Sign in to follow this  
Stefan Muehlemann

Cloud brightness dawn/dusk/night

Hello.

Why are cluds white without any light? The clouds should be darker. I've tried to set the lightning in the display settings but i couldn't fix it.

Any idea?

Sorry for my english.

Kind regards

Stefan Mühlemann

Yes. Clouds should be much darker during night (no full moon). I tried different HDR settings but this does not change cloud brightness. Some shader settings (HDSL?) have been discussed during v2. Don't know if this is still applicable with v3.1.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Continues to be an issue with the look and realism of night flying in P3D.

In v2, as others have mentioned, we went through lots of tweaking to get BLACK nights (when it should be of course)...

Super dark night flying, along with all the cockpit challenges of that, are really quite fun actually.

Would love a slider of some kind to handle this in settings..

I agree. The clouds are way too bright. So are the ground textures and everything else. Feels like i am flying at dawn for 8 hours.

The way I have worked around this is:

1. Fly at night with no cloud and no moon to give the darkest night.  But that would not solve your issue if you do want clouds.

2. I have a setting on my displays that I can switch to when flying at night.  The RGB is adjusted to give the darkest appearance possible.

Only suggestions... as you know we cannot achieve total darkness like in real life.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It is not about total darkness, OP was talking about white/bright clouds. IMO clouds should appear more dark-grey, bareley noticeable.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yes, this is a bit annoying, if anyone figures out a solution, please share.

It was so annoying. You may try solution that i've done for myself by modifying shaders file.

modified file:

instructions how to set up:

1. Close P3D if already running

2. Pls make a backup (copy) of your default shaders file [Prepar3d directory]\ShadersHLSL\Cloud.fx

3. Copy modifed shaders file Cloud.fx_ver[X] (now it is in version 5 so file name is Cloud.fx_ver5) to [Prepar3d directory]\ShadersHLSL\. And rename it to Cloud.fx (with overwrite existing file)

4. Clear the shaders cache: Delete all files in directory [disk where Windows was set up]:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders\

5. Thats all. Just start Prepar3D.

If something goes wrong (artefacts, FPS decrease, or you dont like how clouds looks now) restore previous state by:

1. Close P3D if running

2. Copy previously reserved file Cloud.fx to [Prepar3d directory]\ShadersHLSL\Cloud.fx.

3. Clear the shaders cache: Delete all files in directory [disk where Windows was set up]:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders\

4. Restart PC.

What was modifyied in clouds in tweaked file:

- clouds color in dusk/dawn was enhanced to get more picturesque scene

- dusk/dawn overlight was eliminated

- night clouds luminance was tied to moon (volume, light volume etc.)

- cloud in daytime slightly "volumized"

And I recommend use REX Soft Clouds with this modified shader. it looks great in my opinion.

[sorry for my English]

Interested in this issue as I have the same feeling about night flights.<br /><br />I have bookmarked this topic and will test this shader mod hopefullly tonight at home. Thanks :)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Hey guys.

Im a stupid man. I have deleted my original cloud fx file.

Chan someone put the original file into this chat?

Kind regards

You may try solution that i've done for myself by modifying shaders file.

Firstly, thank you for tweaking such files and for discovering the haze tweak which I believe is now being packaged into an installer by someone else.

I'd love to give this a go but I think REX 4 Texture Direct also modifies 'cloud.fx' to increase the size of clouds, thereby eliminating the 'popcorn' effect as far as possible. If only I knew what changes REX makes to this file, then I could essentially have your tweaked values as well as the larger clouds.

I'm going to follow this topic and keep a sharp eye on what becomes of it.

Just erased ALL clouds for me, sorry.  V3.2

- Daniel

Daniel, sorry for this, but it was old version file for Prepar3D v3.1 only, so now I removed link to the file.

krazyk, yes, I hope great utility tool by Pe11e will be the most convenient way to make such adjustments

Pe11e released a shader mod that helped with this and he's now about to release a new version with a GUI and sliders to fine tune the adjustments. Takes all the work out of tweaking numbers one at a time. Should be out by the weekend (as far as the last update says).

It was so annoying. You may try solution that i've done for myself by modifying shaders file.

modified file:

Thanks but link does not work - you delete the file ? 

Rich Sennett