternative thinking....

Oh BTW...weight, as per an enclosure, is never a disadvantage with electronics...for a strong and heavy mass will dampen any and all primary and secondary system vibration by rotating parts, while aluminum, not so much.  Aluminum is sympathetic to a vibrational load, and furthermore...98 percent of system heat is evacuated via air flow brought on by movement of the case fans...and NOT by convection through the metal mass of the case, whether it be steel, or aluminum.  That point is mute.  But anyways....

Cheers,

Ses

Charlotan I seam to be getting most help answers from you and thanks for your time looking at systems. Am I correct saying the I want to upgrade graphics card to the 970 and motherboard on this system https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Systems/Gaming+Range/Value+Gamer/GLADIATOR+PHOENIX+-+Intel+i3-4170+%2F+GTX950+Gaming+PC+?productId=63103

Thanks, Paul

No problem mate.

Nope it's the Yoyotech one you want, http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/warbird-h230-quad-core-i5-6600k-gaming-desktop

Personally, if you go with it, spend the £88 as I mentioned to upgrade to the 970 and 600w Aerocool PSU.  Just click on the customise button under the price, and it's fairly self explanatory

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Everything you mentioned...is already been there, done that, with the Dell XPX730x case and internals....beautifully routed, and managed cables from the factory.tri-level zoned cooling to block heat transfer from one collective function to the other...strategic fan placements, all thermal controlled, variable speed, does their work seamlessly as per system load demand. PSU cage totally isolated from the rest of the casing, and stationed at the top, to keep its heat from rising onto other internals. CPU situated at the dead bottom of the case, to be stationed at the coolest environment, etc...

More hyperbole. Show me a schematic of the enclosure! And you think no other PC enclosure manufacturer has equalled this Dell masterpiece? :wink: It's old hat my friend. As I said...there's a plethora of well designed PC enclosures out there. Your Dell fetish is misplaced.

"PSU at the top for example", sorry but this isn't a Dell invention, and it's not revolutionary. All enclosures were made this way. Again, old hat. These days PC enclosure manufactures, as a result of testing with thermal cameras, are aware that a PSU at the bottom of the enclosure isn't an issue, in fact it's way more convenient. It has been demonstrated definitively that any rising heat from the PSU is minimal and doesn't impact enclosure cooling one iota. Do you really believe, that the vast majority of PC enclosures, that now have the PSU at the bottom, are failing catastrophically? Or compromised in any way? Of course not... PC's are running just fine thanks!

Multi-zoned cooling you say... again, old hat. There's a multitude of enclosures out there [including my X510] that incorporate this in the design. [Not that it makes much difference].

CPU situated at the dead bottom of the case, to be stationed at the coolest environment, etc...

Except that it's a myth. This notion that "hot air rising in an enclosure is an issue" has been demonstrated to be nonsense. If you have airflow through an enclosure, then no there is no catastrophic hot zone due to heat rising, it's nonsense. The mixing of air in an enclosure negates such a scenario. Stagnant areas can of course occur in a positive pressure scenario however. And of course...you may be situating the CPU in what you perceive as a "cooler area" but at the same time you are using a CPU air cooler that's blowing hot air from the CPU into that very zone.

The motherboard, PSU, i7-Extreme CPU family, air-cooler....all top notch from launch....

If you think the stock cooler competes with the NH-D15, then you are living in another dimension. :smile:

Oh BTW...weight, as per an enclosure, is never a disadvantage with electronics...for a strong and heavy mass will dampen any and all primary and secondary system vibration by rotating parts, while aluminum, not so much. Aluminum is sympathetic to a vibrational load, and furthermore...98 percent of system heat is evacuated via air flow brought on by movement of the case fans...and NOT by convection through the metal mass of the case, whether it be steel, or aluminum. That point is mute. But anyways....

Of course weight is a disadvantage. we all move our enclosures around now and again. Of course if you are taking decadurabolin and have 20 inch biceps you are okay!

As for dampening any vibrations, you imply that just because it's aluminium it will have vibrations... nonsense! PC enclosure manufactures aren't idiots, the aluminium is thick enough, and the design sturdy enough to prevent vibrations. There has been no annoying vibrations in any of the aluminium cases I have owned. do you think Case Labs and Lian Li and Silverstone sell premium quality aluminium cases that vibrate noticeable? You have some strange ideas.

As I said, once you have experienced a well made brushed aluminium enclosure from the likes of Case Labs, Silverstone, or Lian Li... you will probably kiss it and want tyo marry it. You may ask it to bear your children!!! :lol:

98 percent of system heat is evacuated via air flow brought on by movement of the case fans...and NOT by convection through the metal mass of the case, whether it be steel, or aluminum.

Yes I'm aware of that "Dell Fetish Boy"...but if you love hyperbole, then so do I!

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread. :smile:

• Upvote 1

then you are living in another dimension.

------------------------------------------------------------------

You're very much right...the dimension of system satisfaction.  End of story.

Ses.

:BigGrin:

Yes I'm aware of that "Dell Fetish Boy"...but if you love hyperbole, then so do I!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grow up martin-w....your comment above, was infantile.

To the O.P.   if you don't find anything you like...I still suggest you give the system I suggested a review.  It will certainly work for you. Enough said.

AvP Viper Micro ATX Gaming Case

Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Dual Core Processor (overclocked to up to 3.8GHz)

Chillblast Centurion Direct Contact CPU Cooler

Asus B85M-G Motherboard with USB 3.0

GeForce GTX 960 2GB Graphics Card

8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory (runs at 1333MHz)

1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk

24 x DVD-RW Optical Drive

500watt 80+ Aerocool PSU

Onboard High Definition Audio

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Peripherals:

23" Asus VC239H IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

Zalman ZM-K200M Gaming Keyboard

Zalman ZM-M200 Gaming Mouse

From chill blast and £699 for everything.

All I am looking for is smooth performance with reasonably High settings and a few add ons

And thanks again

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grow up martin-w....your comment above, was infantile.

To the O.P.   if you don't find anything you like...I still suggest you give the system I suggested a review.  It will certainly work for you. Enough said.

Actually the big smiling face was my attempt to end the discussion on a friendly humerous note.

As for "Dell Fetish Boy"... that was also intended as humour, not an insult and certainly not infantile. Oh well, at least I tried.

Having said that, there was truth in my words. You do seem to exaggerate and it's important when helping others that we try not to.

Great news you are happy with your system though, that's the main thing.

Well thank for the input and the bickering! I opted for a chill blast system I will let you know results.

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

Well thank for the input and the bickering! I opted for a chill blast system I will let you know results.

Congrats...enjoy your new system! :)

Should be decent.  That CPU will overclock to 4.2ghz without even trying.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/329116-fsxmark11/?p=3101062

That was with a much worse graphics card than you.  Get that chip clocked to 4.2ghz, you shouldn't need to touch the voltage or anything, just change the ratio they have set to 38 to 42

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427